Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #11
Toptomcat
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default Re: High tech guns, and an ultratech gun theoretical question

Or just plain make 'em give a flat skill bonus to Guns.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
mlangsdorf
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: High tech guns, and an ultratech gun theoretical question

If you don't like Homing or Guided, you could borrow a concept from the Guided Imbuement: repeated attacks. If you miss the target by 4 or less or if you hit but the target dodges, you can take a Concentrate maneuver on your next turn to guide the bullet back to the target, making another attack roll and giving the target another opportunity to dodge. That sounds like it might model what you're going for in some ways, and even if it doesn't, it's an interesting effect for an ultra-tech bullet.
__________________
Read my GURPS blog: http://noschoolgrognard.blogspot.com
mlangsdorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: High tech guns, and an ultratech gun theoretical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
If you don't like Homing or Guided, you could borrow a concept from the Guided Imbuement: repeated attacks. If you miss the target by 4 or less or if you hit but the target dodges, you can take a Concentrate maneuver on your next turn to guide the bullet back to the target, making another attack roll and giving the target another opportunity to dodge. That sounds like it might model what you're going for in some ways, and even if it doesn't, it's an interesting effect for an ultra-tech bullet.
Also presented as an add-on for Guided or Homing enhancements, on Powers p103.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #14
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Re: High tech guns, and an ultratech gun theoretical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
What is it that you want, exactly? Especially in equipment there's no reason you can't model this thing in GURPS if you can decide what it actually is.
What I wanted was a way to make semi tracking ammunition or gun/ammunition combo that could help to hit what was being aimed at. None of us really knew how to play gurps very much when everyone built their characters and I didn't quite know enough about the game to make sure their characters were up to snuff so to speak. So. Thanks to that they all bought their guns skills to around 12 to 14. And they have figured out that range penalties suck. And target penalties suck. It took me 20 minutes to explain that shooting something in the head from 2 feet away is much harder to do if shooting the same spot 30 yards away.

And I was looking for a bit of pocket mirical they can whip out and use if their lives depended on it. At the cost of their collective bank accounts. Or something like that. But to be honest I don't know what kind of effect I was looking for.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #15
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Re: High tech guns, and an ultratech gun theoretical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
If you don't like Homing or Guided, you could borrow a concept from the Guided Imbuement: repeated attacks. If you miss the target by 4 or less or if you hit but the target dodges, you can take a Concentrate maneuver on your next turn to guide the bullet back to the target, making another attack roll and giving the target another opportunity to dodge. That sounds like it might model what you're going for in some ways, and even if it doesn't, it's an interesting effect for an ultra-tech bullet.
I like this idea. I'd probably poke it around a bit. Because I don't want the bullets them selves doing a 180.

But something like On a miss by 3 or 4 or so, or a successful dodge, if the shooter is still shooting at the same target from their last turn and fires again, the next volley themselves get a bonus to hit... It would be easier to get a flat +x. But it would make sense that the more rounds were fired the bigger the bonus... So maybe for every 2 bullets missed last turn the new volley get a +1 to hit. That could be kept up with fairly easy by the PCs on like d8s or d12s or so....

I like this idea... I may take it and run with it.

Only issue would be how to price them.......
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:03 PM   #16
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: High tech guns, and an ultratech gun theoretical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
What I wanted was a way to make semi tracking ammunition or gun/ammunition combo that could help to hit what was being aimed at. None of us really knew how to play gurps very much when everyone built their characters and I didn't quite know enough about the game to make sure their characters were up to snuff so to speak. So. Thanks to that they all bought their guns skills to around 12 to 14. And they have figured out that range penalties suck. And target penalties suck. It took me 20 minutes to explain that shooting something in the head from 2 feet away is much harder to do if shooting the same spot 30 yards away.

And I was looking for a bit of pocket mirical they can whip out and use if their lives depended on it. At the cost of their collective bank accounts. Or something like that. But to be honest I don't know what kind of effect I was looking for.
Well, there are any number of different things you could do about that, but Guided might actually be just the thing if range penalties are getting you down. You still use the shooter's skill to make the attack, but range doesn't apply a penalty...

Ammo that increases Acc is also established (match-grade ammo), though the bonus is small for the real stuff. Making UT super-ammo that increases Acc by more wouldn't be too out there. Ammo that flat-out increases skill, as Toptomcat suggests, might be a little silly but certainly isn't a problem to do.

Pricing is really up to you. Nobody can possibly tell you how much you want to sting their pocketbooks for the bonus.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #17
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Re: High tech guns, and an ultratech gun theoretical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Well, there are any number of different things you could do about that, but Guided might actually be just the thing if range penalties are getting you down. You still use the shooter's skill to make the attack, but range doesn't apply a penalty...

Ammo that increases Acc is also established (match-grade ammo), though the bonus is small for the real stuff. Making UT super-ammo that increases Acc by more wouldn't be too out there. Ammo that flat-out increases skill, as Toptomcat suggests, might be a little silly but certainly isn't a problem to do.

Pricing is really up to you. Nobody can possibly tell you how much you want to sting their pocketbooks for the bonus.
I believe the guy above you has solved my problem. It seems to be an elegant solution. That I could use that takes a bit of work on the pcs part to keep them from just getting some easy source of money and buying their skill instead of just getting better via points and improvement.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ammunition, high tech, theory, ultra tech

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.