Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
saithan

Default GURPS Traveller Ship Design Spreadsheet

I had see people ask about this before , but never though further till I recently embraced GURPS Traveller. Ship design is not all that bad but even after doing it several times the task still took several hours and several re-peeks into the book for the formula...
during my second run at the ship design I created a spreadsheet. Over the next week I refined it (somewhat)...
NOTE:
cells are not protected (so be-careful)
the project is not completed... the Step concerning Crew is not complete. so the current method for calculating personnel Lmass is currently calculated using the method by-which the tonage is derived from the quarters installed on the ship. also the crew section of the Output is not complete (nor near so).

I am not great at speadsheets so don't crucify me if i got something wrong however, I hope you will improve on it and share.

anywhoo here ya go
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19948224/GTSD.ods
saithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
PoorMerchant

Default Re: GURPS Traveller Ship Design Spreadsheet

I can't get the download to open in Excel? I'm fairly clueless so it's almost certainly something I'm not doing!
PoorMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
NastyGuns

@PoorMerchant - That is because it is an Ooo.org/Libre Office spreadsheet. Excel won't read .ods files to the best of my knowledge. You'd need to download OpenOffice or Libre Office to read the file.
NastyGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by saithan View Post
I had see people ask about this before , but never though further till I recently embraced GURPS Traveller. Ship design is not all that bad but even after doing it several times the task still took several hours and several re-peeks into the book for the formula...
during my second run at the ship design I created a spreadsheet. Over the next week I refined it (somewhat)...
NOTE:
cells are not protected (so be-careful)
the project is not completed... the Step concerning Crew is not complete. so the current method for calculating personnel Lmass is currently calculated using the method by-which the tonage is derived from the quarters installed on the ship. also the crew section of the Output is not complete (nor near so).

I am not great at speadsheets so don't crucify me if i got something wrong however, I hope you will improve on it and share.

anywhoo here ya go
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19948224/GTSD.ods
You are aware that there is a ship building program out there for GURPS TRAVELLER STARSHIPS right? It is called GURPS MODULAR VEHICLES (GMV) by Thomas Bont.

Doing a Google Search on it, I got the following HIT you might want to take a look at.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~mjwest83/traveller/

I have it on my Windows 7 machine and it works nicely enough. It also works well on Windows XP. Make sure that when you pick it up, that you also get the Modular Vehicles Repository as well.

For the record, the repository (a database in effect) is not complete, and you will have to take the time to add those modules from GURPS TRAVELLER STARSHIPS by hand to it. The nice thing is, you can customize it with your own creations using GURPS VEHICLES if you would like.

Now, in addition to all of that, there is also the software GURPS VEHICLES BUILDER. It not only lets you build vehicles per GURPS VEHICLES 2nd edition, but also lets you build GURPS TRAVELLER STARSHIPS as well. GMV is free, while GURPS VEHICLE BUILDER is not. I'd suggest that you buy the GURPS VEHICLES BUILDER just to make your vehicle building simpler ;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
saithan

very aware but it is not 4th ed ready out the box
I do not know if you are trying to critique but the spread sheet you may not be aware is specific to intersteller wars.

Last edited by saithan; 06-30-2013 at 06:43 AM.
saithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by saithan View Post
very aware but it is not 4th ed ready out the box
I do not know if you are trying to critique but the spread sheet you may not be aware is specific to intersteller wars.
Ahhhh. So you'd want something for 4th edition using the rules from Interstellar Wars instead of Third Edition.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4th edition, ship design, traveller