Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #61
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Default Re: GURPS Releases seem to be slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
People always forget The Blood of Heroes. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
A Boy and His Dog?
Both of which informed "Deathball."
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #62
Jerander

Quote:
There are no mysteries surrounding GURPS After the End: e23 has significant autonomy in what it plans and executes. The sales success of GURPS Action, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, and GURPS Monster Hunters allowed e23 to convince the Managing Editor to approve the series. However, Steve is the Editor in Chief – that's a big step up the org chart from Managing Editor – and has the final say on what we publish. He has an interest in post-apoc fiction, so his approval depends on being convinced that the series would not interfere with his desire to see GURPS Survivors one of these days (that isn't the same as him saying that he wants to write that book, please note!). If nothing else, he needs to find time to read the material and discuss the title, which is a low priority given everything else on his plate.

Such is life . . . sometimes, we leak the title of something that looks like it's almost a sure thing, only to run into a problem with the contract, or legal concerns, or simply an approval hitch (as here). After the End remains on my weekly report; it isn't marked "Dead" in our database or anything dire like that. Like GURPS Vehicle Design, it's something that we probably shouldn't have mentioned so early, but we're not perfect.

The concern about supporting four worked genre examples instead of three is a much, much smaller one. Publishing After the End wouldn't necessarily take anything away from Action, Dungeon Fantasy, or Monster Hunters, or make some as-yet-unnamed genre series impossible. Not publishing it wouldn't guarantee more support for the three published series, or improve the odds of some unnamed series seing the light of day. When I mentioned the matter of how many such series we could support, it was in the context of the day, week, month, and quarter when we discussed the issue, not "for all time."
Once again, thank you for sharing this. It helps to hear what's going on on the inside of things.

GURPS After The End is one of the titles I've been most excited about in recent (since the switch to GURPS 4e) memory. Since the "supporting four worked genres" issue seems minor, here's to hoping that Mr. Jackson decides it won't interfere with GURPS Survivors. After all, if my recollection is correct (I didn't have time to look for the reference last night...), it'd be sad that a currently written project doesn't move ahead in favor of one that has been on the table for 20+ years...
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #63
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
The concern about supporting four worked genre examples instead of three is a much, much smaller one. Publishing After the End wouldn't necessarily take anything away from Action, Dungeon Fantasy, or Monster Hunters, or make some as-yet-unnamed genre series impossible. Not publishing it wouldn't guarantee more support for the three published series, or improve the odds of some unnamed series seing the light of day. When I mentioned the matter of how many such series we could support, it was in the context of the day, week, month, and quarter when we discussed the issue, not "for all time."
As far as I know, GURPS Action hasn't gotten any support, ever, since the publication of its first supplement, GURPS Action 3.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #64
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
As far as I know, GURPS Action hasn't gotten any support, ever, since the publication of its first supplement, GURPS Action 3.
There's a pyramid article that converts Action templates into Cliffhanger templates. And Action is a bit of a funny bird because it interfaces with GURPS so well. DF needs lots of highly specific support. Action doesn't. For example, Gun Fu certainly supports Action, but it has broader applications. DF has fewer broader applications and more rigorous assumptions than Action does.

(Not that I'd mind seeing further Action support)
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #65
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
How upcoming is GURPS Vehicle Design System?
Vehicle Design, due to the size of the book, needs at least 3-5 weeks of dedicated, full time work for me to complete it.

Unfortunately, this last year I have not been able to generate the spare savings ($500-1000 or so) to support myself and my family for the period of time I've have to give up from other projects (ongoing work for hire ones, Pyramid articles, etc.) to devote those 3-5 weeks to it.

The last major spate of Vehicle Design work was financed by royalties from good sales of the last GURPS Spaceships books and Psi-Tech. Unfortunately, sales on these have declined as they are no longer new, and the current busy SJG schedule and backlog means that has not been an opportunity to write and publish new GURPS books whose sales could finance such further work.

Now, of course, this might change. A lucrative project might arrive and do well. If I had a sudden surge in sales on Spaceships series, Abydos, Mass Combat, or Psi-Tech (books I get royalties for) that generated, say, collectively 200 more sales in a given month than is usual, I could afford it. If I won $1000 in a lottery. However, that is rather unlikely. Or some time later in the year, the GURPS schedule might clear, a shorter GURPS book might be written and published, and its sales may provide enough to let me take those weeks needed to finish the book.

Until then, I devote a few hours each month to it; eventually (over several months) these will build up to the book being finished.

Last edited by David L Pulver; 01-11-2013 at 02:29 AM.
David L Pulver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #66
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Pulver View Post
If I had a sudden surge in sales on Spaceships series, Abydos, Mass Combat, or Psi-Tech (books I get royalties for) that generated, say, collectively 200 more sales in a given month than is usual, I could afford it. If I won $1000 in a lottery. However, that is rather unlikely. Or some time later in the year, the GURPS schedule might clear, a shorter GURPS book might be written and published, and its sales may provide enough to let me take those weeks needed to finish the book.
Now that's a pretty good reason to clear my backlog on "Want to buy some time in the future" list of pdfs. I just need a way to cover my food bills for a week or two...
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #67
Tomsdad

Quote:
Vehicle Design, due to the size of the book, needs at least 3-5 weeks of dedicated, full time work for me to complete it.

Unfortunately, this last year I have not been able to generate the spare savings ($500-1000 or so) to support myself and my family for the period of time I've have to give up from other projects (ongoing work for hire ones, Pyramid articles, etc.) to devote those 3-5 weeks to it.

The last major spate of Vehicle Design work was financed by royalties from good sales of the last GURPS Spaceships books and Psi-Tech. Unfortunately, sales on these have declined as they are no longer new, and the current busy SJG schedule and backlog means that has not been an opportunity to write and publish new GURPS books whose sales could finance such further work.

Now, of course, this might change. A lucrative project might arrive and do well. If I had a sudden surge in sales on Spaceships series, Abydos, Mass Combat, or Psi-Tech (books I get royalties for) that generated, say, collectively 200 more sales in a given month than is usual, I could afford it. If I won $1000 in a lottery. However, that is rather unlikely. Or some time later in the year, the GURPS schedule might clear, a shorter GURPS book might be written and published, and its sales may provide enough to let me take those weeks needed to finish the book.

Until then, I devote a few hours each month to it; eventually (over several months) these will build up to the book being finished.
No worries, we've waited this long, it will just feel all the sweeter when it finally arrives!

We do appreciate all the work you're putting in on this (please view all requests for Gurps vehicles as a desire to appreciate even more of your work!).

I assume there will be further editing process after those manhours have been found and put in and then a placement process for production?

Actually are you thinking of a PDF release and then a print release funded by the PDF, or just going straight to print?

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-11-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #68
Anders

Quote:
No probs. Kromm is a physicist, I'm sure he can whip up a time-warping device.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #69
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
No probs. Kromm is a physicist, I'm sure he can whip up a time-warping device.
Uh, he's specced in parachronics, not chronomanipulation.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #70
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Uh, he's specced in parachronics, not chronomanipulation.
Am I evil for imagining a parachronic Olympics, in which everyone races across the multi-verse in wheel chairs?