Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
Bicorn

Default Re: Jet Spell cost question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I would go with a style perk. It’s basically allowing Fast-Draw for Jets.
Not a bad idea, though it might be kind of powerful for a perk. What'd you suggest for the perk's name? Someone I asked suggested Blitz Spell.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
We've always interpreted it like this too.
While I still think it's more balanced to let Jets attack on the same turn they're cast (otherwise, their price compared to missile spells is pretty poor), after re-reading the rules, I do think malloyd's interpretation is the correct one. Personally, though, I think I'll houserule it so that Jet spells, as a special case, effectively allow attacking as part of the spellcasting process. That would technically give them two turns of attacks (one on the first turn when the spell is cast, and another next turn) before the maintenance cost comes due, but I think that's actually reasonable given their limited range.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The issue you would have with this is you'll need to specify which is now a Free Action: Concentrate or Attack? Can you take other manuevers on that turn besides Attack?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
The issue you would have with this is you'll need to specify which is now a Free Action: Concentrate or Attack? Can you take other manuevers on that turn besides Attack?
I would simply declare that in the specific case of the Jet spells, the Concentrate maneuver allows an attack as part of it. There isn't a tremendous amount of precedent for this, I'll admit, but I don't think it's unreasonable, either.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I would simply declare that in the specific case of the Jet spells, the Concentrate maneuver allows an attack as part of it. There isn't a tremendous amount of precedent for this, I'll admit, but I don't think it's unreasonable, either.
Can you use attack options with that attack? Feint?

I think that Fast-Draw turning a Ready into a Free Action is a precedent for something similar.

Maybe:
Fast Jet: You can learn Fast-Draw (Jet) which if you succeed at allows you to cast Jet spells as a Free Action. You must specialize this perk for each Jet spell, and your Fast-Draw (Jet) skill works for any Jet spells you have the perk for.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #16
Stone Dog

Once you are done casting a jet spell, then there is a multi yard beam of elemental wrath blasting out of your hand. Unlike a missile spell where you are just holding a throwing weapon, there are now things in the hexes where the jet is that HAVE to deal with it. If that isn't a free attack roll, then it needs to be.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
Once you are done casting a jet spell, then there is a multi yard beam of elemental wrath blasting out of your hand. Unlike a missile spell where you are just holding a throwing weapon, there are now things in the hexes where the jet is that HAVE to deal with it. If that isn't a free attack roll, then it needs to be.
Yeah that is a good point. It probably ought to be a Wild Swing against anybody in that line.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #18
malloyd

Quote:
Yeah that is a good point. It probably ought to be a Wild Swing against anybody in that line.
This has come up before, but I still think it's not particularly true. Consider the analogous situation when you are in the process of readying a pole arm. The blade of it is necessarily somewhere, probably in some nearby hex, but people around you aren't subjected to a "free" attack when you take a Ready maneuver. Yes, it's somewhere, but it's considered trivially avoidable.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #19
Bicorn

You could also argue that the jet doesn't fully form until the turn you get to actually attack with it.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #20
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
This has come up before, but I still think it's not particularly true. Consider the analogous situation when you are in the process of readying a pole arm. The blade of it is necessarily somewhere, probably in some nearby hex, but people around you aren't subjected to a "free" attack when you take a Ready maneuver. Yes, it's somewhere, but it's considered trivially avoidable.
It depends on what Jets actually are, if they are like the stream of burning fuel from a flamethrower, it doesn't seem as trivial to avoid.

Tags
gurps, innate attack, jet, magic