Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 04:38 AM   #1
BeniJmnz
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default Losing Hireling or Class/Race during combat

Quote:
Q. If somebody changes your Race or Class during combat (such as with a Curse), does that change your combat bonuses?
A. Yes. If you quit being an Elf, you can no longer get a bonus from Elf-only items, and so on. You can never get the benefit of two Races or two Classes in one combat unless you have a special card that allows it. Powers driven by discards are an exception, however. If a Warrior had already discarded a card to get a +1 combat bonus, and then stopped being a Warrior, he would keep the bonus, but wouldn't be able to discard any more cards for the Warrior bonus. Yes, this rule can be used to the player's advantage. Hee hee. (However, you cannot discard a Class/Race/etc. and play another copy of that card to use its abilities twice.)
- Can i use a potion that can be used only by Elfs, and then change my race?
- If someone kills my hireling and i'm in combat, is item in combat yet?
For example, if i have an item that only can be used by Warrior, there are some possibilities
1) I'm not a warrior. When hireling is killed, i play warrior. Can i use this item in current combat?
2) i'm a warrior. Hireling is killed. Can i use this item in current combat?
3) Hireling carries a big item, but i have another one in play. Hireling dies. Can i play a dwarf card to avoid loose one of them?
3b) if i have to discard a big item, do i have to give it to anyone or can i discard it?

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 09-07-2017 at 08:38 AM.
BeniJmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Losing Hireling or Class/Race during combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
- Can i use a potion that can be used only by Elfs, and then change my race?
Ooh, that's a nice question. I'm going to say that because it's a one-time bonus and it was legal when you played it, you still get to use it. But I'm open to discussion on this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
- If someone kills my hireling and i'm in combat, is item in combat yet?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
For example, if i have an item that only can be used by Warrior, there are some possibilities
1) I'm not a warrior. When hireling is killed, i play warrior. Can i use this item in current combat?
2) i'm a warrior. Hireling is killed. Can i use this item in current combat?
Both of these would be legal, as long as the Item was otherwise something you could use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
3) Hireling carries a big item, but i have another one in play. Hireling dies. Can i play a dwarf card to avoid loose one of them?
Yes, this would also be fine. The rules around Big items allow you to play cards to make an excess Big item legal again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
3b) if i have to discard a big item, do i have to give it to anyone or can i discard it?
You don't have to discard it at all in situation 3, but in general, if you have extra Big items that you can't make legal, follow the game rules for distributing them.
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: Losing Hireling or Class/Race during combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
- Can i use a potion that can be used only by Elfs, and then change my race?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Ooh, that's a nice question. I'm going to say that because it's a one-time bonus and it was legal when you played it, you still get to use it. But I'm open to discussion on this point.
Without context, that might make sense, but what card are we talking about? Yuppie Water gives a bonus to Elves, but it is not usable only by an Elf, so if you are an Elf when you play (or someone else plays) Yuppie Water then stop being an Elf, there should no longer be a bonus from that card.
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Losing Hireling or Class/Race during combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Without context, that might make sense, but what card are we talking about? Yuppie Water gives a bonus to Elves, but it is not usable only by an Elf, so if you are an Elf when you play (or someone else plays) Yuppie Water then stop being an Elf, there should no longer be a bonus from that card.
Totally fair point. You're absolutely correct.
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
BeniJmnz
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default Re: Losing Hireling or Class/Race during combat

I was reading FAQ's, and i have found this:
Quote:
Q. The Hireling confuses me. Other than the +1 Bonus, what is the point of the card?
A. It's basically another Cheat! card that lets you swap out the attached Item. But it's vulnerable to the Kill the Hireling Go Up a Level card, and anything that makes you lose the Hireling takes the attached Item with it.
I'm confused with your first answer and this FAQ :/
BeniJmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Losing Hireling or Class/Race during combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
I'm confused with your first answer and this FAQ :/
Sorry, I always forget the original Hireling doesn't work the way the other Hirelings do (in Munchkin 4 and 5 and so on). The FAQ you quoted is correct.
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 AM   #7
BeniJmnz
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default Re: Losing Hireling or Class/Race during combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Sorry, I always forget the original Hireling doesn't work the way the other Hirelings do (in Munchkin 4 and 5 and so on). The FAQ you quoted is correct.
is description different in that hirelings? is it specified that item is not losed if you lose that hireling in description?

Quote:
Without context, that might make sense, but what card are we talking about? Yuppie Water gives a bonus to Elves, but it is not usable only by an Elf, so if you are an Elf when you play (or someone else plays) Yuppie Water then stop being an Elf, there should no longer be a bonus from that card.
We could think in class efects. Their actions are similar to this issue with specific potions.
For example, i have read that Berserk bonus is not losed after you discard Warrior class.
I think it would be similar to effects given for specific potions (Yuppie Water), don't you think?

Last edited by BeniJmnz; 09-08-2017 at 01:44 AM.
BeniJmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Losing Hireling or Class/Race during combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
is description different in that hirelings? is it specified that item is not losed if you lose that hireling in description?
You will need to read the rules for those expansions; I'm not going to summarize them here. This thread is starting to go way afield for a 101 post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniJmnz View Post
We could think in class efects. Their actions are similar to this issue with specific potions.
For example, i have read that Berserk bonus is not losed after you discard Warrior class.
I think it would be similar to effects given for specific potions (Yuppie Water), don't you think?
Yuppie Water specifically says it gives a bonus to Elves only. If there are no Elves in the fight, there's no one who can receive that bonus.
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.