Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Hellboy
Banned

Default Penalties for prolonged inversion or spinning?

Wondering if anyone knows any writings on this. Pro wrestling fandom here, commentators elaborate on how the blood rushes to the head when someone lifts someone into an inverted suplex and stalls them up there for several seconds, or Antonio Cesaro's practice of spinning them in circles for several seconds before throwing them. Not sure how prolonged posturr-based grappling holds/position shifts would inflict penalties.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #2
Ashtagon

Default Re: Penalties for prolonged inversion or spinning?

My initial thought on this is that research by NASA or the USAF would be the most likely place to look for solid data on what happens.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:04 AM   #3
Anaraxes

Though if the game is supposed to be emulating pro wrestling, then actual facts are perhaps not of much interest. As in so many other cases, you'd want to model the cinematic fiction so that the game produces appropriate results.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:51 AM   #4
Hellboy
Banned

In that case can start with realistic penalties and just double them. Disorientation probably is realistic, what is cinematic is being able to get those odd holds in the first place and not having people escape from them as you set them up.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
In that case can start with realistic penalties and just double them. Disorientation probably is realistic, what is cinematic is being able to get those odd holds in the first place and not having people escape from them as you set them up.
In the most recent season of America's Got Talent*, there was a brother-sister pair who's act mostly consisted of the brother spinning his sister at speeds pro wrestlers couldn't even dream of**, with her doing complicated acro(aero?)batics without any sign of disorientation. Granted, this is something she specifically trained for, but from that I'd say humans probably can't generate enough G-force to really cause the whole "blood rushing to the head" thing, at least not enough for disorientation of someone who is hopped up on adrenaline and similar combat hormones.

*I only saw part of one episode, which was apparently their last act, so can only comment on that one. It was pretty darn impressive, and I'm honestly confused it didn't go forward, but whatever.
**Special stage, use of roller blades, and significant windup at the start with the two working together to build up speed. Also, the brother had a great deal more mass than the sister, hence him being the anchor. I'm pretty certain they were operating at pretty near the peak of what a muscle-powered human centrifuge can accomplish.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Hellboy
Banned

I can whip my arm in a circle long enough to rush blood to hand. This is probably faster than anyone can spin a whole person though. Even against cruiserweights Cesaro never spun as feet as my arm.

That said it may take less force to disorient the head. When I hang upside down with gray boots my hands feel fine (not swollen like when 360ing my arm a few times) but my face gets red. So Cesaro if he spun fast enough to emulate inversion might rush blood to face but not hands.

Dizziness is totally a thing though. MA79/105 are probably starting points on how to figure new rules for this if you are using TG (movingothers around) to rapidly alter an enemy's facing.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Wondering if anyone knows any writings on this. Pro wrestling fandom here, commentators elaborate on how the blood rushes to the head when someone lifts someone into an inverted suplex and stalls them up there for several seconds, or Antonio Cesaro's practice of spinning them in circles for several seconds before throwing them. Not sure how prolonged posturr-based grappling holds/position shifts would inflict penalties.
It's unlikely that "blood rushing to head" is a significant issue. But confusing the inner ear is one that can give penalties...unless you make a Body Sense roll.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
Hellboy
Banned

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCirc...moves/cqhghwk/ indicates maybe I got the idea from William Regal.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2181421AA1KzWg indicates he probably said it at least 3 years ago. May take aime digging to find an example on vid.

https://mikejanela.com/2015/05/12/wh...lly-hurt-most/ mentions blood rushing to head for ram-pagenthough I don't get why since they are not inverted.

Probably a physics way to calculate acceleration from speed of spin and co.pare to that of gravity...