Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 04-11-2017, 11:55 AM   #921
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I think Phil's point is that Munchkin isn't a CCG in the usual sense. It's a card game with a bunch of expansions, but it's not collectible the way Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh are collectible.
Ahh, I see. That's kind of weird though because I've found it to be a bit of the opposite when I see people playing at FLGS - they want all the cards. All the sets. Every promo. All the bookmarks. I started out bribing people with such things to play a few hours of DF and ended up getting new GURPS players because they liked the system.

I see now the point that was trying to come across. Thank you, Andrew.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #922
pinbot

Finishing the Ogre kickstarter sounds good! Just for the record, the Car Wars kickstarter was a stretch goal on that, so...

And, could the long lost Nightfall campaign benefit from this focus on wrapping up ODE commitments? I quite recognize the leap involved there. But what can I say? I have those pieces and I loved the sound of that campaign.
pinbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #923
davester64

I see it was not one of the priorities for 2017, so, the new edition of Car Wars is NOT going to be Kickstarted this year?

I guess I am not surprised. Admittedly, part of me is OK with that, as my finances are a disaster at the moment. But still...I am frustrated.
davester64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #924
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Ahh, I see. That's kind of weird though because I've found it to be a bit of the opposite when I see people playing at FLGS - they want all the cards. All the sets. Every promo. All the bookmarks.
Yes and Cthulhu bless 'em, but that's still not really what people mean by "collectible" in "collectible card game." For one thing, Munchkin uses common decks, so deck-building isn't part of the game in way it is for CCG/TCG/LCGs. (Obviously, I'm ignoring the Munchkin CCG for this discussion.) A CCG collector wants cards for her own use, not to add to the common pool where other people can use them against her.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #925
YorkBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester64 View Post
I see it was not one of the priorities for 2017, so, the new edition of Car Wars is NOT going to be Kickstarted this year?

I guess I am not surprised. Admittedly, part of me is OK with that, as my finances are a disaster at the moment. But still...I am frustrated.
Agreed. I understand, based on the stated financial pressures, why Car Wars is being pushed to "not a priority," but it does still rankle a bit. Time to retire my "I made SJ work on Car Wars" shirt until it's true again...
YorkBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #926
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I think Phil's point is that Munchkin isn't a CCG in the usual sense. It's a card game with a bunch of expansions, but it's not collectible the way Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh are collectible.
I understood that "CCG" has become a rather specific term of art these days. And a Munchkin CCG has been announced but not yet released, so I assumed that other people used the term the same way.

But, okay, some people collect Munchkin. So it's collectible and a card game, even if it isn't yet a Collectible Card Game.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #927
Magesmiley

Thank you as always, for sharing the information. The report is much appreciated. However, I'm another of those who is particularly interested in the state of Car Wars. And a couple of questions came to mind after reading:

The report mentioned that "the cause of our failure here is an insistence on making the game exactly the way we want it." Is there any possibility of elaborating on that? What is it about the current iteration that isn't working?

The report also indicated to keep reading for the status of Car Wars. However, not much else is said (other than the above comment regarding the 2016 goal). And as Car Wars isn't listed as a priority for 2017, does that mean that it falls into the non-priority category and isn't being worked on currently?

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #928
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
The report mentioned that "the cause of our failure here is an insistence on making the game exactly the way we want it." Is there any possibility of elaborating on that?
Not at this time. We'll return to the project once larger priorities are under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
The report also indicated to keep reading for the status of Car Wars. However, not much else is said (other than the above comment regarding the 2016 goal). And as Car Wars isn't listed as a priority for 2017, does that mean that it falls into the non-priority category and isn't being worked on currently?
Car Wars comes after the stated priorities. At the moment, our team is at work on the projects listed under 2017 priorities.

EDIT: We thought this was clear, between the report on how we did with the 2016 priorities and the lack of Car Wars under the 2017 priorities. I am sorry if there was any confusion there.

Last edited by philreed; 04-11-2017 at 04:27 PM.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #929
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbot View Post
And, could the long lost Nightfall campaign benefit from this focus on wrapping up ODE commitments? I quite recognize the leap involved there. But what can I say? I have those pieces and I loved the sound of that campaign.
I can promise you, that is moving along. My personal 2017 stretch goal is to tie up the Ogre KS goals that are within my purview: publishing Steve's scenarios as OSB3; Ogre Miniatures, 2nd edition; the Battlefields expansion and Nightfall. I may not accomplish all of these tasks, but it won't be for a lack of trying! All of these are moving along.

We made great strides in 2016 on the Ogre front (posted rules for all of the new units, posted Steve's scenarios, published OSB2, released Ogre Sixth Edition), and have started 2017 strong: Ogre Organized Play event, published pdfs of the classic Shockwave, Ogre Reinforcement Pack & Battlefields, revamped and updated "Operation: Newspaper" (with help from Will Hutton!) and OSB1, and obviously released Ogre Reinforcements (not to mention Ogre Stream Overlays!)

So although I can't give you a date, I can say things are definitely progressing along well!

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #930
sir-talen

Not much to say myself, except that it's awfully depressing from the perspective of someone who was a fan of GURPS back to the release of Man-to-Man that no GURPS product even broke the top 40 of bestselling products. Perhaps PoD would be the way to go for the future, printing hardbacks just doesn't seem worth it anymore.