Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Jadefire
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Default Concealing Hand Information

There's no information on this in the manual but is there an unspoken rule about having to reveal the number and/or backs of the cards in your hand?

I have no problem telling people how many cards are in my hand if they ask but I don't show the card backs so they can't tell how many door and treasure cards I have. This is especially true when I get hit with the Lose Two Cards curse or any bad stuff that has my opponents drawing cards out of my hand. I hide the card backs and randomize my hand and my opponents have to pick a number corresponding to the card they wish to take. This is to prevent people from going directly for the treasure cards in my hand. Is this a legal play?
Jadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: Concealing Hand Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefire View Post
There's no information on this in the manual but is there an unspoken rule about having to reveal the number and/or backs of the cards in your hand?
Yes. It's called fair play. It's expected that when you are playing a game with hand cards, that what cards are in your hand is private, but hiding your hand is considered unfair, and often illegal.
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Concealing Hand Information

To be clear:

The number and type of cards in your hand is public information. Which specific cards those are is not.

Which cards you have IN PLAY is public information, and the rule text on those cards is also public information. Hiding cards in play (such as concealing a Wishing Ring behind another one-shot) is grounds for expulsion from a tournament or other formal event.
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Jadefire
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Default Re: Concealing Hand Information

What about when other players draw cards from your hand (E.g., Lose Two Cards), is the type supposed to be known to the other players at that point or is the drawing supposed to be random?
Jadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Gardensnake
 
Gardensnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: Concealing Hand Information

The word draw to me suggests picking without being able to see the faces of the cards and that's the way we play in our group.

William

Last edited by Gardensnake; 02-02-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: grammer correction
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #6
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Concealing Hand Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefire View Post
What about when other players draw cards from your hand (E.g., Lose Two Cards), is the type supposed to be known to the other players at that point or is the drawing supposed to be random?
I agree with Gardensnake. Drawing cards from the hand typically implies that the player randomises his card order, then holds it up so the opponent can take a card from it. Trying to conceal which type of card they are taking is more like giving a random card to them. The text of the curse does not mention that their choice should be random, so they should be able to pick whether they take a Door or Treasure card (unless you sleeve the cards with opaque backs, of course).
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.

Last edited by Clipper; 02-03-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Gardensnake
 
Gardensnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: Concealing Hand Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
I disagree with Gardensnake. Drawing cards from the hand typically implies that the player randomises his card order, then holds it up so the opponent can take a card from it. Trying to conceal which type of card they are taking is more like giving a random card to them. The text of the curse does not mention that their choice should be random, so they should be able to pick whether they take a Door or Treasure card (unless you sleeve the cards with opaque backs, of course).
Clipper, please read my post before disagreeing with me. I said picking without seeing the FACES not backs. My suggestion is random in that the player picking can't see the specific card but the player can see the back so can tell door from treasure easily.
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor
 
Andrew Hackard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Concealing Hand Information

I also wouldn't quarrel with a house rule that said the draw should be random, and there's an entry in the FAQ discussing hand draws that goes into more detail.
__________________
Andrew Hackard || Munchkin Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Concealing Hand Information

Gardensnake, sorry. I did mistake that word.

Andrew, thanks for the pointer to the FAQ. I had forgotten that one was in there and I was interpreting only your original response in this thread (and Munchkinman's). I see now that it's up to the group to decide whether they want to make it purely random or not and Jadefire's method in the second question of his original post is perfectly valid, provided his group agrees.
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.

Last edited by Clipper; 02-03-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Gardensnake
 
Gardensnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Default Re: Concealing Hand Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Gardensnake, sorry. I did mistake that word.

Andrew, thanks for the pointer to the FAQ. I had forgotten that one was in there and I was interpreting only your original response in this thread (and Munchkinman's). I see now that it's up to the group to decide whether they want to make it purely random or not and Jadefire's method in the second question of his original post is perfectly valid, provided his group agrees.
No prob Clipper,

It's all good.

William
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.