Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
onetrikpony

Default DR with weak points: how to model CP Cost

I want to make a Monster with High DR (DR 50) on the main body and head but weak DR (DR30) on the limbs. How do I pay for that with CP?

None of the limitations seem to provide an option for areas that are weaker but still have some protection. Both the directional and partial limitations seem to end up costing more than just having full DR in all locations. It's even more difficult to figure the cost of a weak point at the eyes or a "Smaug scale".
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: DR with weak points: how to model CP Cost

I personally find the DR limitation % values strange..

But it should be noted that monsters do not pay character points, so just assigning the DRs is enough. If you need the character point value for it as an ally or such: First buy 30 DR at full cost and then 20 more DR at the -10% as per B47(the least severe value for several).

And on the eyes: basic DR does not protect eyes.

Smaug scale type: I guess that by RAW directly it would be at -10% as it does not protect full body and the lowest value protected is -10% for torso.. But as said in many cases the RAW is strange and the same -10% would apply for only torso armor.

Last edited by weby; 03-05-2017 at 04:45 PM.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
onetrikpony

thanks weby;
That makes more sense than what I was doing. At least it doesn't end up costing more.

(I like pricing out my monsters when I have time, just to see how much CP they would cost or to make templates.)
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrikpony View Post
I want to make a Monster with High DR (DR 50) on the main body and head but weak DR (DR30) on the limbs. How do I pay for that with CP?

None of the limitations seem to provide an option for areas that are weaker but still have some protection. Both the directional and partial limitations seem to end up costing more than just having full DR in all locations. It's even more difficult to figure the cost of a weak point at the eyes or a "Smaug scale".
The rules for partial DR are broken. You could instead buy the additional 20 DR for the torso by comparing the coverage it provides to the recommended pricing for the Accessibility limitation.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I have a house rule to cover this case. Its contradicts raw, but I find it gives good results, especially for this case.

If you don't armor the entire creature, you get a discount of -50% +5*<penalty to hit easiest target>%

If the easiest to hit is the limbs, it -40% (-50+5*2 = -40)
Hands and feet: -30% (-50+5*4 = -30)
-8 armor chink: -10% (-50+5*8 = -10)

It has a few problems, but it solves the problem given.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Varyon

Personally, I'm inclined to ignore the RAW rules for partial DR, and just use the % values from Low Tech. Front/back only should still have different values, however - I'd be tempted to do something like x0.6 for Front Only, x0.4 for Back Only (honestly, an 80/20 split might also be appropriate).

The closest you could get by RAW would be to work out what each reduction would be using Accessibility (-20% is 50%, for example), add the percentages together, and see what that's worth as an Accessibility. If the sum is high enough to not get a discount, it's a Quirk.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr limitations, hit location