Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
vierasmarius
 
vierasmarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You could probably abuse Rapid Fire and the close stationary targets rule for this.

But if you make the Trigger, "If the 'top' trap when someone steps here", then you can just stack as many uses as you like. It will take an Attack maneuver for each layer, but is that really a problem?
I do like the suggestion of Rapid Fire. It would certainly fit if the attack delivered a volley of timed explosives or proximity mines over an area. Not sure if the enhancement value should be altered in this case. Just using it as-is is probably simplest, and the cost seems fair at first glance.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Grunker
 
Grunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

The precise way it's supposed to work is like this:

Power places a trap on the ground. Trap lasts until discharged or a set amount of time. The person that activates the trap is affected by it (the most basic effect being Double Knockdown or Side Effect: Stun).

So no explosions, nothing like that. A fantasy magic trap placed on the ground.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
vierasmarius
 
vierasmarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
So no explosions, nothing like that. A fantasy magic trap placed on the ground.
Something to keep in mind is that, if it's not an Area Effect, the victim of the trap will have to contact it directly. I'd suggest giving it at least a 1-hex Area if someone can trigger it by walking over it. A larger Area (but limited to only hit one target) would be appropriate if the attack can "leap" to the victim, like a bolt of lightning or narrow wave of force. If it also requires a to-hit roll, add Bombardment. Modifying the Range and Accuracy of the Innate Attack itself will only affect how the trap is placed.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I do like the suggestion of Rapid Fire. It would certainly fit if the attack delivered a volley of timed explosives or proximity mines over an area. Not sure if the enhancement value should be altered in this case. Just using it as-is is probably simplest, and the cost seems fair at first glance.
It works fine as is, especially if you target a hex within 4 yards. If you want to avoid scattering, just give it Reduced Range.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Grunker
 
Grunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

I bought PU4 and it has nothing that helps me :(

Not a bad supplement but a bit disappointing perhaps.

I am at a loss. As far as I can see from your suggestions, nothing will let me create the desired effect without some work-arounds?
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
vierasmarius
 
vierasmarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
I bought PU4 and it has nothing that helps me :(

Not a bad supplement but a bit disappointing perhaps.

I am at a loss. As far as I can see from your suggestions, nothing will let me create the desired effect without some work-arounds?
Hrm, that is disappointing. If I were you, I'd just go with the Rapid Fire enhancement. As long as you keep it to modest levels (a max of ~7 "shots") it should be relatively balanced.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Grunker
 
Grunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Hrm, that is disappointing. If I were you, I'd just go with the Rapid Fire enhancement. As long as you keep it to modest levels (a max of ~7 "shots") it should be relatively balanced.
Well, as I said, the traps need to trigger once and then disappear :)

Maybe at higher levels they could stay. But for the basic, first level I need to make the ability to lay an effect filling one hex that triggers when someone moves into the hex to deliver the attack, and then disappears.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #18
vierasmarius
 
vierasmarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
Well, as I said, the traps need to trigger once and then disappear :)

Maybe at higher levels they could stay. But for the basic, first level I need to make the ability to lay an effect filling one hex that triggers when someone moves into the hex to deliver the attack, and then disappears.
I thought we provided an answer to that part of it? Delay (Trigger) +50% makes it a trap that goes of when someone gets close enough. There isn't an explicit 1-hex Area Effect enhancement, but extrapolating from the existing Area Effect levels gives a value of about +15%. Without further enhancement, by default the trap will trigger once and disappear. If the trap will also disappear if not triggered within a time limit, the value of Delay will go down a bit. This is probably just a Nuisance Effect if it lasts for hours, to maybe -10% or -20% if it lasts minutes or seconds.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 05-09-2012 at 08:19 PM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
I am at a loss. As far as I can see from your suggestions, nothing will let me create the desired effect without some work-arounds?
What's wrong with Crushing Innate Attack (Side Effect(whatever), Triggered Delay (Somebody steps on the "top" trap), RoF 3, Reduced Range 1/10, Increased Range (1/2D only) x2)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
There isn't an explicit 1-hex Area Effect enhancement, but extrapolating from the existing Area Effect levels gives a value of about +15%.
The minimum range in GURPS is C. I don't think you need area effect for a trap that goes off in a hex.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
vierasmarius
 
vierasmarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Oregon
Default Re: Making a static trap as a Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The minimum range in GURPS is C. I don't think you need area effect for a trap that goes off in a hex.
By my reading, that would require the victim to touch the trap itself - meaning they'd have to step directly on it, rather than just passing through the same hex. Basically, the "target" of the Delayed attack is the point at which it's placed, so without an area it only affects that one point. But stretching it to affect a single target in the same hex probably isn't a big deal.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
powers, witcher

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.