Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
AberranTux
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Default US city-states

http://fakeisthenewreal.org/statesmetros/

"The fifty largest metro areas (in blue), disaggregated from their states (in orange). Each has been scaled and sorted according to population. The metro areas are US-Census defined CBSAs and MSAs."

It includes the seven MSAs specified on p.61 of Fifth Wave as having become independent of the surrounding states. For those of you who don't have FW handy, those are Atlanta, Chicago, Greater San Francisco (including San Jose, which Freeman shows separately), Miami, New York City, San Diego and Seattle.

Now all we need to produce a complete map of the 2100 US is an official definition of the borders of Cibola.
AberranTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: US city-states

Its a nice concept, but the implementation (the linked map) appears to be sloppy. He takes the entire county if any part of it is in the metropolitan area. The salt lake city area according to him crosses the state east to west, including miles of mountainous national forest and empty salt flats. For those of you who don't know, the area runs north-south, not east-west. The actual area is that little blob in the middle.
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Default Re: US city-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by AberranTux View Post
http://fakeisthenewreal.org/statesmetros/

"The fifty largest metro areas (in blue), disaggregated from their states (in orange). Each has been scaled and sorted according to population. The metro areas are US-Census defined CBSAs and MSAs."

It includes the seven MSAs specified on p.61 of Fifth Wave as having become independent of the surrounding states. For those of you who don't have FW handy, those are Atlanta, Chicago, Greater San Francisco (including San Jose, which Freeman shows separately), Miami, New York City, San Diego and Seattle.

Now all we need to produce a complete map of the 2100 US is an official definition of the borders of Cibola.
This would make an interesting model for a one hundred state USA. As the G.O.P. has little real pull in cities and the Democrats are weak in rural areas, it would be a sharply divided USA. The balance would slightly favor the Democrats.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
AberranTux
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chambersburg, PA
Default Re: US city-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its a nice concept, but the implementation (the linked map) appears to be sloppy. He takes the entire county if any part of it is in the metropolitan area. The salt lake city area according to him crosses the state east to west, including miles of mountainous national forest and empty salt flats.
It's my understanding, admittedly based on Wikipedia, that that's how they calculate metropolitan areas IRL. I'm more concerned with the way it basically cuts New Jersey to ribbons, since Salt Lake City is still part of the Utah of 2100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
This would make an interesting model for a one hundred state USA.
I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Quote:
As the G.O.P. has little real pull in cities and the Democrats are weak in rural areas, it would be a sharply divided USA.
(Insert obvious joke here.)

Last edited by AberranTux; 07-12-2015 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to close a tag.
AberranTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Owen Smith
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: US city-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
This would make an interesting model for a one hundred state USA. As the G.O.P. has little real pull in cities and the Democrats are weak in rural areas, it would be a sharply divided USA. The balance would slightly favor the Democrats.
Most non US readers may have no idea with the G.O.P. is, I had to google it. The Republicans is a much better known term.
Owen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
Keiko
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Re: US city-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by AberranTux View Post
http://fakeisthenewreal.org/statesmetros/

"The fifty largest metro areas (in blue), disaggregated from their states (in orange). Each has been scaled and sorted according to population. The metro areas are US-Census defined CBSAs and MSAs."

It includes the seven MSAs specified on p.61 of Fifth Wave as having become independent of the surrounding states. For those of you who don't have FW handy, those are Atlanta, Chicago, Greater San Francisco (including San Jose, which Freeman shows separately), Miami, New York City, San Diego and Seattle.

Now all we need to produce a complete map of the 2100 US is an official definition of the borders of Cibola.

Very interesting ideas. I had similar thoughts.
__________________
"I'm a robot, a soulless machine. I can't experience emotions. Sometimes that makes me very sad."

- Bender "Futurama"
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
Randyman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Default Re: US city-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
This would make an interesting model for a one hundred state USA. As the G.O.P. has little real pull in cities and the Democrats are weak in rural areas, it would be a sharply divided USA. The balance would slightly favor the Democrats.
"Slightly" may be an understatement. The Senate might be closer to evenly divided (if each city-state got two Senators, doubling the size of the Senate), but the House of Representatives would be heavily skewed toward city-state representation.
__________________
"Despite (GURPS) reputation for realism and popularity with simulationists, the numbers are and always have been assessed in the service of drama." - Kromm
Randyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Default Re: US city-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
Most non US readers may have no idea with the G.O.P. is, I had to google it. The Republicans is a much better known term.
Forgive me, G.O.P. is commonplace over here.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Default Re: US city-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by AberranTux View Post

I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
I don't say this would make a better USA, only an interesting one. As in May you live in interesting times.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Default Re: US city-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
"Slightly" may be an understatement. The Senate might be closer to evenly divided (if each city-state got two Senators, doubling the size of the Senate), but the House of Representatives would be heavily skewed toward city-state representation.
Almost all of the City-States would have Democrats in the senate, some rural areas like Vermont or New Mexico, and small well mixed states like Rhode Island, would also be Democratic.
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
city-states, geography, usa

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.