Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Dalillama

Default Re: Using a quarterstaff with Axe/Mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Actually, what are those weapons that look like staves with extra weight at the end? I can't even find a name for them in Martial Arts. They're a not-uncommon fantasy weapon, typically used by very strong characters. They are used in a fashion very similar to a staff, but they have striking heads at each end, varying from mace-size to something that looks like a couple of huge clubs joined at the handles depending on your wackiness level.
Yeah, there's a comic that used to be in Dragon Magazine where some of the mooks use something like that; two knobbed mace heads on either end of a quarterstaff. Can't remember the name of the comic for the life of me though.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #12
Walrus

Quote:
Actually, what are those weapons that look like staves with extra weight at the end?
There is a couple of examples of such Cinematic Weapons in LTC2: Double-Ended Sword and Double-Headed Sword. Nothing stops you to make Two-Headed Mace from those entries. They are unrealistic, of course.
Though, MA has even weirder examples under "Silly Weapons" entry.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Fwibos

Quote:
Actually, what are those weapons that look like staves with extra weight at the end? I can't even find a name for them in Martial Arts. They're a not-uncommon fantasy weapon, typically used by very strong characters. They are used in a fashion very similar to a staff, but they have striking heads at each end, varying from mace-size to something that looks like a couple of huge clubs joined at the handles depending on your wackiness level.

It seems sufficiently plausible to make an appearance in a cinematic or fantasy game, anyway. Do they even have a name? What would they use -- Staff, Two-handed Axe/Mace? Would they get the defense bonus? They have the haft, after all.
Knobbed Club. It's in Martial Arts. IDHMBWM
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
William

The examples of knobbed club are all one-handed.

Walrus, may I ask what change LTC2 associates to the construction "take this weapon and make it double-ended"?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #15
B9anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheomesh View Post
I must apologize; I meant to post that we wanted to use it with the Two-Handed Axe/Mace skill.

Basically, he wishes to use it as a long club. Swinging it hard and fast, like a two-handed axe or maul that has lost its head.

Perhaps we should look to another weapon for the pure wood clubbing bit - something like a tetsubo that can still be used like a walking aid. As an academic exercise, the question stands.

M.
If it's a quarterstaff you want to use with the specific skill two-handed axe/mace, just make it a perk.

I'd be using the stats for swing attacks (no thrust) from the quarterstaff listing under two-handed sword then adding U to the weapon stats for it for such a crude wielding of an elegant weapon though, to keep it in line with other axes and maces.

Depending on how much you honor the rule of cool, add +1 to damage to reflect how mightily hard you club things to the extent that an otherwise balanced weapon becomes unbalanced like any other mace.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #16
Anders

Big heavy unbalanced weapon made of wood? Look at this. Then use the statistics for a maul.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
aesir23

Really Two-Handed Axe/Mace should default from Two-Handed Sword, and in my house rules it does. So you should be able to use a Quarterstaff with that default.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Big heavy unbalanced weapon made of wood? Look at this. Then use the statistics for a maul.
In a more realistical world it would probably be an oar.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Cheomesh

Hey, I forgot about this thread - busy busy :/

I meant to also ask about items like these:

http://www.weeklywarfare.net/wp-cont...aff_Page_1.jpg

Particularly ones lengthened to "walking stick" proportions. I think these would then qualify.

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #20
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheomesh View Post
I must apologize; I meant to post that we wanted to use it with the Two-Handed Axe/Mace skill.
I'd let it default at -3 or -4. I've seen SCA polearms used much like quarterstaves, but then again they're typically much lighter and shorter than the real thing (and the SCA bans pike mauls). Realistically, however, halberds used for foot jousts were sometimes used in a "quarterstaff-like" fashion to sweep and trip, although GURPS calls that Polearm skill.

The big deal is that if you try to use a two-handed axe/mace like a much more balanced and lighter weapon you're very limited in the sort of attacks you can make. Maybe not so much for defenses, since you're still using a stick to deflect attacks aimed at your body.

If you just turn the weapon around and strike with the shaft while holding the poll close to your body, you can strike more effectively using quarterstaff skill, but you're still limited by the hunk of metal on the end. Since the hunk of metal might limit your ability to swing the stick part of the weapon quickly, perhaps reduce damage a bit too.

As for using an Axe/Mace as a quarterstaff, it would default at -5. Such weapons are typically a bit shorter than swords, so inverting the weapon and using it two-handed would basically give you the striking force of a short baton, but with lots of mass where it does the least amount of good.

Opening an entire container of annelids, IMO it's not unrealistic for any melee weapon to default to any other melee weapon at -5 or better. With a few exceptions, the mechanics of moving your body around in melee combat are pretty much the same for most weapons. I've seen skilled martial artists pick up a weapon they've never used before and do a credible job with it.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote