Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
acroyear

Default Battlefields Kickstarter possible Stretch?

Maybe as an extra/add-on, an overlay that consists of enough ice and water/river hexes in order to fully replicate the Icepick map-bashing from that classic Space Gamer article?
acroyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Battlefields Kickstarter possible Stretch?

In the latest update for the ODE and Miniatures 1 Kickstarters, SJ indeed said that a stretch goal for Battlefields will be a sheet of mostly swamp and water hexes.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
Belle Sorciere

Battlefield kickstarter? Sign me up pls.

I wouldn't expect enough overlays to fully do the Icepick map, though. I mean like half the map is covered with ice?
Belle Sorciere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Sorciere View Post
Battlefield kickstarter? Sign me up pls.

I wouldn't expect enough overlays to fully do the Icepick map, though. I mean like half the map is covered with ice?
Also... How hard is an ice overlay to DIY? I'm no Jasper John, but I can cut white paper on the lines.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
wolf90

You might take a look at this program, OgreMap2 - it is really quite impressive and can make any map you want (including ice!).

https://sites.google.com/site/robots...ogremap2?pli=1

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
ColBosch

There are lots of options for buying cheap hex shapes online, usually as bases for miniatures. Or, as dwalend suggested, just cut out white paper and secure it with masking tape. Once you've got it taped down, you can use a ruler to mark the hex lines back in.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
You might take a look at this program, OgreMap2 - it is really quite impressive and can make any map you want (including ice!).

https://sites.google.com/site/robots...ogremap2?pli=1

D.
I did an icepick map in OgreMap2, printed on letter size paper and mounted on foam core. Roughly 33" x 38", and laminated with Duck Adhesive Laminate from Staples. It took maybe an hour start to finish, but it wasn't my first ODE scale map.

The result:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u9qagxge9...epick.png?dl=0

There's also this on boardgamegeek, which looks really nice, but probably took a bit more effort:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1678506/ice-ice-baby

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium

Last edited by tomc; 07-07-2017 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added dimensions
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 AM   #8
sparky00

tomc,

The Icepick map looks interesting. How did you print it? Did you print directly from Ogremap2? what DPI? Are you Happy with how it came out? If you did it again, would you have it fold?

Think I might like to give this a try.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #9
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
tomc,

The Icepick map looks interesting. How did you print it? Did you print directly from Ogremap2? what DPI? Are you Happy with how it came out? If you did it again, would you have it fold?

Think I might like to give this a try.
I saved the image from OgreMap2 at the DE scale, added the "OGREMAP 2.0" watermark in an image editor (PhotoImpact Pro ver 13), and printed it from that as a "poster" to my inkjet printer. NOTE: I saved the image at 65% saturation, so as not to get soggy paper when I finally printed it.

You can print straight from OgreMap, but sometimes it's not as efficient (i.e. has too much overlap or adds in blank pages.) Also, be sure to view the image in the scale you wish to print (Classic or DE) before you print.

In landscape orientation it came out 4 columns by 5 rows, though the last column only had 1 hex in it. I think it's a 96 DPI image, so it's not super crisp. OgreMap uses this lower resolution so as not to compete with anything officially published.

I used one of the trifold Foam Display Boards from Staples, like you see at science fairs, trimmed each map sheet, and stuck them to the board with glue stick. A strip of duct tape along the back keeps the board from folding. It's easier for me to store if it's flat and rigid. I can put it behind a book case or just against the wall. As a bonus, it can hang off the edge of a table without bending. Handy with DE scale boards.

I've also done DE scale maps for Iron Mountain, Dogpile, and Excercise K. An image editor lets you add starting locations and other notations.

I am pleased with how it turned out, but laminating something that big can be tricky. Inkjet ink isn't waterproof, but laminated it should last forever, for realistically small values of forever.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #10
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc View Post
I saved the image from OgreMap2 at the DE scale
<snip>
I've also done DE scale maps for Iron Mountain, Dogpile, and Excercise K.
Do you think you'd be willing to share those files? I'll need to check with the boss, but we might be able to host those files for others to download.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote