Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
Scolop
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Default [RPM] Mind Control

I'm trying to figure out how to do total mind control with Ritual Path Magic. According to Path of Mind's description (p. 12), Greater Control Mind is classic "mind control". So you'd think that, to get someone to be your loyal slave, prepared to jump off a cliff should you ask for it, it should be enough to create a ritual looking at least like this:

Typical Casting: Greater Control Mind (5) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 18 energy (63).

That's way too cheap a ritual to get you in full control of a being. I think it can't be right, even more so because we have a couple of mind control rituals in the grimoire. One such ritual is Truthteller (p. 51): the subject is compelled to tell the truth. Way "simpler" than full mind control, and it requires 54 energy (of course, it has longer duration and a range modifier compared to the example above).

This made me realize that a total mind control ritual would require some advantages/disadvantages. I was thinking of Ally with the Minion modifier or something like that, but I couldn't work it out.

How would you guys do it? I was hoping that I could flesh out this kind of mind control and make it hard to cast, because mind control can easily ruin a plot.

By the way, looking at Truthteller, the spell gives the subject a couple of disadvantages with No Self-Control Roll. Does the disadvantage have, like, 3 times the listed cost? I could reverse-engineer it to find out, but I'd also like to know if there's a book mentioning this, because I can't find it in the Basic Set.
Scolop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
Shostak
 
Shostak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control

Using the Enslave spell from Magic as a starting point, you could build it like this:

Sense Mind [2] + Greater Control Mind [5] + Altered Traits (Disadvantage: Slave Mentality) [8] + Duration: 1 day [7]. Greater effects 1 [x3]. 66 Energy.

It still needs a range modifier if you plan to cast it on someone farther than immediately adjacent.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
Andreas
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control

Wouldn't you also need to add some energy to account for the weigth of the subject?

As I understand it, Slave Mentality would make them inclined to obey anyone. Mind control similiar to the Enslave spell should probably use Reprogrammable instead. Enslave also does not have the side effects of Slave Mentality.

Last edited by Andreas; 09-25-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Andreas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Wouldn't you also need to add some energy to account for the weigth of the subject?

As I understand it, Slave Mentality would make them inclined to obey anyone. Mind control similiar to the Enslave spell should probably use Reprogrammable instead. Enslave also does not have the side effects of Slave Mentality.
Slave Mentality assumes you are "owned" by somebody, and only people your Master have authorized can give you orders. Otherwise, you get stuck in an endless loop of "Kill Bob!" "No, kill John!" No, kill Bob!"
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Scolop
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Using the Enslave spell from Magic as a starting point, you could build it like this:

Sense Mind [2] + Greater Control Mind [5] + Altered Traits (Disadvantage: Slave Mentality) [8] + Duration: 1 day [7]. Greater effects 1 [x3]. 66 Energy.

It still needs a range modifier if you plan to cast it on someone farther than immediately adjacent.
I had thought about using Slave Mentality, but it didn't look like it was enough to cover the effects. Andreas' suggestion of adding Reprogrammable complements it, though. I guess I would throw a 2-point Sense of Duty in too. I don't get why it should have a Lesser Sense Mind effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Wouldn't you also need to add some energy to account for the weigth of the subject?

As I understand it, Slave Mentality would make them inclined to obey anyone. Mind control similiar to the Enslave spell should probably use Reprogrammable instead. Enslave also does not have the side effects of Slave Mentality.
You don't need to account for subject weight when casting Mind rituals. Thanks for the suggestion, by the way!

For now, the ritual would look like this:

Typical Casting: Greater Control Mind (5) + Altered Traits, Reprogrammable, Sense of Duty (Caster) and Slave Mentality (11) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 2 yards (0). 51 energy (173).

Still quite cheap for a simple and expected "game breaker", I'd say.
Scolop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Shostak
 
Shostak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolop View Post
I don't get why it should have a Lesser Sense Mind effect.
The Lesser Sense Mind is to establish telepathic connection for giving commands as per the Enslave spell. You could do without it.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Shostak
 
Shostak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: New England
Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolop View Post
Still quite cheap for a simple and expected "game breaker", I'd say.
Unless I'm mistaken, it is still resisted, so just successfully gathering energy and casting does not make this a sure thing. But, yes, it could be a very powerful ritual. Instead of the telepathic control, you could insist on having Greater Create Mind in there to create a mind shard of the caster to command the victim, instead of the Lesser Sense Mind for telepathic communications. This bumps up the cost with both a higher Spell Effects cost and a higher Greater Effects Multiplier.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
Ghostdancer
Pyramid Potion Master
Ritual Path Magic Adept
 
Ghostdancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolop View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to do total mind control with Ritual Path Magic. According to Path of Mind's description (p. 12), Greater Control Mind is classic "mind control". So you'd think that, to get someone to be your loyal slave, prepared to jump off a cliff should you ask for it, it should be enough to create a ritual looking at least like this:

Typical Casting: Greater Control Mind (5) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 18 energy (63).

That's way too cheap a ritual to get you in full control of a being. I think it can't be right, even more so because we have a couple of mind control rituals in the grimoire. One such ritual is Truthteller (p. 51): the subject is compelled to tell the truth. Way "simpler" than full mind control, and it requires 54 energy (of course, it has longer duration and a range modifier compared to the example above).

This made me realize that a total mind control ritual would require some advantages/disadvantages. I was thinking of Ally with the Minion modifier or something like that, but I couldn't work it out.

How would you guys do it? I was hoping that I could flesh out this kind of mind control and make it hard to cast, because mind control can easily ruin a plot.

By the way, looking at Truthteller, the spell gives the subject a couple of disadvantages with No Self-Control Roll. Does the disadvantage have, like, 3 times the listed cost? I could reverse-engineer it to find out, but I'd also like to know if there's a book mentioning this, because I can't find it in the Basic Set.
I (and others) toyed with some ideas in this thread.

One thing you may be overlooking here is that done this way it requires you to make a Concentrate maneuver to give new commands. This is similiar to how you can use Greater Control Matter to TK a car - but you need to spend an action to move it about. You'd need to add another Greater Control effect to "hand it off."
__________________
Christopher R. Rice
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest Pyramid: Designer's Notes: Incantation Magic
Latest Book: Dungeon Fantasy RPG: Traps

Become a Patron!
Ghostdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
Andreas
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Slave Mentality assumes you are "owned" by somebody, and only people your Master have authorized can give you orders. Otherwise, you get stuck in an endless loop of "Kill Bob!" "No, kill John!" No, kill Bob!"
The description in the Basic Set does not seem to support this interpretation. The part about having to obey others says

"you automatically fail any Will roll to assert yourself or resist social influence except in circumstances where the GM rules that success might be possible, in
which case you roll at -6"

"Any Will roll", not just those caused by a specific person. Getting stuck in a loop in such a situation seems entirely appropriate given that.
Andreas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: [RPM] Mind Control

Slave Mentality is definitely the disadvantage of being so easily influenced everyone can influence you.

Mindless obedience to one person is a Constant Duty (probably Involuntary, possibly Extremely Hazardous).
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Grand Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mind control, rpm

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.