Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
msloan

Default Point values of armor

It has been a long time since I have played, and I want to get back into Ogre and GEV. I note mention of the value of armor in these games, but I do not seem to have a points list for the equipment. Are most of the units simply worth one point, and a few such as the "supertanks" worth two? Or am I missing something?
msloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
GEVJockey

Default Re: Point values of armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msloan View Post
It has been a long time since I have played, and I want to get back into Ogre and GEV. I note mention of the value of armor in these games, but I do not seem to have a points list for the equipment. Are most of the units simply worth one point, and a few such as the "supertanks" worth two? Or am I missing something?
For a while, standard units had a value of 6, some were worth 3, some more. Henry Cobb's calculators were based on this. Looking at the beta copy of the 6e rules, it looks like we're going back to the simpler, unit based armor points. Units are typically worth 1 armor point. Light GEVs and Light Tanks are worth 1/2 armor points, SHVY (super heavy tank), HWZ (howitzer), and MHWZ (mobile howitzer) are worth 2 points, and Cruise Missile Crawlers are 3 points.

In a scenario, you will typically given an amount of armor units and can then select units until your budget is met.

A copy of the draft rules for 6e can be found in a link in Ogre Kickstarter update 22.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...1?ref=activity

Last edited by GEVJockey; 05-08-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added link to update 22
GEVJockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
terryocarroll

It's a bit confusing. When purchasing a force, you get X armour units worth of tanks, and X strength points of infantry. Some scenarios give you victory points for blowing up the enemy. Then, when calculating victory points for how many of the enemy you blow up, there is a table of victory points.

1 Armour unit = 6 victory points. That is, you score 6 vp for killing most armor units. Howitzer, Mobile Howitzer, Superheavy = 12. LGEV, light tank = 3 vp. 1 squad of infantry = 2 vp. Ogre components = various, listed in rulebook. And so on.
terryocarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
msloan

Good answers. Thank you both. Now if I can figure out the point values of the Ogres, I'll be all set!
msloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
GEVJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by msloan View Post
Good answers. Thank you both. Now if I can figure out the point values of the Ogres, I'll be all set!
See page 39 of the posted draft rules for 6e (link in post #2 above) for a table. It's currently missing a few (dopp, ninja, vulcan), but it has the others.

From other sources, Ninja = 25, Vulcan = 25 (or more as defined in scenario).

The Dopp was originally listed as the equivalent of 35 in the mini's rules. The Mk VI was later upgraded. I believe that the Mk VI was upgraded to 42 (250 victory points).

Last edited by GEVJockey; 05-09-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Add other Armor Point equivalent values
Old 05-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
ladue

I don't know the current values of the Mark VI and Dopp, but both were badly overvalued in there original form. Many of their points depended on the large number of internal missiles that could be relatively easily trapped by focusing your attacks on the missile racks.
ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
GEVJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladue View Post
I don't know the current values of the Mark VI and Dopp, but both were badly overvalued in there original form. Many of their points depended on the large number of internal missiles that could be relatively easily trapped by focusing your attacks on the missile racks.
That's why the Mk Vi was upgraded. It originally was listed as:
2 racks with 20 internal missiles and no external missiles.
changed to:
3 racks with 12 internal missiles and 6 external missiles.

Both Mk. VI and Dopp are listed as 250 VPs (42 Armor point equivalents) on the record sheets on the main site:
http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/resources/record/

Last edited by GEVJockey; 05-09-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Link to record sheets page
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
GEVJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I'm fairly sure that I did not see Battlefields until after publication, but I'm also well aware that I am not the only Henry Cobb. ISTR having some issues with the Battlefield rules once I did see them though.
I didn't mean to imply your involvement beyond your creation of the Ogre Design and GEV Formula Javascript Calculators which used VPs to report unit costs vs. armor points.

It's good to have you checking the rules!