Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
ZeeGhoulFiend
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Default Clerics resurrect ability

The cleric has the ability to draw from the discard pile instead of drawing one from the deck whenever they are pulling a card face up has caused some confusions for my friends. Heck me too!

However, as I see it a cleric can draw ONE card (the top most one) while kicking down the door, but they must discard a DOOR card (not a treasure card) if they do. True? Also, does it matter if the DOOR card is in play, or in hand?

If true, exactly what DOOR cards can they actually resurrect? Any? Including curses (although why would you!), or any other NON-monster card?

Next, when it comes to drawing treasure cards face up (which I understand is only when the cleric gets help, or helps another munchkin during combat), can they check the treasure discard pile before using their ability?

Thus, if they have 3 treasure cards (in hand) and they want to use their resurrect ability, are they allowed to SEE what is in the treasure discard pile before attempting it? Also, must they declare before hand that they intend to discard XX number of treasure cards before actually doing it. In other words, do they need to say how many they want to pull, before they can take any treasure?
ZeeGhoulFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Clerics resurrect ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeGhoulFiend View Post
The cleric has the ability to draw from the discard pile instead of drawing one from the deck whenever they are pulling a card face up has caused some confusions for my friends. Heck me too!

However, as I see it a cleric can draw ONE card (the top most one) while kicking down the door, but they must discard a DOOR card (not a treasure card) if they do. True? Also, does it matter if the DOOR card is in play, or in hand?
False. Kicking Open the Door is a face-up draw, so the Cleric can Resurrect when drawing that card, but they can discard any card they wish from their hand to do so. It does not need to be a Door card. It must be from their hand (as the Resurrect text says so.)

Quote:
If true, exactly what DOOR cards can they actually resurrect? Any? Including curses (although why would you!), or any other NON-monster card?
They will resurrect the card which is on top of the Door discard pile. Whichever one is there. They treat it as the Door they kicked open, so if it is a Curse, it hits them, if it is a monster, they fight it and if it is anything else, it goes into their hand.

Quote:
Next, when it comes to drawing treasure cards face up (which I understand is only when the cleric gets help, or helps another munchkin during combat), can they check the treasure discard pile before using their ability?
It is not when the Cleric helps another player in combat. The combat owner is the one that draws all the Treasure in a combat. But yes, when the Cleric has a helper, they can do this. The Cleric cannot look through the discards before using Resurrection and they must declare how many cards they will resurrect before they start to Resurrect cards. For example, if the Cleric was going to draw 5 cards, he could declare he was resurrecting two of them. He then draws the top two cards of the Treasure discard deck, three cards from the Treasure deck and discards two cards from his hand (not any of the ones just drawn).

Quote:
Thus, if they have 3 treasure cards (in hand) and they want to use their resurrect ability, are they allowed to SEE what is in the treasure discard pile before attempting it?
No. They can only see the top card of the discards. Any cards that went into the discards were public knowledge, so they need to remember the order if it is important.

Quote:
Also, must they declare before hand that they intend to discard XX number of treasure cards before actually doing it. In other words, do they need to say how many they want to pull, before they can take any treasure?
Yes. Although they can discard any type of card from their hand, it doesn't have to be Treasure cards.
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abilities, cleric, discard

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.