Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Morzan
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default A bunch of questions

Hi, I am new here, so I hope it's ok to put more than 1 question into 1 post (from the looks of this forum, it almost look like i can't but whatever). Some of those may have been answered many times before but I didn't found the answers so I am sorry if my search skills wasn't good enough.

1) Treasure cards with no price can't be "carried" with exception of "Really Impressive Title" and "Hireling" (and all the other cards I don't own yet). I can't for example carry "Your Shoes United" or "Hag of Bolding". Right?

2) Can "Itching Powder" target "Fire Arms"?

3) If you get "Curse! Change Sex" and you are Ranger, will the -5 penalty go away if you just tame the next monster you'll meet? (I ask because Ranger's card says "instead of fighting the monster"). The same goes for Out on Lunch/Dead/Friendly.

4) Can you tame an Undead Monster if you have Necrophobia (or use Dead/Friendly/Out on Lunch)?

5) Can you stop using item that is being worn over something?

6) Say you have some Curse and GUAL cards in your hand, you meet some nasty monster, try to run away and Bad Stuff says that you should die. Can you play those GUALs and more importantly can you curse that thief that backstabed you and forced you to run away? (I know I can play those cards before I decide to run away but cursing someone with your last breath is more fun).

7) How many Treasure cards will I get if I use for example Polymorph Potion or Wizards ability on a monster that has been enhanced? And what about using a Lamp after I failed to run away?

8) "Raincoat" - does it protect you from all One-shots or simply form those with "Potion" in name?

9) Does Steed's bonus to Run Away override only the elf's one or does it "work" also on items like "Tuba of Charm"?
Morzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Felix Trapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default Re: A bunch of questions

Hello Morzan, I am no veteran of the rules but we tend to get along quite well at our game nights. I will answer the ones I can.

Quote:
1) Treasure cards with no price can't be "carried" with exception of "Really Impressive Title" and "Hireling" (and all the other cards I don't own yet). I can't for example carry "Your Shoes United" or "Hag of Bolding". Right?
Correct, they cannot be carried. They are one-shot items. They are either in your hand, or you play them and discard them.

Quote:
2) Can "Itching Powder" target "Fire Arms"?
No, itching powder can only target items that say "Armor" in the corner of the card. Even if you were to argue that Itching Powder applies to any "armoresque" gear, Fire Arms certainly isn't that.

Quote:
6) Say you have some Curse and GUAL cards in your hand, you meet some nasty monster, try to run away and Bad Stuff says that you should die. Can you play those GUALs and more importantly can you curse that thief that backstabed you and forced you to run away? (I know I can play those cards before I decide to run away but cursing someone with your last breath is more fun).
Once you decide to run, and lose, and can't prevent the bad stuff (i.e. invisibility potion or something) then the bad stuff happens immediately. You would not be able to start spamming cards before dying.


Quote:
8) "Raincoat" - does it protect you from all One-shots or simply form those with "Potion" in name?
Only potions. Both items with potion in the name, and items that are obviously potions (and look like potions in the graphic) but may fail to say "potion". It must be concluded beyond reasonable doubt that it is in fact a potion.

Quote:
9) Does Steed's bonus to Run Away override only the elf's one or does it "work" also on items like "Tuba of Charm"?
edit: No, Steed bonus does not stack with other runaway bonus, it replaces the current bonus of the rider.

Last edited by Felix Trapper; 10-19-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Felix Trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
NeosMagus
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kempton Park, South Africa
Default Re: A bunch of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Trapper View Post
All run away bonuses stack. If you have an Elf with a Tuba of Charm, you are now +4 to run away, meaning that unless there is some additional curse or -1 to roll somewhere, you always run away. You could potentially have +7 or +8 to run away which would just mean you have a larger cushion should anyone try to hinder it.
Steeds don't stack with any other run away bonuses. The rules specifically say they replace the bonus of the rider.
NeosMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Felix Trapper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Default Re: A bunch of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeosMagus View Post
Steeds don't stack with any other run away bonuses. The rules specifically say they replace the bonus of the rider.
Oops, my bad.. I just glossed over that question and thought it was asking in general about run away bonus stacking. I'll edit my post so it doesn't confuse any future readers.
Felix Trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: A bunch of questions

I'll give the other questions a go too (and confirm the other thoughts of Felix)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morzan View Post
1) Treasure cards with no price can't be "carried" with exception of "Really Impressive Title" and "Hireling" (and all the other cards I don't own yet). I can't for example carry "Your Shoes United" or "Hag of Bolding". Right?
Yes, non-Item Treasures can't be carried. Note that you aren't carrying Really Impressive Title and Hireling either. You have them in play, but only the Items are considered carried.

Quote:
2) Can "Itching Powder" target "Fire Arms"?
I'm agreed with Felix that the answer is no, but Felix neglected to mention that clothing is also acceptable for Itching Powder. Things like the Kneepads of Allure, while not Armor, are definitely clothing and can be targeted by Itching Powder.

Quote:
3) If you get "Curse! Change Sex" and you are Ranger, will the -5 penalty go away if you just tame the next monster you'll meet? (I ask because Ranger's card says "instead of fighting the monster"). The same goes for Out on Lunch/Dead/Friendly.
Yes. The condition applies to your next fight. It does not matter how that fight ends, it just matters that you were present in one, however briefly.

Quote:
4) Can you tame an Undead Monster if you have Necrophobia (or use Dead/Friendly/Out on Lunch)?
No. You must Run Away even if you could defeat the monster. You can't do anything to remove it from the combat before that happens.

Quote:
5) Can you stop using item that is being worn over something?
Yes, unless the cards say otherwise.

Quote:
6) Say you have some Curse and GUAL cards in your hand, you meet some nasty monster, try to run away and Bad Stuff says that you should die. Can you play those GUALs and more importantly can you curse that thief that backstabed you and forced you to run away? (I know I can play those cards before I decide to run away but cursing someone with your last breath is more fun).
If you think you are going to die (you have a 2/3 chance of suffering Bad Stuff if your roll is unmodified), then you should play those cards before rolling. There is a valid time to play cards before every Run Away attempt you make, but there is no valid time to play cards between rolling the die and suffering the Bad Stuff. The only cards you could play are ones that say they are played after a die roll or after attempting to Run Away and so on.

Quote:
7) How many Treasure cards will I get if I use for example Polymorph Potion or Wizards ability on a monster that has been enhanced? And what about using a Lamp after I failed to run away?
You will get the number of Treasures the monster was worth, so you will get extra Treasures from Monster Enhancers and so on. Magic Lamp will give you the Treasure even if used while Running Away, but only if that is the only monster in the combat. If there are two or more monsters with this card, you don't get the Treasure, even if you use it during combat.

Quote:
8) "Raincoat" - does it protect you from all One-shots or simply form those with "Potion" in name?
I'm agreed with Felix on this one and point out the FAQ entry on this:
[QUOTE=FAQ]Q. Are cards like Yuppie Water, that don't say "Potion" on them but LOOK like Potions, considered potions for rules purposes?
A. Yes. If it's a liquid in a container, it can be considered a potion. (But note that other types of one-shot Items, such as Grenades and Ichors, must include that specific word! Potions are special. Also note that Ichors aren't Potions and Potions aren't Ichors.)[/FAQ]

Quote:
9) Does Steed's bonus to Run Away override only the elf's one or does it "work" also on items like "Tuba of Charm"?
Andrew ruled here that all bonuses are replaced, even if they should theoretically work while riding your Steed, such as the Tuba of Charm and Bag of Caltrops.
__________________
My unofficial, but comprehensive Flowcharts: Munchkin: A4 Letter; Munchkin Quest: A4 Letter
Rules Checklist for all Munchkin sets: A4 Letter.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.