Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
apoc527

Default [house rule] Quick RoF Fix question

I know I've seen this before on these forums: has anyone tried in play the quick fix that instead of 1 hit per Rcl, it's 10% of RoF hits per Rcl? The idea is to "fix" Spaceships' use of RoF over time, so maybe I"d limit this house rule to that situation.

So, say I have VRF beam and 3-minute turns. RoF is 1,000. Bonus is +10. Rcl is 1. For every point of MoS, I receive 100 hits.

Hmmm...maybe that's too generous. Maybe 5% of RoF is better, so every point of MoS is 50 hits. It's definitely better than hitting 10 times out of 1,000 shots!

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: [house rule]Quick RoF Fix question

If the player choose to sacrifice his RoF bonus, he can claim hitting 10%/recoil.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

Default Re: [house rule]Quick RoF Fix question

I was just thinking about this, and 5% per Margin of Recoil is probably the easiest to calculate and sanest.

The less sane option that I thought of was making it the square of the percentage, like so:
Code:
MoRcl   %Hit
1          1
2          4
3          9
4         16
5         25
6         36
7         49
8         64
9         81
10       100
So there's a nice converge in how much you hit as you make an overwhelming better shot, and its possible for a glancing hit to only hit with a few shots.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Phoenix_Dragon

Default Re: [house rule] Quick RoF Fix question

I do like the idea of scoring 10% of your hits per Rcl (With a further amendment that you always hit with at least one round per multiple; otherwise you get situations where you need to make your to-hit roll by 27 in order to hit with a double-tap), but it isn't without issues. The most notable would be that it makes RoF bonuses odd. If you use RoF bonuses, firing more rounds (Once you're past 10, using the "at least one per margin" ruling, at least) makes it more likely to hit with all your rounds. If you don't, then firing more rounds is no more likely to get one on-target than firing only one.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
mlangsdorf

The reason I'm moving towards the 5% per Margin of Recoil is that it's really rare to make an attack roll by 20+, and so although the "more shots into the air means a greater percentage hitting the target" still exists, it really doesn't come up under normal play.

But getting 5% of your shots fired per Margin of Recoil means that guns that fire huge number of shots - hundreds or thousands - have hit rates in the 10-25% range, not in the 10% or less.

It works out that if you can hit with 3 rounds from a 12 round burst of a 7.62mm rifle, the same aim point hits with about 15 to 20 rounds from a 100 round burst from a 7.62mm 6-barrel minigun.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
apoc527

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
The reason I'm moving towards the 5% per Margin of Recoil is that it's really rare to make an attack roll by 20+, and so although the "more shots into the air means a greater percentage hitting the target" still exists, it really doesn't come up under normal play.

But getting 5% of your shots fired per Margin of Recoil means that guns that fire huge number of shots - hundreds or thousands - have hit rates in the 10-25% range, not in the 10% or less.

It works out that if you can hit with 3 rounds from a 12 round burst of a 7.62mm rifle, the same aim point hits with about 15 to 20 rounds from a 100 round burst from a 7.62mm 6-barrel minigun.
Exactly my thinking. Sometimes the simplest solutions work best for actual play. The current rules are too little hits with high RoF Weapons, 10% seems too high, and so I settled on 5%...which seems about right.

Also, in case it wasn't obvious, it's 5% RoF (round up) or 1 per Rcl, whichever is greater. So, you only start seeing a difference in this rule when you start shooting with RoF >29. This only happens with gatling style guns OR in spaceships combat with long turn lengths.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
JP42

I definitely think 10% is too generous. I'm liking the square of the MoS as a percentage of shots fired a great deal.
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
mlangsdorf

I like the square of the margin of recoil in theory. It gives a nice curve as you center the gun on the target, and it feels about right to me from shooting skeet. Sometimes you nick the clay with a few pellets out of hundreds, and other times you turn the clay into vapor by hitting it with almost all of the pellets.

In practice, though, it's an ugly table lookup and for the likely margin range (1-8, in my experience), it has almost the same effect as 5% per margin of recoil. So go with the simpler solution and don't get distracted by the theoretically prettier answer.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
JP42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
In practice, though, [the square of MoS as a percentage is] an ugly table lookup and for the likely margin range (1-8, in my experience), it has almost the same effect as 5% per margin of recoil. So go with the simpler solution and don't get distracted by the theoretically prettier answer.
Wisdom in these words. I'll try the 5% rule.

Did you ever see the far less aggressive "use the Speed/Range table" option that, I think it was Doug, came up with?
JP42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
Anthony

The problem with fixing ROF is that it winds up demonstrating just how broken damage is, because it makes it a lot easier to hit that giant object with enough really really tiny hits to disintegrate it.