Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
cptbutton

Default Re: New to In Nomine - Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
You could still work a backwards game by just defining what corruption is. If you define the axis as slave to the conformist regime that is currently in charge as the status quo and anything that brings someone further away from that making them more individual as corruption there you go.
If a Shedite of Freedom makes the host quit a lousy job does that count as corruption? What about a good job?
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
alexondria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
If a Shedite of Freedom makes the host quit a lousy job does that count as corruption? What about a good job?
to be honest I've never actually ran a backwards game. I was just thinking about the question of how you would fit Shedim into a game where the demons really were freedom fighters trying to free humanity from the shackles that the conformist angels would bind them in. They have to corrupt people to stay in them, but what is corruption. If the person/society in question values high levels of conformity than something that pushes a person away from conformity to that culture would be seen as corruption. As an example a society that believed that women should be seen and not heard because they are inferior to men. A Shedite could corrupt her little by little by leading her to believe that she wasn't inferior, that she had just as much right to be heard, maybe even getting her to leave and make something of herself only to return and show the other girls what she accomplished and lead them down the path of corruption behind her.

This led my mind to the idea that in In Nomine both Shedim and Kyrotites take over human bodies and do as they please with them. Kyrotites are supposed to do what they can to keep them from getting harmed where Shedim actively corrupt them. This could work in a backwards game too. If the Shedim are part of the freedom fighters who value individuality over all else and want to win that individuality for humanity then taking over a human and using them as a puppet would be distasteful, but it's the only way that they can get to Earth so they have to find a way. I could see their train of logic going something like this. "Those angels take over humans and just use them as puppets to enforce their conformity, but not us. No sir, we take care of our host. They are doing us a favor by letting us borrow their body for a bit so we push them a little closer to true freedom. They might not know that they want it yet, but they'll see in time."
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
cptbutton

Years ago I asked on the old Pyramid boards, I think:

If a Kyrotite possesses a drug addict and flushes his stash, does that count as helping him?

If a Shedite possesses a drug addict and restocks his stash, does that count as corrupting him?
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
Dalillama

Quote:
Years ago I asked on the old Pyramid boards, I think:

If a Kyrotite possesses a drug addict and flushes his stash, does that count as helping him?
Depends heavily on circumstance, and probably on the Superior they serve as well; a Creationer may have a different answer than a Stonie, and it will also probably depend on what the drug is and why they're using it. A qualified yes for most Kyrios, probably.

Quote:
If a Shedite possesses a drug addict and restocks his stash, does that count as corrupting him?
No. That's something they would have done on their own; for it to count, the Shedite has to push them over a line they haven't previously crossed. Going from popping oxycontin to shooting heroin or the like would probably count though.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demons