Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

In the game I am working on, I want some TL0 guys to have the ability to ignore the drawbacks of stone weapons. I think there are a few ways to go about this, and I am neither sure which is best or if I am missing any:
  • Rules Exemption Perk - Pros: Cheap and simple. Cons: Probably too cheap.
  • Imbuement Skill - Pros: Cheap if they are already invested in Imbuement skills (which they may, I haven't decided). Cons - Lots of parts and extra rolls.
  • Blessed Variant - Pros: Simple. Cons: May be hard to price.

Thoughts?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
malloyd
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Default Re: Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In the game I am working on, I want some TL0 guys to have the ability to ignore the drawbacks of stone weapons. I think there are a few ways to go about this, and I am neither sure which is best or if I am missing any:
  • Rules Exemption Perk - Pros: Cheap and simple. Cons: Probably too cheap.
  • Imbuement Skill - Pros: Cheap if they are already invested in Imbuement skills (which they may, I haven't decided). Cons - Lots of parts and extra rolls.
  • Blessed Variant - Pros: Simple. Cons: May be hard to price.

Thoughts?
I think I'd go with Blessed. As for pricing, well, what are the drawbacks that need avoiding? For breakage risks we've been using a per skill perk (Careful Parry [skill]) to negate those for years, but I think it's still a house rule. For reduced damage I suppose it's a limited version of Striking ST (only for stone blades or whatever). Are there any others? Probably comes in at more than 5 but fewer than 10 points.
__________________
--
MA Lloyd
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

Make them TL 0+1? That means you'd have stone weapons that perform like TL 1 weapons. Depends whether the weapons only have special functions in the hands of these primitives, or work for anyone (or you can make them TL 0+6 and call them the Flintstones).
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Make them TL 0+1? That means you'd have stone weapons that perform like TL 1 weapons. Depends whether the weapons only have special functions in the hands of these primitives, or work for anyone (or you can make them TL 0+6 and call them the Flintstones).
Only for a specific elite class of warriors who have the training to do this.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Only for a specific elite class of warriors who have the training to do this.
If it's the warriors and not the craftsmen that make the weapon, I'd agree with the Blessed camp.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:46 PM   #6
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

In GURPS Chinese Elemental Powers, there are abilities—perks, I think—that allow the quality of a weapon's material to be enhanced. They don't make it equivalent to a different material, but they make it a better version of the base material, IIRC. If you have CEP you might take a look.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
khorboth
 
khorboth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver, CO
Default Re: Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Only for a specific elite class of warriors who have the training to do this.
I think your answer might be hiding in there. What about using style perks from MA? or something equivalent? maybe one per material?
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
In GURPS Chinese Elemental Powers, there are abilities—perks, I think—that allow the quality of a weapon's material to be enhanced. They don't make it equivalent to a different material, but they make it a better version of the base material, IIRC. If you have CEP you might take a look.
That perk is for pure metal weapons only which seems quite a bit more restrictive than all stone and I presume stone+wood weapons.
But I really like the idea of trying to make stone users less disadvantaged against metal users without invoking over the top magic.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #9
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That perk is for pure metal weapons only which seems quite a bit more restrictive than all stone and I presume stone+wood weapons.
You missed the perk for wood weapons. And if the Chinese had used stone weapons I might have come up with one for them.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #10
evileeyore
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: Ability to Ignore Weapon Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
And if the Chinese had used stone weapons I might have come up with one for them.
One presumes that at one they did.

;)





Kinda. Ish. If you want to consider the people living in that region 'Chinese' during the Stone Age...
__________________
Feel free to steal, borrow, fold, spindle, mutilate any rule, advantage, etc I come up with it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.