Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
Anders
Banned
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

Power-Ups 7 has a release date. Only the people at SJG (and mrs. Kromm) have high enough security clearance to know what it's about. So I thought we'd speculate a little.

NOTE: This is in NO way, shape, or form, to be confused with an official thread on the matter. It is pure fan speculation.

Most of the Power-Ups series have been about expansions of existing rules that had potential for expansion. In that sense, Social Engineering could probably have been a Power-Up if Kromm had written it.

So what areas needs expansion? My guess, based on experience, mathematical calculations and pure hope is Wildcard skills - which I think is a great way to reduce the skill bloat that GURPS is sometimes accused of.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

7 is something to do with Contacts, Allies and/or Patrons. 8 is Wildcards, I think. I might have them backwards.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated
 
Turhan's Bey Company's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Power-Ups 7 has a release date. Only the people at SJG (and mrs. Kromm) have high enough security clearance to know what it's about. So I thought we'd speculate a little.
More people really need to follow PK on Twitter. Between that and Kromm's LiveJournal, there are a lot of hints. Notably, the topic of Power-Ups 7 has been made quite clear, and there are some good leads for Power-Ups 8.
__________________
I've been making pointlessly shiny things, and I've got some gaming-related stuff as well.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Default Re: Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
More people really need to follow PK on Twitter. Between that and Kromm's LiveJournal, there are a lot of hints. Notably, the topic of Power-Ups 7 has been made quite clear, and there are some good leads for Power-Ups 8.
For those of us who hate texing, can you share?
__________________
Looking for group in my area
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
More people really need to follow PK on Twitter. Between that and Kromm's LiveJournal, there are a lot of hints. Notably, the topic of Power-Ups 7 has been made quite clear, and there are some good leads for Power-Ups 8.
Allow me to show off a prime example of the Willfully Anachronistic Quirk: "What's Twitter?" :)
__________________
"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
More people really need to follow PK on Twitter. Between that and Kromm's LiveJournal, there are a lot of hints. Notably, the topic of Power-Ups 7 has been made quite clear, and there are some good leads for Power-Ups 8.
I actually do follow him, but I hardly ever go on Twitter anymore.

I figure that if he really wanted me to see it, he'd announce it here :| :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #7
PK
Assistant GURPS Line Editor
 
PK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dobbstown Sane Asylum
Default Re: Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Allow me to show off a prime example of the Willfully Anachronistic Quirk: "What's Twitter?" :)
It's just a blog site -- a place where people can post announcements, random thoughts that pop into their heads, updates on their day, etc. Like Facebook or Livejournal. Click on the "Twitter" link in my sig to view my feed if you want to see for yourself.

(There are some weird, completely false memes about Twitter, like "you have to sign up for it to read someone's feed" or "you have to have a cell phone to use it." I don't know why. My guess is that they get it confused with Instagram, which does have weird restrictions similar to those.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I figure that if he really wanted me to see it, he'd announce it here
That assumes that I'm doing this as some sort of official way to distribute company information. Not the case -- if I have something official to say, I say so here or via the Daily Illuminator. No, I leak stuff on my Twitter feed 80% because it's fun and/or I'm bored and 20% because I think it'll be a cool Easter egg for the few people who do read my feed.

Or to flip your sentence: I figure that if you really want to see these leaks and hints, you'll check my feed. :)

--------

Now, this is swinging from "tangent" into "outright derailment." So let me be clear. <MOD> The leaks and hints from my Twitter feed (or any other blog site, like Kromm's Livejournal) are on-topic for this thread. The concept of Twitter itself, and whether it or similar sites are Good or Evil, is not. </MOD> With that said, let's hear some more speculation about GURPS Power-Ups 7!
__________________
Reverend Pee Kitty of the Order Malkavian-Dobbsian (Twitter) (LJ)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 08-20-2014 at 08:45 PM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Phantasm
 
Phantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the road again...
Default Re: Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
It's just a blog site -- a place where people can post announcements, random thoughts that pop into their heads, updates on their day, etc. Like Facebook or Livejournal. Click on the "Twitter" link in my sig to view my feed if you want to see for yourself.

(There are some weird, completely false memes about Twitter, like "you have to sign up for it to read someone's feed" or "you have to have a cell phone to use it." I don't know why. My guess is that they get it confused with Instagram, which does have weird restrictions similar to those.)
I was being facetious. I know what it is; I just don't use it (or Facebook, or MySpace, or any social networking site. Hence the smiley and Willfully Anachronistic Quirk ref.
__________________
"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Seraphim
 
Seraphim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ringgold, GA
Default Re: Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

From PK's Twitter account:

"#GURPS Power-Ups 7 and 8 blazing through production. Such fitting numbers: 7s are wild and 8 has... an appropriate mathematical property."

I feel like I have a good idea on what PU7 is. Not so much on 8.
Seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Speculation Thread; Power-Ups 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
From PK's Twitter account:

"#GURPS Power-Ups 7 and 8 blazing through production. Such fitting numbers: 7s are wild and 8 has... an appropriate mathematical property."

I feel like I have a good idea on what PU7 is. Not so much on 8.
A PDF of just spreadsheets to make complex rules organization easier.
Honestly, my 2 favorite Gurps items are fan made spreadsheets.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power-ups 7, speculation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.