Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin Quest

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator

Default (Updated 8/1/13) Forum rules: Trust me, you'll want to read this first.

There are few things I would suggest you try, before you ask a question:
  • Search through the PDF of the rules. It's easier than trying to scan through 20 pages without a search engine.
  • Verify that your question hasn't already been handled in the FAQ. I know the FAQ is not well populated at the moment. I'm sure it will be more helpful as the years go by.
  • Search the forum. It can help a lot. There's a button, on the right side above the topic threads that says, "Search this Forum."

Searching this forum:

Munchkin Quest uses a lot of small or common words. There are two important ideas to remember:
1) Using the asterisk (*) in the forum search can help you find short words, by making Elf into Elf* (for example).
2) Google has a feature that will allow you to us it to find stuff in the forums. Just add "site:forums.sjgames.com" in your Google search. Now, that will be ALL of SJ Games' forums, not just the Munchkin Quest forum, so you might still have a lot of items to scour through, but with the right application of Search Fu, you should be able to find what you're looking for.

Custom card ideas:

We know you really want to share your custom card ideas, we really do, but please don't share them on this forum. Instead, submit them here. Using that form puts your card ideas into our database, which makes it easier to find them later on when we're scratching our heads for inspiration.

Dealer Shoes/Discard bins/Card sleeves:
Occasionally, someone asks, "Hey, why doesn't SJ Games make a really cool, tricked-out dealer's shoe for Munchkin Quest?" or a similar question about custom Munchkin Quest card sleeves. The short answer is: We'd really like to, but we can't make it cost-effective. We'll keep working at it. (Note that Munchkin Quest uses different-sized cards from Munchkin and its spawn.)

I want to play Munchkin Quest online!
So do we all. Munchkin Quest is such an exception-driven game, however, that coding a computer or console version is something of a nightmare. For now, SJ Games doesn't have any definite plans for a "Munchkin Quest Online." It's unfortunate, but we're not a computer game company and our talents don't lie in that direction. If this changes, we'll trumpet the news from the heavens!

Hey, I said Warrior worked like THIS and you contradicted me! I've been playing Munchkin since 2001!
Remember that Munchkin Quest is not Munchkin, and you can't rely on Munchkin rules to work the same way in Munchkin Quest. There are some intentional differences, and others that just grew that way.

Who are you guys, anyway?
Andrew Hackard is the Munchkin Czar (or, if you're being boring, Brand Manager). It's his job to keep all the Munchkin sets in print and make sure that everyone hits their deadlines. Andrew drinks way too much coffee and has been known to mutter to himself in Latin.

Leonard Balsera (lenny) is the Munchkin Hireling. He works with Andrew to make sure that everything that needs doing gets done. This involves a lot of saying, "Andrew, don't forget about . . ." Be nice to Lenny; he has to work closely with Andrew.

Angie Kreuser (angiek) used to be the Munchkin Hireling, but has moved over to Warehouse 23 and e23 customer service. An old saying about frying pans and fires comes to mind . . . and we wish her well in her new role.

Erik Zane (MunchkinMan) is the Munchkin NetRep. It's his job to know everything about the rules for Munchkin Quest, including what we said the last time someone asked your question.

Steve Jackson wrote Munchkin Quest. Thanks, Steve!

Andrew, Lenny, and Erik are the moderation staff for this forum. Generally, we try to keep things friendly and cheerful. You can help by treating other posters as you'd like to be treated -- or, even better, as you'd like your favorite relative to be treated. When one of the moderators answers a rule question, you can assume that answer is official unless they say it's just an opinion.

One last request: Please try not to post a bunch of unrelated questions in a single post. We really do go back and look at previous rulings, and it helps us out when the discussions stay focused. If a conversation starts getting too fractured, we may split it into separate threads.

Okay, let's have fun! Now! Have fun now, people!
MiB #1029

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 02-08-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default "Official" Rulings

When you post a question to this forum, Erik and I assume that you're asking for the way things work according to the official rules (including their official clarifications, some of which haven't actually been written down because no one's asked the right question yet).

If we aren't sure, we'll make it explicit that we're giving an unofficial answer, our best guess, and try hard to get back to the thread to give you the official answer once we've had a chance to put our heads together and consult Them Who Tells Us When We're Wrong.

When we DO make an official ruling, you're allowed to disagree with it -- POLITELY. We have even been known to change our minds when presented with a good argument. (Steve never changes his mind; reality merely shifts around him to conform to what he has always known.) But it's kinda silly to ask on the official Munchkin Quest forum about the official Munchkin Quest rules and then claim that you didn't get an official Munchkin Quest ruling.

If you don't like the official ruling, no one's going to force you to play that way at home in your own living room . . . but that doesn't change the fact that you're using a house rule at that point. If you play in a tournament or at a demo, you'll be expected to know and play by the official rules as written and interpreted by SJ Games staff -- which is why it's so important for us to be clear on this.

Twitter: @SJGames || Facebook: SJ Games and Munchkin || Medium: @SJGames
Instagram: @stevejacksongames || YouTube: Steve Jackson Games

New Munchkin player? Visit our Munchkin 101 forum!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Some matters of Intellectual Property

Last update: 2/7/12

Steve Jackson Games takes its Intellectual Property rights very seriously. (This term covers things such as copyrights, trademarks, patents, and trade dress. You can find a more detailed discussion in our Online Policy.) We are happy to have you share your love for Munchkin Quest, but we have to look out for our IP rights in the process.

May I make a Web page about Munchkin Quest? Certainly, as long as it follows the Online Policy. Most especially, please note that we CANNOT allow you to post any rule text, including card text, except in the specific context of a review or critical discussion of the game. We also cannot provide art for you to use on your page, other than what is already available on our site. And if your page looks too much like the pages on sjgames.com or worldofmunchkin.com, we may ask you to change your design.

May I make a T-shirt/patch/baseball cap/other wearable item using the Munchkin Quest logo (or Munchkin Quest art)? I'm sorry, but the blanket answer to this question is "no." There is a somewhat more complete answer in the Online Policy which boils down to "Probably not, but we've allowed it in very special circumstances."

May I get a Munchkin Quest tattoo? If so, what bonus would it give me? After some discussion, we have decided that awarding bonuses for Munchkin Quest body art is not quite in the spirit of our promotional efforts, which usually require one to relinquish the promotional item in question to obtain the bonus, and so we won't start down that road.

That said, if you love Munchkin Quest enough to ink yourself up with it, we have no strong objections. If it's a tasteful tattoo in a worksafe location, we might even link it from our Flickr stream. Might.

May I create a Munchkin Quest game aid to post to my web page? It depends on what you intend to do. If it's something that does not use our copyrighted rules text (including text on cards), and in other ways follows our Online Policy (note especially the discussion of "trade dress"), then we're probably OK with it. If you want to submit it to SJ Games for us to potentially host, then you can have more latitude; just understand that the answer may be, "Sorry, no thanks." We would prefer that people avoid electronic game aids for Munchkin Quest.

I submitted a game aid for consideration a long time ago, and I haven't heard anything! If you followed the procedure in the Online Policy (see how I keep linking to it? That's a hint) and you haven't heard anything beyond the initial, "We'll take a look," then we're probably just really busy at the moment. Like we usually are. A polite nudge after the first month or so is not inappropriate, but past that, please just wait for it to bubble to the top of our list. If you never heard from us at all, it's possible our spam filter ate it, or else we were so busy we neglected that bit of courtesy; a quick poke after a week wouldn't be amiss. And thanks for understanding.

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 02-08-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default New rule: NO trading/selling posts here.

We have a forum dedicated to people who want to trade or sell items: the Trading Post. Accordingly, I'm now declaring all such posts off-topic in the Munchkin forums. This includes pointers to sales/trades/auctions elsewhere. If you're interested in such things, pay attention to the Trading Post. If we see posts like that here, we will delete them.

Last edited by Andrew Hackard; 08-01-2013 at 05:33 AM.
Closed Thread