Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #11
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
Not really, particularly when it's on the ground. .
Yes, really because it doesn't fight on the ground.

This is not a ground combat unit. It was primarily designed for space combat but does well in the air anyway.

It will be flying at over 1 kilometer and more likely at 400 kph than 4. I told you tanks don't even fight on the right battlefield but for some reason you decided to ignore that.

Look, the OP is asking about a specific anime that you apparently have never seen and whose fictional physics you disdain. You're not helping anybody.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
robkelk
Untitled
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: between keyboard and chair
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
Assuming they don't just nuke the site from orbit.
Canonically, the Zentradi don't have nukes.
__________________
Rob Kelk
“Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.”
– Bernard Baruch,
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Canonically, the Zentradi don't have nukes.
But the full Zentraidi fleet is capable of making an entire planet unihabitable with only a few minutes of energy weapon bombardment.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Phoenix_Dragon
 
Phoenix_Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Look, the OP is asking about a specific anime that you apparently have never seen and whose fictional physics you disdain. You're not helping anybody.
I've seen the anime, albeit a long time ago. I also played the RPGs inspired by them for several years. And I should point out, those mecha do fight on the ground, too (Fairly frequently from what little I remember of the show, barring the times they were in space, and even then they would still sometimes land on a ship). I certainly don't appreciate being accused of "disdaining" mecha-genre physics simply because I'm giving a more general overview of both sides, both realistic and cinematic. I even gave a fair description of why the realistic approach should likely be brushed aside in this case. You don't need to be rude just because I address things more broadly, and particularly not with a strawman.

Pointing out that a genre needs "rule-of-cool" in place in order to work as shown, and that it has flaws if one tries to follow realism strictly, is not "disdaining" it. It's pointing out a convention of the genre. I pointed that out because, if he's expecting the mecha to behave as it does in the show, he needs to know where to deviate from a strictly realistic interpretation that the base rules would give. Since the OP is talking about a Supers campaign rather than Robotech campaign, it seems like a good idea to at least consider what potential threats might be involved in that game; as most Supers games are set on a more-or-less modern-day earth, tanks seem like a decent possibility, and a good place to benchmark other large armored combat vehicles. If we had more specific details of the campaign in question, then we could give a more definite comparison, but we don't.

(And where does that 4 kph even come from?)
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
ssveter
 
ssveter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

I appreciate all the help on this and your right it is a glass cannon, however it is a highly mobile glass cannon and wasn't designed to fight a main battle tank. Certainly not from the front at least.

As a former tank master gunner I can personally atest that the top armor of most tanks is at most 2" RHA wheras the front armor of an M1A1 is over 18" RHA plus other classified stuff.

It is very likely that this mecha would make top attacks against ground targets. Against air targets it can hold its own with multiple weapon systems and defenses.


But to the point of what I am trying to do here. I ask is it better to stat this as an ally with the powers, as a template like the Dreadnaught from GURPS Supers, or as a vehicle....I am confused...help
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
ssveter
 
ssveter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

Here is what I came up with on GCA for one of the hip missile launchers firing the Maggot Missile capable of launching 21 missiles at a time. The individual missiles are based loosely on the AIM9 Sidewinder using 5.76kg of CL20 explosives

Diwhaug Ratsatoul-8 missile launcher CR Attack 6 (Armor Divisor (10); Explosive (Damage / 3xYards); Damage Multiplier (x8);
Gadget/Breakable: DR 21; Gadget/Breakable: Size 0 or more; Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Must be forcefully removed; High-Tech; Homing
(Combined active radar[20] and LLLTV[5]/IIR[10]) (+35); Increased Range (x20); Limited Use (1/day); Rapid Fire (1x21); Selective
Fire; Superscience) [1306]

Last edited by ssveter; 02-14-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Typo
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
ssveter
 
ssveter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

This is what it looks like in the weapon stat block

Weapon Damage ACC Range RoF shots Rcl
Diwhaug Ratsatoul-8 6dx8 (10) cr ex/3 3 200/2000 1x21 1 1
missile launcher
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
Dustin
 
Dustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The former Chochenyo territory
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
I ask is it better to stat this as an ally with the powers, as a template like the Dreadnaught from GURPS Supers, or as a vehicle.
The answer to this will mostly depend on what the other PCs are bringing. If you stat it as an Ally, it will wipe the floor with PCs built as conventional supers (and NPCs built as threats).

If everyone has mecha-suit Allies, then that doesn't matter. If they don't, then Dreadnaught-style is probably best.

Vehicle seems like a poor third option, as anime powered armor (even at 55ft tall) can do all the jumping, acrobatics, crouching etc that a person can do, and that's just easier to figure as a 55ft person than via vehicular controls in GURPS. I think. I haven't looked at the recent Pyramid with Pulver's tweaks on Spaceships as Mecha, though.
__________________
My gaming blog: Thor's Grumblings
Keep your friends close, and your enemies in Close Combat.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
ssveter
 
ssveter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
If everyone has mecha-suit Allies, then that doesn't matter. If they don't, then Dreadnaught-style is probably best.
What I will probably do is scale down the Q-Rau power armor to normal human size and build it that way. It will still be a formidable opponent for supers. Most of the supers in the game are mutants, this villain is superscience/high-tech. I've thought the suit might even be signature gear.

The plotline is that this enemy is a micronized advanced scout for the invading Zentraedi forces. There will be two versions of the armor, full-sized and micronized.

Hopefully the supers can convince the scout that attempting to attack earth will doom the Zentraedi. Much like the Macross movie.
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #20
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Building Zentraedi Power Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
(And where does that 4 kph even come from?)
Looks like I misread a distance for a speed in your description of tank gunnery.

Tank guns still aren't used to for AA fire even against helicopters, much less jets and a Q Rau is more algile than both put together.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gurps 4e, mecha, powers, supers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.