Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-04-2006, 01:55 AM   #1
pst

Default Armor Table in Lite 4e

Lite 4e has a short Armor Table (p.18) with full suits that as far as I have found is only published there. It seems like at least some of them are just shorthand for a set of armor from the normal armor tables in Characters -- maybe all?

Evidently "Cloth Armor" there is Cloth Armor + Cloth Sleeves + Leather Leggings + Cloth Cap + Cloth Gloves + Shoes. That gives the same cost, weight and DR. Similarly "Leather Armor" is Leather Armor + Heavy Leather Leggings + Heavy Leather Sleeves + Leather Helm + Leather Gloves + Boots.

But what about the later options? Are they all possible to divide in parts like this?
pst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
DanHoward

Default Re: Armor Table in Lite 4e

Just make up anything you want. Whatever you come up with will be just as realistic as the armour in 4e.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward
Just make up anything you want. Whatever you come up with will be just as realistic as the armour in 4e.
I don't know. I can come up with some pretty silly combos. A one ounce breastplate of pure ********tium, and fifteen pound boots of cement.
Don't make me put my foot up in yo' a*s. You'll enter orbit... if I can lift my foot of the ground, that is.

Nah. You're right, it still doesn't quite match up to the oddity of 100 pound suits of plate. :)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
pst

But if I don't really want to make up anything? If characters have bought armor
wholesale from the Lite table I thought they would be able to exchange parts later on from the full table.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
DanHoward

The suit weights in Lite don't correspond to the sum of the parts in Basic. They aren't interchangeable. Use either Basic Set or Lite but not both together.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:44 AM   #6
pst

Well, the very specific (non-rounded) costs and weights really seems to be sums of actual values, and I don't see why the person who made that table wouldn't have made it like that. Now I have done the math, and here is the answer to my question, I think:

Light Scale is
light scale armor, mail sleeves, mail leggings, pot-helm, gauntlets, boots.

Mail is
mail hauberk, mail sleeves, mail leggings, mail coif, gauntlets, boots

Steel Laminate is
steel laminate plate, mail sleeves, mail leggings, pot-helm, gauntlets, boots

Plate is
steel corselet, plate arms, plate legs, barrel helm, heavy gauntlets, sollerets

Costs and weights add up, and torso DR (and often other DR as well) is the same.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #7
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pst
Well, the very specific (non-rounded) costs and weights really seems to be sums of actual values, and I don't see why the person who made that table wouldn't have made it like that. Now I have done the math, and here is the answer to my question, I think:

Light Scale is
light scale armor, mail sleeves, mail leggings, pot-helm, gauntlets, boots.
Light scale should be light scale - i.e. light scale corselet, sleeves and leggings. Half of it shouldn't be mail. Same with Laminate (which should be "lamellar"). How can you mix different armour types when the DRs are different? Which figure do you use? The one for scale/laminate or the one for mail?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Cowboy

Quote:
Light scale should be light scale - i.e. light scale corselet, sleeves and leggings. Half of it shouldn't be mail. Same with Laminate (which should be "lamellar"). How can you mix different armour types when the DRs are different? Which figure do you use? The one for scale/laminate or the one for mail?
The rounded average if you're not using hit locations would be my suggestion.

If you are using hit locations, use the one for the location hit.
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Come on Dan, stop picking on the guy, of course the armor weights are unrealistic, but there's nothing wrong with multiple armor types in different hit locations.

If you wanted less semi-realism average the DR by volume, if you want more semi-realism use a modified Unreliable roll to determine which type of armor you hit.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
DanHoward

My point is if you add up, say, scale components from Basic and compare them to the scale set in Lite. They don't add up. I don't have a problem with this. Just recognise that the two are not compatible and keep them separate. If you want to mix and match then you have to use the individual components from Basic, not the complete set in Lite. Basic set also has the problem of missing some components, such as light scale sleeves and leggings.