Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #361
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I think the switching to bicolor was to make the books seem lass 'flat', now the B&W books we're getting now are actually in Greyscale so they don't look as bad, but the bicolor books seem to have more character or seem to be more alive.
To me, that's rather like saying that a music album with different ambient background noises on different songs, loud enough to be distracting, sounds more like real life. The coloured borders represent information that's very general, far more so than the text or tables, but is being asserted very strongly and to me, distractingly.

As a parallel, I never took up playing D&D 3e, and a significant reason for that was that the complex coloured background to the pages made reading them genuinely hard work.
Quote:
Or is you problem with the colors that get chosen? Because that can make a real difference, I can still remember how bad the lighting was in those toilets with glossy back tiles in Uni.
Several of the border colours aren't easy to distinguish from each other, as I said. Simplifying the colour key to only 4-5 categories of pages would make it far more usable to me. Yes, my colour vision is very poor.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:47 AM   #362
scc
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
To me, that's rather like saying that a music album with different ambient background noises on different songs, loud enough to be distracting, sounds more like real life. The coloured borders represent information that's very general, far more so than the text or tables, but is being asserted very strongly and to me, distractingly.

As a parallel, I never took up playing D&D 3e, and a significant reason for that was that the complex coloured background to the pages made reading them genuinely hard work.

Several of the border colours aren't easy to distinguish from each other, as I said. Simplifying the colour key to only 4-5 categories of pages would make it far more usable to me. Yes, my colour vision is very poor.
Where did you get the idea that the choice of color conveys ANY information? The color each chapter gets is it's highlight color, text being in color means something, but the color itself doesn't.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:52 AM   #363
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Where did you get the idea that the choice of color conveys ANY information? The color each chapter gets is it's highlight color, text being in color means something, but the color itself doesn't.
Oh, right. This does not make it seem like a better idea.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:01 AM   #364
scc
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Oh, right. This does not make it seem like a better idea.
For people like you who have trouble telling certain colors apart NOT using certain colors for certain information is a VERY good idea. If I remember things from one of my uni course correctly blue-green color blindness effects something like 9% of males, this would make using Blue for one thing and Green for another a VERY bad idea
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #365
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
FIf I remember things from one of my uni course correctly blue-green color blindness effects something like 9% of males, this would make using Blue for one thing and Green for another a VERY bad idea
Red-green is the commonest, which also makes browns hard.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #366
Otaku
 
Otaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South Dakota, USA
Default Re: [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Red-green is the commonest, which also makes browns hard.
Isn't this why shapes are sometimes used alongside colors? Not sure how it would work with the pages, but perhaps a both the flat and the edge of the page could involve a repeated shape.

I didn't read this entire, massive thread so forgive me if I am wrong, but sometimes I think there should be GURPS Lite, GURPS Basic Set and GURPS Advanced Set (filler name, if you can think of something better let me know). There is so much wonderful information in Basic and sometimes... I think its too much. Other times... not enough. The same reason some Advantage is in GURPS Powers or that some rules are in GURPS Martial Arts... I wonder if those should apply to more of the Basic Set or maybe GURPS Lite. Please note this is off the top of my head so I've spent less than five minutes contemplating it... I just have to go do something and was afraid I'd forget if I didn't post now. =P

GURPS is such a "Do it yourself or pay us to do it for you" tool kit system (which I love!) so imagine if more of the core design was about how to do that, with just a few worked examples. Since 4.5 is purely hypothetical anyway and not happening, it might even make sense as not a replacement but an alternative to what we actually have.
__________________
My 4e library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Power-Ups 2, Power-Ups 3, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Social Engineering, Supers, and one issue of Pyramid (3/83), mostly provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #367
scc
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: [Speculation] GURPS 4.5e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Isn't this why shapes are sometimes used alongside colors? Not sure how it would work with the pages, but perhaps a both the flat and the edge of the page could involve a repeated shape.
And this is why the color don't MEAN anything. Basically the colors are there because they SJG couldn't get away with printing the books in monochrome any more, the market wouldn't allow it. Now instead of going the direction of Wizards and CGL with a 'Look at all our cool artwork' approach, they went with a simple bi-color (OK, the second color changes every chapter, but most pages are still bi-color) that strives to look PROFESSIONAL
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
4.5e, new skill, speculation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.