Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

Sneakin' and scoutin'
Hackin', slashin', and killin'
And of course lootin'
— Ancient dwarvish haiku
Did you like Pyramid #3/36: Dungeon Fantasy? Do you need more templates and power-ups and dungeons and gear? If you said no, then get out of here, maggot! This issue is for monster-slaying, swag-hunting heroes, not pansy elves. Because more is always better, e23 presents Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II.
  • Remember when dwarves were dwarves, pansy elves were pansy elves, and nobody needed to join silly professional associations run by humans to go out and stick sharp pieces of metal in orcs? If you do, then Races as Professions is for you.

  • Do you use GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9: Summoners but find your demonologists and necromancers getting bored when they have no demons or undead to play with? Dark Summonings provides lenses to loosen up their niches a bit, along with new multi-profession lenses and a playable bloodsucking race with a vested interest in the Dark Side.

  • Those of you playing a saint or a warrior-saint (see Pyramid #3/36) will love Saintly Power-Ups. But here's a secret: This article doesn't just expand saints – it opens up the entire system of GURPS Powers: Divine Favor, with levels of Divine Favor past 16, new traits for paragons, and the ultimate godly power of History-Shaping Miracles!

  • What do you get if you take normal dungeons and stretch out the corridors from yards to miles? Super Dungeons, of course! In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver not only explains how to justify and use these constructions in a game, but also provides an example (with a map!) for you to drop into your existing campaign.

  • GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 13: Loadouts made the tedious task of assigning equipment so much faster and easier . . . but since its release, later supplements have added the mentalist, while Pyramid has added the demolisher, justiciar, monster slaver, musketeer, and mystic knight. It's time for Matt Riggsby to give us More Dungeon Fantasy Loadouts, right? Right.

  • The pajama-wearing stars of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 12: Ninja hogged all the spotlight time (ironic for a bunch of guys who dress like bunraku puppeteers, neh?), relegating the less-flashy assassin to a mere box. After numerous death threats, Peter Dell'Orto came back to give us Power-Ups for Assassins. With plenty of boons, including seven new perks useful for any quiet killer, it's safe (heh-heh) to say that there's no longer a contract on his head.

  • To balance out the serious article above, Peter also delivered a Dungeon Fantasy Monsters-style take on a couple of Snowmen. Go ahead, let your players laugh and crack Rankin/Bass jokes . . . it'll just make the GM's smile all the more satisfying when the delvers' ho-ho-hot blood spills across the tundra.

  • And our final gifts to you are this month's usual features, including a Random Thought Table that contrasts consistency against massive change, an Odds and Ends FROM HELL, and a Murphy's Rules that pulls those loose cannon back in line.
PK & Kromm
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My LiveJournal [Just GURPS News][Just The Company]
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Humabout
 
Humabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Default Re: Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

~looks for his debit card~
__________________
Buy My Stuff!

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
jacobmuller
 
jacobmuller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Not in your time zone:D
Default Re: Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
~looks for his debit card~
When you find it, subscribe, I've had my doubts but, it pays off in the long run.

As for 50th Issue:
Wow, four+ years...
my favourite articles were mostly in issue 34; full of easy to understand adjustments. Deadly Spring and Action Points/ Painful Recovery were good but harder to use.
__________________
"Sanity is a bourgeois meme." Exegeek
PS sorry I'm a Parthian shootist: shiftwork + out of = not here when you are:/
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Humabout
 
Humabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Default Re: Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
When you find it, subscribe, I've had my doubts but, it pays off in the long run.
You have a point, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
As for 50th Issue:
Wow, four+ years...
my favourite articles were mostly in issue 34; full of easy to understand adjustments. Deadly Spring and Action Points/ Painful Recovery were good but harder to use.
I'm actually more of the opinion that Deadly Spring and Action Points are among my favorite additions via pyramid. But boy do I love me some DF yumminess!
__________________
Buy My Stuff!

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer
 
Kuroshima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
  • Remember when dwarves were dwarves, pansy elves were pansy elves, and nobody needed to join silly professional associations run by humans to go out and stick sharp pieces of metal in orcs? If you do, then Races as Professions is for you.
Very neat article, now we need that for every race ;) My only issues with them, is that, with most of the racial power-ups already taken, and with little in the way of professional power-ups, compared to other templates, they may lack growth potential, and eventually feel stale. That's more of an issue for dwarves than it is for elves, because as elves try to do everything, they are seldom lacking in places to put points in. Still, my experience is that generalists don't do that well in DF, at least not if the opposition is gauged against the non-generalists, who, in DF tradition, twink and munchkin the hell out of their characters. Multiclassing is always an option, but see above for what issues I have with trying to be a jack of all trades...
Quote:
  • Do you use GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9: Summoners but find your demonologists and necromancers getting bored when they have no demons or undead to play with? Dark Summonings provides lenses to loosen up their niches a bit, along with new multi-profession lenses and a playable bloodsucking race with a vested interest in the Dark Side.
I find these variants much more interesting than the originals. My only issue is that I would have included the spells in the Onyx Path in Magical Styles as options for both templates.
Quote:
  • Those of you playing a saint or a warrior-saint (see Pyramid #3/36) will love Saintly Power-Ups. But here's a secret: This article doesn't just expand saints – it opens up the entire system of GURPS Powers: Divine Favor, with levels of Divine Favor past 16, new traits for paragons, and the ultimate godly power of History-Shaping Miracles!
I can't provide unbiased commentary here ;)
Quote:
  • What do you get if you take normal dungeons and stretch out the corridors from yards to miles? Super Dungeons, of course! In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver not only explains how to justify and use these constructions in a game, but also provides an example (with a map!) for you to drop into your existing campaign.
Very good article, though maybe the weakest of the bunch. Tries to cover too much ground. I would have either focused more on the sample super-dungeon, or provided more advice on creating your own super dungeons.
Quote:
  • GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 13: Loadouts made the tedious task of assigning equipment so much faster and easier . . . but since its release, later supplements have added the mentalist, while Pyramid has added the demolisher, justiciar, monster slaver, musketeer, and mystic knight. It's time for Matt Riggsby to give us More Dungeon Fantasy Loadouts, right? Right.
I didn't use Loadouts, because the supplement was out way after my characters looked like xmass trees laden with glowing magic items and top notch gear. Still, I find them very well written and potentially very useful. The Pyramid templates were lacking them, so that's now fixed!
Quote:
  • The pajama-wearing stars of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 12: Ninja hogged all the spotlight time (ironic for a bunch of guys who dress like bunraku puppeteers, neh?), relegating the less-flashy assassin to a mere box. After numerous death threats, Peter Dell'Orto came back to give us Power-Ups for Assassins. With plenty of boons, including seven new perks useful for any quiet killer, it's safe (heh-heh) to say that there's no longer a contract on his head.
I would have added some sort of special "death blow" unique technique, or something expensive. Other than that, it's what I would have written, only done with much greater skill.
Quote:
  • To balance out the serious article above, Peter also delivered a Dungeon Fantasy Monsters-style take on a couple of Snowmen. Go ahead, let your players laugh and crack Rankin/Bass jokes . . . it'll just make the GM's smile all the more satisfying when the delvers' ho-ho-hot blood spills across the tundra.
Makes me want DFM2 even more ;)
Quote:
  • And our final gifts to you are this month's usual features, including a Random Thought Table that contrasts consistency against massive change, an Odds and Ends FROM HELL, and a Murphy's Rules that pulls those loose cannon back in line.
PK & Kromm
Not a fan of RTT normally, but the platonic ideal things would do for a very tongue in cheek game, I'll shelve it for future use for sure... The explosive advancement section suits shorter campaigns than what I'm used to, so I will get less use out of it.
I think that we should start mining Munchkin for ideas on prefixes and suffixes for monsters, unless the IP owner objects... 8P
__________________
Antoni Ten
MIB3119
My GURPs character sheet
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World
 
Peter V. Dell'Orto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New Jersey
Default Re: Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I would have added some sort of special "death blow" unique technique, or something expensive.
I considered something like that, but I didn't want to step on the Master of Death version of the ninja's toes, cross over too much into Swashbuckler and their special blows, and the Hand of Death that martial artists get.

It would have been nice if I found something really expensive that was worth the cost, but I really just didn't have a good idea for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Other than that, it's what I would have written, only done with much greater skill.

Makes me want DFM2 even more ;)
Thanks.

And me too!
__________________
Peter V. Dell'Orto
aka Toadkiller_Dog or TKD
My Author Page
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
Greg 1
 
Greg 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

Oh man!

I just saw this. I haven't read the articles yet, but this issue of Pyramid jumps out immediately as a must have.

I can't wait to read this one! :)
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Carlos
 
Carlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Campos dos Goytacazes - RJ - Brazil
Default Re: Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Makes me want DFM2 even more ;)
Me too. Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2 (and so on...) would be awesome.

The Dark Summoning Article made a great job to turn Necromancers and Demonologists more appealing. Before this upgrade, Necromancers and Demonologists were just Pokemon Masters, controling their pet while doing nothing else. Deathbolt seems awesome (and I can imagine a gruesome flying-skull). And to build a Death Knight (a Knight with necromatic powers) is cool.

But why Infernal Diabolists doesn't have Shapeshifting (Demon)?
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
Pomphis
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Default Re: Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

Because there is an almost infinte number of completely different demons ?
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
Carlos
 
Carlos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Campos dos Goytacazes - RJ - Brazil
Default Re: Pyramid #3/50: Dungeon Fantasy II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
Because there is an almost infinte number of completely different demons ?
Really? Where they are? Which book?

In any case, I don't think there are more demons than vertebrates, which can be shapeshifted by druids. I think that one, may two demons forms were already good enough: the devil kin and the standard demon, from DF Summoners..
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pyramid 3/50, pyramid issues

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.