Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-01-2017, 10:36 PM   #2821
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Nor, as I raised before this tangent, would it invalidate a minor rule change in DFRPG for the explosive variables of missile spells to just be the normal spell @ -x skill and +y energy cost.
And then players want to buy off those penalties, so it becomes a Technique. But anything more than a -1 to skill and an Average Technique (or -2 skill for VH spells) and it becomes cheaper to have the spell as it's own spell - unless you want to Johnny-One-Spell.

Not that it's a bad idea. If the system had been designed (or redesigned) from the ground up with an approach of using "Core spells plus some tricky variants as Techniques" I think it vastly simplify the system. But shoehorning it into the existing system one or two spells at a time adds complexity for no real gain.

Then, of course, you can always take it one step further by using Ritual Magic where all spells are just techniques off of a core College skill.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 AM   #2822
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post

Not that it's a bad idea. If the system had been designed (or redesigned) from the ground up with an approach of using "Core spells plus some tricky variants as Techniques" I think it vastly simplify the system. But shoehorning it into the existing system one or two spells at a time adds complexity for no real gain.
We already have spells where if you spend extra fatigue they have a greater effect.

Explosive could just be that.

Anyway Im inclined to agree that it wont happen in DFRPG.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #2823
The Cardinal

Quick question: are there any additional *official* clerical/priestly "realms" beyond those described in DF7: Clerics? Maybe in some Pyramid articles or other DF pdfs?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #2824
PK
Assistant GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardinal View Post
Quick question: are there any additional *official* clerical/priestly "realms" beyond those described in DF7: Clerics? Maybe in some Pyramid articles or other DF pdfs?
Yep!

Elder Gods (psionic clerics!) from Pyramid #3/43: Thaumatology III

Gods of Order and of Chaos from Pyramid #3/78: Unleash Your Soul

Gods of Commerce from Pyramid #3/100: Pyramid Secrets

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #2825
JMason

Hey, few quick questions on the included adventure (which I believe is "complete"):

1) Does it assume pre-gen characters? Is there thought on various party compositions/sizes/etc.?

2) Did it have a play-test? I don't recall hearing about one. Even as a short intro, this may be the starting point for a lot of gamers, and I'd like it to be the best product it can be... and in my experience, play-testing is vital to making great content.

3) Are all the enemies' from the monster book? If so are the stat blocks repeated in the adventure?

4) I know there is the follow up adventure, but are there also advice for other follow-up adventures to spin off our of this one?

5) All the same questions for the second adventure :-p
Old 07-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #2826
Bruno

The day SJG doesn't playtest something (other than a Pyramid article) is the day I eat my hat. They may not do it as a public-application playtest, but they do it.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #2827
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Yep!

Elder Gods (psionic clerics!) from Pyramid #3/43: Thaumatology III

Gods of Order and of Chaos from Pyramid #3/78: Unleash Your Soul

Gods of Commerce from Pyramid #3/100: Pyramid Secrets
The first two articles also appear in Pyramid: Dungeon Fantasy Collected, which is an incredibly good deal if all you want is the DF articles.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-12-2017 at 01:27 PM.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #2828
DAT

So one way to advertise a new game is to run sample or demo games at a convention. I run several games at cons a year, and plan to do my part to promote DFRPG by running a few games. Is there anything ready made coming out with DFRPG that can be used as a short 2-4 hour con game?

I know there is an adventure coming with the box, but is it something that can be run in 4 hours, or have a meaningful part that can be run in 4 hours? Or is it only setup as a meaty several session adventure?

With DFRPG scheduled to come out in October 2017 (assuming I didn't miss a change), that will give me plenty of time to create something for cons in January, February, and March. But some of those cons are requiring game description submissions by end of September. I can create something based on the 30+ DF/DF related PDFs I have, but it would be nice to have something specific to the DFRPG.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #2829
Nemoricus

It's been a while since the last update on the DFRPG. How are things going? Still on course for October?
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:31 PM   #2830
philreed
Chief Executive Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
It's been a while since the last update on the DFRPG. How are things going? Still on course for October?
No change. The games are being finalized at the factory and should go on the container late this month.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy