Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
korbeau

Default [GM] a Gods tool - the Shell

Sorry for my bad English – but at least, I’m friendly :)

In my actual Cabal campaign, after 10 years, the players will be about to touch the upper plane of reality and now, I must create a new sort of tools for the gods; the Shell.

In game term, a Shell is a blank host where energy can be store and becoming whatever the gods want – avatar, angels, demons, Great One, Human.. even These Are Things Man Was Not Meant to Know.. Now, I must put that in stats.

Here what I thought:
A purely blank shell is represent by a blank sheet with 250cp (for a standard one. Can be more or not). He have 10 in each attributes, no advantages, no disadvantages and no skills. If he want to spend CP, it take him 1 second per CP to pay what he need. It’s like being a huge “Modular Abilities”.

Example: a Shell need to drive a car. He have 10 in all attributes. For a skill at 12, he need to spend 8cp. It take him 8 seconds to be imbue with the skill driving/12 [8]. Of course, if he have time, he could put 40cp in DEX to boost it at 12 instead but… in this example, he don't have time to wait 40 seconds.

After he drive the car, he can take back the CP (at 1 second/cp) or keep the skill but, his cp pool is now at 242.

The only thing I can thought for the Shell is having him a Perk at 0 – Being a Shell

Someone have a better idea how I can manipulate the rules for building this kind of being? Having in mind that in 1 or 2 years, my PC will play that creatures for an epic session.
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: [GM] a Gods tool - the Shell

Modular Abilities - Cosmic (One use only, x1/5)?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Modular Abilities - Cosmic (One use only, x1/5)?
But "One Use Only" does it mean he could use this ability only once?
The Shell could take back the CP and refuel his CP pool.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Refplace

yeah, not sure where the One Use limitation fits but Modular Abilities is the way to go here.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

wow, thats a 2500 point character with a slight decrease for time to use the modular. (its going to be under -30%)

are you sure there aren't other limitations? can they sprout magic attacks, languages, and hidden knowledge?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
korbeau

What I understand about Modular Abilities his you must have a top reach of the number of CP you put in there - that's what determine the cost of Modular Abilities.

What i need is a no limit slot and the slot include all what the character sheet can include.

Should it look like Modular Abilities (Cosmic +50%), cost [375] and I let a pool of 250CP? That way, he could put whatever CP point in whatever thing he want to?
For a Shell with a pool of 500cp, the cost of the advantage would be [750]?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
wow, thats a 2500 point character with a slight decrease for time to use the modular. (its going to be under -30%)

are you sure there aren't other limitations? can they sprout magic attacks, languages, and hidden knowledge?
The limitation is when the Shell become something permanently; Angel, Human, fly and all the consequences it came with ... I want something like the Higg's Boson of creature - the original matrix.
I know, a tough challenge
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
What I understand about Modular Abilities his you must have a top reach of the number of CP you put in there - that's what determine the cost of Modular Abilities.

What i need is a no limit slot and the slot include all what the character sheet can include.

Should it look like Modular Abilities (Cosmic +50%), cost [375] and I let a pool of 250CP? That way, he could put whatever CP point in whatever thing he want to?
For a Shell with a pool of 500cp, the cost of the advantage would be [750]?
Yep. Maybe put a limitation on there like Divine if it can be taken away or countered. But you already stated your top slot so your good.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
But "One Use Only" does it mean he could use this ability only once?
The Shell could take back the CP and refuel his CP pool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
yeah, not sure where the One Use limitation fits but Modular Abilities is the way to go here.
My misunderstanding. Yeah, this will be expensive. Maybe Morph? But that doesn't give skills, or does it?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
My misunderstanding. Yeah, this will be expensive. Maybe Morph? But that doesn't give skills, or does it?
It could give skills if they were racial or by GM fiat.
However Cosmic Modualr Abilities really seems perfect for what the Op wants.
No reason to worry about cost given the circumstances I think.
My GURPS Wiki entries

Tags
cabal, cthulhu, in nomine, infinite worlds, mage