Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2017, 01:46 AM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default Enhanced Dodge 1 -80% [3]

What would be interesting combinations of limitations to reach this total for a realistic human?

I was thinking maybe stuff like requiring a ready maneuver, temporary disadvantages during and/or after use, unsupported, unreliable, requiring.an attribute roll...
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Enhanced Dodge 1 -80% [3]

None. Severely limited abstract bonuses aren't realistic. Anything that limited and possible is usually something anybody can attempt, so it isn't worth any points (and is probably already a kind of retreat, acrobatic dodge, or all-out defense).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
None. Severely limited abstract bonuses aren't realistic. Anything that limited and possible is usually something anybody can attempt, so it isn't worth any points (and is probably already a kind of retreat, acrobatic dodge, or all-out defense).
Nah, I bet Accessiblity (only one person) -80% would be completely realistic. Getting especially good against a particular regular practice opponent is something that happens all the time in one on one sports, so I'd be fine with you buying Enhanced Dodge with it for a regular sparing partner.

But I will say that I tend to be suspicious of *anything* that has more than two limitations on it. You can't count count on the rules as written values of enhancements or limitations to be fair for everything even if you are only applying one of them (there's always some advantage for which something is especially crippling or irrelevant), but once you start combining a lot of them the odds you aren't going to need to tweak something go down a lot.

Last edited by malloyd; 04-05-2017 at 09:13 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
Varyon

One Foe Only (only available while using the One Foe option from Technical Grappling) might be worth -20%. All Out Defense Only (only available while taking an appropriate All Out Defense) might similarly be worth -20%. Only Against <Style> (only works against a foe fighting using the defined fighting style, for which you must have Style Familiarity) may be worth -30%, although an uncommon style (1-6% of combatants use it) would be worth a full -40%.

So, if you've specifically trained to defend against attacks of a particular, uncommon fighting style, and you use All Out Defense (Increased Dodge) while ignoring everything outside of your chosen foe, you get a further +1 to Dodge. That doesn't seem outright unrealistic to me (particularly as it's only boosting the +3 - +4 if the foe used a Deceptive Attack or similar - of the above options combined into a +4 - +5 for Deceptive Attack). malloyd's mention of One Person Only is probably realistic as well, although useless.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I wonder if you could swap one of those for "melee attacks only" -20% or "ranged attacks only" -20%.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
Culture20

Useless until it turns out the twin you've practiced against your whole life is really the evil one. Of course they've practiced fighting you too...
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:13 AM   #7
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Useless until it turns out the twin you've practiced against your whole life is really the evil one. Of course they've practiced fighting you too...
Well nobody said the limited version needed to be *useful*. Maybe you are more into simulation than munchkinizing your character.

Frankly though, if you have a -80% limitation and it still seems useful, it probably isn't really earning the -80%. GURPS is rather stingy with its limitations after all, and -80% is on par with One Use. If it's helpful more than once per campaign, you probably didn't pay enough for it by GURPS standards.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I wonder if you could swap one of those for "melee attacks only" -20% or "ranged attacks only" -20%.
What I wrote above was meant for Melee Only anyway, that's sort of included in the Only Against <Style> Limitation. Choosing shurikenjutsu or kyujutsu as the Style would technically be allowed, making it Ranged Only, but I'm not sure that's all that realistic. Enhanced Dodge (Melee Only -20%, One Foe Only -20%, All Out Defense Only -20%) is probably also realistic, so if you can add another -20% Limitation that is realistic you'd get to -80%.

For realistic Ranged Only Enhanced Dodge, I'd be tempted to allow a single level of Enhanced Dodge (Ranged Only -20%, Only While Moving Half Move or More -20%) in a realistic campaign, to represent particularly evasive movement (maybe add another -5% or -10% to disallow attacking while using it). One Foe -20% and All Out Defense Only -20% could be tacked on to drop it to -80%.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Nah, I bet Accessiblity (only one person) -80% would be completely realistic. Getting especially good against a particular regular practice opponent is something that happens all the time in one on one sports, so I'd be fine with you buying Enhanced Dodge with it for a regular sparing partner.
I wouldn't pay more than a Perk for +1 dodge against one specific opponent.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

For some reason, all I can see is a training montage of the hero as he studies everything he can find about the villain for the upcoming save the rec center fight. Survivor plays loudly in the background.