Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Aleph
Administrator

Default New Scenario: Longview

New Scenario: Longview

You can find this new Ogre scenario at the link above. Please play it and comment - on game balance, clarity of instructions, or whatever else you think of - here in this thread.
Aleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
cedric18

Default Re: New Scenario: Longview

How is the laser tower destroyed? Treat it as a CP from Ogre or does it have structure points?
cedric18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Tim Kauffman

Very cool Scenario. A nice variant for the original OGRE Scenarios.
Really like the idea of terrain being prepped for better Laser Fire.

"3.3 Laser Line of Sight. Because the ground has been prepared, and obstructing trees and even buildings removed, Longview can hit any road hex, even one that goes through trees or towns, if there is a straight row of hexes between the target hex and Longview."

There is only a straight row of hexes from the six hex sides of the Laser Tower. Does this mean only those straight rows having roads in them can have those roads attacked? Do the roads have to also line up with the straight row of hexes to be eligible to be attacked?

Also, does Longview differ from a normal Laser Tower in any way other than having AI that is better than a human crew but not as good as OGRE AI? Other than the cool new background mentioned in the Designers Notes, it seems to be a normal Laser Tower operating on a map that has had field of fire obstructing terrain minimized as much as possible.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric18 View Post
How is the laser tower destroyed? Treat it as a CP from Ogre or does it have structure points?
Excellent question. It has 20 SP. This will be corrected in the final version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Does this mean only those straight rows having roads in them can have those roads attacked? Do the roads have to also line up with the straight row of hexes to be eligible to be attacked?
As you mentioned, there are six straight rows of hexes emanating out from the laser tower hex. Any hex with a road in one of those rows may be targeted by the laser, regardless of what terrain that road resides in. Units on roads traversing terrain in a hex not in one of those rows may not be attacked by the laser tower.

Quote:
it seems to be a normal Laser Tower operating on a map that has had field of fire obstructing terrain minimized as much as possible.
This is correct.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
ColBosch

It might bear repeating the rules about which hexes, besides the specially-prepared road hexes, Longview can target. Despite the plethora of models in the Designer's Edition, laser towers (and turrets) are rarely used in games.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #6
Tim Kauffman

"Longview has a good AI – not Ogre-smart, but more than human-smart. It controls its own fire in emergencies, but it is under the authority of its commanding officer. The commanding officer is experienced and always listens to Longview's advice unless he has to make an instant command decision."

This is interesting, and well enough, it is in-between not being any different from a normal Laser Tower and one that has some sort of advantage due to better tech.

For example, Lasers can't be disabled, thus, if they could, the new ability of Longview controlling it's own fire in emergencies could maybe work as a new rule somehow...or something...just speculating.

It's kind of odd to have only the six straight hex rows from Longviews hex be the only ones that can target roads in those rows. What about the spaces or "rows" in-between them? This forces such rows to only be in certain lines dependent on the hex map and not the actual terrain on the map, which works, it just has me thinking maybe there is a way with more flexibility. Can't it just be assumed that any road hexes are targetable due to the terrain modifying for a better field of fire? You could maybe have such modified terrain cost points...a certain cost per hex able to fire into while ignoring the terrain penalty?
Old 02-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
This is interesting, and well enough, it is in-between not being any different from a normal Laser Tower and one that has some sort of advantage due to better tech.
Nowhere does this fluff text say or imply that Longview is itself different from other PE laser defense systems. The only difference, for certain, here is the prepared fire corridors.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:43 PM   #8
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Nowhere does this fluff text say or imply that Longview is itself different from other PE laser defense systems. The only difference, for certain, here is the prepared fire corridors.
I had to try though...lol

When I see a Laser Tower designated with a name as an OGRE would be, in this case "Longview", I see OGRE AI operated Laser Towers. Longview Imho is a predecessor.
"Longview has a good AI – not Ogre-smart, but more than human-smart."

I'm fine with Longview being a normal Laser Tower. It's very cool fluff and a solid foundation for more advanced later Last War Lasers if they are ever made official or not. The prepped fire corridors are very good additions.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
When I see a Laser Tower designated with a name as an OGRE would be, in this case "Longview", I see OGRE AI operated Laser Towers. Longview Imho is a predecessor.
"Longview has a good AI – not Ogre-smart, but more than human-smart.
How do you know that other PE laser installations don't have codenames and AI controls? Maybe this is normal; both of these things make sense.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:03 AM   #10
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
How do you know that other PE laser installations don't have codenames and AI controls? Maybe this is normal; both of these things make sense.
I concur, it does seem to be normal for all PE Lasers. It also does make sense, like Steve said, they are AI smart, but not OGRE AI smart, thus the codenames.
I just hope to see the day we officially see OGRE AI operated Lasers that can fire every turn if they fired at OGRE Missiles or not was all. Even if that rule is not used, but something else that makes them superior to non-OGRE AI operated ones would be fine by me. Drews working on the NIGHT FALL Scenario and it has these OGRE AI weapon systems in it and I find it very cool and interesting.