Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
kotya
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default magic-resistant enhancer

I fight a monster and have charmed him (as I am the Wizard). After that other opponent plays the Magic-Resistant enhancer to the monster and says that the monster is immune to the Charm and therefore I have not charmed him and must fight him. Is it legit?
kotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Ash Plissken
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sterling, VA
Default Re: magic-resistant enhancer

Nope. Once you have Charmed the monster, it is no longer a monster in the fight and cannot be enhanced. They would have to add another monster to the fight.

EDIT: And even if they could play the enhancer on the monster after you Charmed it, it wouldn't matter because you Charmed it before it became immune to Charming. As far as I know, there's no way to "break" a Charm that has already happened.

Last edited by Ash Plissken; 04-30-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Ash Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: magic-resistant enhancer

As Ash states, once you declare you are charming the monster, you must completely resolve the charm before any other cards can be played, so the monster is gone and can't be enhanced.

There's also no point to them playing it on a monster they wander in either as you'll find it very hard to gather another three cards to charm again during a combat.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
kotya
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default Re: magic-resistant enhancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Plissken View Post
And even if they could play the enhancer on the monster after you Charmed it, it wouldn't matter because you Charmed it before it became immune to Charming. As far as I know, there's no way to "break" a Charm that has already happened.
maybe it is right, but i have not find the official ruling for it and therefore ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
As Ash states, once you declare you are charming the monster, you must completely resolve the charm before any other cards can be played, so the monster is gone and can't be enhanced.
1. my opponents said, "when you say "i'm charming the monster", you must wait for 2.6 seconds (or any reasonable time) for us to speak up, as it is stated in the rules, and only if nobody refuses (everyone else say "ok, go on"), you can discard your hand and charm it". do i have to wait?
2. technically the monster had not gone. i did not have time to discard it, because they played the enhancer strictly after i discarded cards from my hand.

Last edited by kotya; 04-30-2012 at 04:45 PM.
kotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: magic-resistant enhancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotya View Post
maybe it is right, but i have not find the official ruling for it and therefore ask.



1. my opponents said, "when you say "i'm charming the monster", you must wait for 2.6 seconds (or any reasonable time) for us to speak up, as it is stated in the rules". do i have to wait?
2. technically the monster has not gone. i did not have time to discard it, because they played the enhancer strictly after i discard cards from my hand.
1. The only time you are required to provide the ample time for others to act is before declaring you have won a combat by beating the monsters' combat strength. You do not need to provide this time on any other action or play of any other card.

2. All actions and plays of cards in Munchkin must be fully completed before a new action can be started or a new card played. The exceptions are cards or actions that specifically state they interrupt or cancel another action (e.g., Loaded Die interrupting any dice roll you make). Thus, once you begin charming the monster, either by discarding your hand or announcing "I'm charming this monster", nobody else can play cards until you have discarded your hand and discarded the monster. I don't think there are any cards that can trigger on any of the events involved in charming a monster, so there's nothing that can be done.

Last edited by Clipper; 04-30-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Ash Plissken
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sterling, VA
Default Re: magic-resistant enhancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotya View Post
1. my opponents said, "when you say "i'm charming the monster", you must wait for 2.6 seconds (or any reasonable time) for us to speak up, as it is stated in the rules, and only if nobody refuses (everyone else say "ok, go on"), you can discard your hand and charm it". do i have to wait?
2. technically the monster had not gone. i did not have time to discard it, because they played the enhancer strictly after i discarded cards from my hand.
You did not have to wait. Once you declared your action and discarded the cards from your hand, the monster was Charmed. Since you did all of that before the enhancer was played, too bad for them. If your opponent wanted to prevent you from Charming the monster, they should have played the enhancer sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
1. The only time you are required to provide the ample time for others to act is before declaring you have won a combat by beating the monsters' combat strength. You do not need to provide this time on any other action or play of any other card.
As I was recently reminded, it also applies when you are about to "win" a combat by having removed all the monsters by other means. People still get a chance to Wander in a monster for you to beat.

Last edited by Ash Plissken; 04-30-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Ash Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
kotya
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Default Re: magic-resistant enhancer

sorry, guys, but neither me nor my friends won't treat your answers as official rulings until you provide the links to the official sources or until some official person confirms your point of view in this thread.
kotya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
Clipper
 
Clipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: magic-resistant enhancer

Here's a post where Andrew clearly states that the reasonable time rule only applies to winning combat.

It also nicely covers the interrupting point.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
MunchkinMan
Super Moderator
 
MunchkinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Macungie, PA
Default Re: magic-resistant enhancer

And, I'm here to say, in a very official way, that what your friend wasn't legal. The Monster was gone. You can't play some card, after the fact, that somehow changes the Monster once it has been removed from combat unless the card says exactly that.
__________________
Erik D. Zane
Munchkin NetRep -- munchkin@sjgames.com
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
thedag
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default Re: magic-resistant enhancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Thus, once you begin charming the monster, either by discarding your hand or announcing "I'm charming this monster", nobody else can play cards until you have discarded your hand and discarded the monster.
I think you will find that one needs to discard their hand for it to count. Simply announcing something does not lock you into doing it and if another card hits the table first then it takes first priority. the way to avoid this is to discard your hand as you announce it.
perhaps there has been some clarification since but there was a thread asking which action goes first.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...76&postcount=8
the post by Andrew explains the charming happens when the hand is discarded.
__________________
i need a good idea for my signature
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.