Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default How much smarter would you need to make a horse so to pull your wagon undirected?

Normal horses would probably stop doing it without encouragement. Was wondering if you could afflict an IQ boost hownmuch is needed so you can sleep in back while horse pulls cart unattended.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: How much smarter would you need to make a horse so to pull your wagon undirected?

Do you need to? I remember reading a comment from someone back around the transition to the automobile that horses were better than automobiles in one important way: If you were going home late at night, you could doze off and the horse would know the way to the stable.

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:05 PM   #3
(E)

Default Re: How much smarter would you need to make a horse so to pull your wagon undirected?

I'll second that comment horses are generally smart enough to follow routine routes. There are plenty of "get drunk climb onto horse and wake up at home" stories

Pulling a wagon may make it harder though.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

If I carried you piggyback, and we didn't speak the same language, would it be a failure of my intelligence to not know where to take you?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
malloyd

It's not an intelligence, horses are plenty smart enough to pull wagons on their own. The problem here is one of communications. The horse could pull your wagon if it wanted too, but it doesn't usually have a reason to move it anywhere in particular, and you lack any way of telling it where you want it moved to.

Of course it also probably doesn't see much reason it should accommodate you by doing all this work even if you could tell it what you wanted to happen, but again that isn't something more IQ is going to improve.

Last edited by malloyd; 09-30-2017 at 11:45 PM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
Refplace

Rather than Afflcit IQ I would go with Mind Control one command only.
However enough IQ to reach 6 for sapience would let it decide on its own if it wanted to take the wagon somewhere
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:04 AM   #7
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Of course it also probably doesn't see much reason it should accommodate you by doing all this work even if you could tell it what you wanted to happen, but again that isn't something more IQ is going to improve.
It may do the reverse. Mules are often thought to be smarter than horses.

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:45 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

From what I hear, mules have opinions, and may disagree with yours.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:06 AM   #9
Purple Haze

My father told me the get drunk, stumble into the back of the cart, wake up in the barn story. Suggesting he'd done it. I am dubious, his mother owned the hotel (the only place in town that sold/sells alcohol) so if he got drunk he was already home. But, he may well have seen others do this, I have also heard Irishmen claim to have done it recently...

My father was postmaster of three counties. He delivered the mail by Model T Ford in summer, and by horse in winter. Claimed the horse knew the route better than he did and did it almost entirely on auto-pilot.
Purple Haze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
thrash

Horses pulling dairy wagons were also known to follow the route without direction, when (say) a substitute milkman was less familiar with it. This seems to be the realm of rote memorization (routes frequently travelled), plus individual motivation (home barn).

Old warhorses getting excited from hearing nearby battles and running to the sound of the guns are proverbial, as are fire engine horses and bells.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote