Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #21
Danukian

Default Re: Statting Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
so that at least 3 Degrees of Separation between Bruce and Jackie... Though I would not be surprized if you could not get closer though Jackie's earlier works

Edit, 1 Degree they're both in Qi lin zhang (Bruce Lee and I) (1973)
Jackie was also an unaccredited stunt-fighter/extra in a few Bruce Lee movies when he was young. In a martial art documentary I saw nearly 30yrs ago and can't remember the title, Jackie and Samo both credit Bruce with stating Jackie's career: Bruce Lee overshot move and blew the choreography, putting Jackie Chan in the ER for a few days, and really upset Bruce. When Mr. Lee came to visit Chan in the hospital to apologize, Jackie refused to accept any money and was insistent that Bruce have no guilt: the job of a stunt fighter is to take the hits and make the star look good, and it would be unprofessional of Jackie to do anything other than recover promptly and return to work. Brice Lee told all of the producers and stunt experts Jackie was an impressive stunt fight with an amazing work ethic, and his name went to the top of all their lists. Samo Hung is positive Jackie could have gotten a nice sports car out of Bruce instead of a career if he wanted it... ;)
Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
Danukian

Quote:
Though I think they both would kick Norris's ass ;)
Well, Chuck Norris is 72, quite a bit older than both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
In fact, I think they would probably be great PCs in a game together, pretty balanced. Li has higher combat skills, good looks, and better acting chops and Chan has slightly higher physical stats generally, some combination of Luck and durability, and amazing mobility. They'd fill slightly different niches in a cinematic martial arts campaign.
I know quite a few ladies (my wife especially) who think Jackie has a higher Appearance than Jet. Plus, Jackie has oodles of Charisma. But yeah, very different roles - The happy-go-lucky amazing athlete and the serious dedicated artist.

As far as who would win in an GURPS Battle Royale - Chan-Li-Norris: I am pretty sure under GURPS Rules, Norris and Li would surrender with broken fists after Jackie is still rolling around with 2/3rds of his bones broken! :)
Old 08-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #23
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post

As far as who would win in an GURPS Battle Royale - Chan-Li-Norris: I am pretty sure under GURPS Rules, Norris and Li would surrender with broken fists after Jackie is still rolling around with 2/3rds of his bones broken! :)
The parable of the bully and the crazy boy.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
Figleaf23
Banned

No-one has mentioned High Pain Threshold, but I think doing stunts injured implies it and I believe the Peking Opera trained it specifically through harsh treatment.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
No-one has mentioned High Pain Threshold, but I think doing stunts injured implies it and I believe the Peking Opera trained it specifically through harsh treatment.
I remember during the filming of one of his American films he injures his ankle/foot in such away it needed a cast. So they had wardrobe make the cast look like his costume's shoe and went back to filming
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
Kage2020

Quote:
I remember during the filming of one of his American films he injures his ankle/foot in such away it needed a cast. So they had wardrobe make the cast look like his costume's shoe and went back to filming
Rumble in the Bronx. There was a hovercraft involved, if I'm not mistaken too much.
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage2020 View Post
Rumble in the Bronx. There was a hovercraft involved, if I'm not mistaken too much.
Yea, if I recall the incident he fell off the hovercraft, and was then run over by it; being momentarily subjected to spinning blades mere inches over his head, and enough airforce pushing down to lift the hovercraft for several seconds before it finished running him over, and for that he suffered a broken ankle from the impact of the skirt.

High pain threshold probably is on there as well. Also I think combat reflexes, not because of his ability for actual combat, but for his ability to think quickly in hazardous situations to keep himself from getting more hurt.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #28
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
High pain threshold probably is on there as well. Also I think combat reflexes, not because of his ability for actual combat, but for his ability to think quickly in hazardous situations to keep himself from getting more hurt.
I definitely agree that Jackie's a candidate for High Pain Threshold (also high Will, or at least a few levels of Fearlessness).

I'm not so sure about Combat Reflexes. I might give it too him just because I can't imagine him freezing if he was surprised. I'm probably giving him too much benefit of the doubt. IIRC, Jackie Chan has been in exactly 1 fight in his life--and I certainly can't make assumptions based on his movie personas. High Basic Speed, certainly.

However, if we were to dip our toes into cinematic traits for a moment, if any real world person has Daredevil....
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #29
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I'm not so sure about Combat Reflexes. I might give it too him just because I can't imagine him freezing if he was surprised. I'm probably giving him too much benefit of the doubt. IIRC, Jackie Chan has been in exactly 1 fight in his life--and I certainly can't make assumptions based on his movie personas. High Basic Speed, certainly.
I am willing to give Combat Reflexes to anyone who has been in and handled physically dangerous and unpredictable situations fairly often. That includes fireman and high risk stuntmen. He has been in enough situations where I dont think he is likely to freeze in a real combat or dangerous situation.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #30
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I am willing to give Combat Reflexes to anyone who has been in and handled physically dangerous and unpredictable situations fairly often. That includes fireman and high risk stuntmen. He has been in enough situations where I dont think he is likely to freeze in a real combat or dangerous situation.
Fair enough. I can live with that.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote