Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Maz

Default How do you become addicted?

I might have missed it but I don't think so...
In Characters there are the Addiction dissadvantage.
In Campaigns there are rather detailed rules for drugs, their effects, overdoses and even ruels for withdrawel.

But nowhere could I find any simple rules for when you become addicted to a drug? And don't give me the "Your the GM you decided" ;)

Personally I'm thinking that a crit-failure might get you hooked. So the really potent drugs (HT-6 or HT-8) are more likely to get you hooked than the less potent ones (HT-1 or HT+2).

Also campaigns mentiones that there are some poisons you do not get HT rolls to resist, and I guess the same could be true for Drugs? Ultra-tech drugs maybe?

The Setting I'm currently converting to GURPS has ultra-tech drugs and very easy-to-use rules for addictions. And I wanted some of that in GURPS, so thats why I ask.
In the original system, after taking a set number of drugs you had to make a HT check, if you failed you got addicted. After takign the same number of drugs again, you had to make a new HT roll but with a penalty depending on the potency of the drug, and so on, increasing the penalty for each "#" of drugs taken.

For instance there where Healing drug. If, with a month you took 30 you had to roll.
Whiel a Super combat drug you had to roll every time!

this would be easy to do with the GURPS rules, but would you suggest this? Are there better correct-GURPS rules to use?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
William

Default Re: How do you become addicted?

Hmm. A good question.

What about requiring the drug's Withdrawal roll every time the drug is used? As soon as you fail one, you become addicted?

I don't doubt some drugs have penalties for withdrawal, and for some getting the "dose" you crave might require failing an increasingly easy resistance roll, to represent tolerance, but I don't see rules for those on. p. 440 of campaigns, where drugs are discussed.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Addiction is way too complicated a topic to handle with "Take a dose, fail a roll, and it happens." A person needs a susceptible personality type, usually some sort of external pressure, etc., as well as the drug. Genetics also play a role. I hate to say it, but "The GM decides" is probably better than writing a book for one rule.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Gadrin

easy -- you keep doing them.

ever seen people with CHRONIC hats (or shirts) ?
Gadrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:07 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Addiction is way too complicated a topic to handle with "Take a dose, fail a roll, and it happens." A person needs a susceptible personality type, usually some sort of external pressure, etc., as well as the drug. Genetics also play a role. I hate to say it, but "The GM decides" is probably better than writing a book for one rule.
I can say that it would be virtually impossible for me to become addicted to any form of stimulant. Nothing could give a high good enough to compensate for the anxiety attack likely to occur simultaneously. I can't even take decongestants.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
That true of Psychlogical addtions. But Physical addtions dot require the right personality type. it is more the physical type or timing. and much more like catching a diesease.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:53 AM   #7
rintropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
That true of Psychlogical addtions. But Physical addtions dot require the right personality type. it is more the physical type or timing. and much more like catching a diesease.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
opioids, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, alcohol and nicotine are all well known for their ability to induce physical dependence
Booze is more "psychological" than physical, though if one is truly attempting the liver-pickle process it becomes a case of the DT's.

They say Heroin is pretty much a guaranteed craving from dose 1. I can't agree because when I tried it I just got really really really sick.

Other drugs, it's a question of whether it's psychological or physical. If it's something physical, it should be a question of missing some HT rolls. Getting off the stuff should be similarly moderated, since there may be some kind of "crutch" substance ala Methadone.

Of course, "Addiction" only covers the continual abuse of drugs, and not "hey, I'm smoking a joint" or "rave? sure! Can I buy a vowel?"... I don't think that a single dose of any drug is sufficient to impose an Addiction, unless it's--say--because a Secret came out & you're playing with the Disad Firehose.

And certainly not unless the player says "well, sure, I'll take the disad!" after continual drug use has been roleplayed.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl
This is also how I view them. Expecially these ultra-tech drugs, I spcifically need the rules for.

In a "normal" game, I wouldn't mind the "GM decide" way to go. As drugs would primarily be a character trait.

However in the setting I'm converting (SLA Industries) The drugs are ultra-tech drugs, the gameplay is highly action packed (with much combat) and the drugs are a VERY big part of this. Think Magic potions D&D style. Everyone whos going into combat is going to use them ,and alot of them.
The only drawback to the drugs however is that you might become addicted by excessive use. And this is also the reason why you might choose "less effective drugs", as they are less addictive.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadrin
easy -- you keep doing them.

ever seen people with CHRONIC hats (or shirts) ?
Well, I guess I'm addicted to clothing. I mean I have to put it on everyday... @:-)
Kale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:08 AM   #10
Martichoras

I support Kromm on this one.

An alternate suggestion might be to give each drug a frequency of submission roll, or have the user roll against HT at a significant bonus, initially, and then gradually increase the difficulty of the roll, depending on the degree of use.

In a game where ultratech drugs are an important element, I think "addiction prone personality/physiology" and "addiction resistant etc" could be valid traits. Fallout comes to mind.

Keep in mind that one can get addicted to methadone as well, and to needle pricks (ah, needle freaks), and to slot machines...

The distinction between physical and psychological addiction is subject to much debate. I would tend to call them all (mainly) psychological addictions, keeping in mind that to me "psychological" means "occuring in the brain, which is a physical organ like any other, only more complex".

Heroin is not as addictive, nor as pleasant, as many would have one believe; Most drugs, for most people, require several uses before they offer pleasant intoxication.