Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default [OOC] Weird Supers

This game is now closed.

Important update: LemmingLord has taken over running this game. The beginning of his tenure as GM is here.

Roster:

ErhnamDJ: Darya/Streaker

Lamech: Cee (the spaceship she's designing)

LemmingLord: Danilo/Fidelis

Skullcrusher: Nightwatch -- Error 404

Dropped players:

The General: Ameretat

zoncxs: Mythos/Golden Dragon

roguebfl: Rosie/Majokko

Accumulated Bonus Points

Description:

The basic idea: Play any character you want that can be built on 500 points. Then try not to let any of the other weird things in the universe do anything horrible to you.

A little more: With the last PbP game I tried to run, I ended up having to cancel it due to lack of time on my part. Now I'm at a place in my life where I have more time (out of school, have a job), and I want to try running one again.

However, I still don't like the fact that PbP is not really ideal for running combat. Solution: don't make a game built around the "fair fights" emphasized by recent editions of Dungeons and Dragons. Instead, let fights be terribly one-sided, and make part of the challenge figuring out how to end up on the right side of one-sided fights. Thus, fighting abilities will be useful, but so will stealth, information-gathering, social skills, and really any other ability you can think of. Also, I will play up the weird side of GURPS.

Full character creation guidelines 500 points. No disadvantage limit, though I'll strongly insist on proper role-playing of mental disadvantages, and generally look for ways to make sure your disadvantages disadvantage you. I may veto taking too many versions of a single disadvantage. Other than that, I'll do my best to allow anything that's technically legal within those restrictions, even things you'd normally need special GM permission for, unless you find a loophole to gain infinite character points or something of that nature.

I have a lot of GURPS books, so I'll probably be able to look up the rules for whatever you want to do. And buying one more book isn't a big deal.

The one thing I won't allow is the "Super, -10%" modifier, because there should be no generic superpowers within this world! Or at least insofar as they exist, they don't form a cohesive class that would be subject to the same versions of Neutralize, Static, etc. Feel free though to take mechanically-equivalent modifiers such as Psi or Mutant, or even something you make up so long as you can sell me on the fluff.

The world is "like the real world of 2012, with a lot of other things added." Superheroes have been public knowledge for over 50 years. Somehow those other things haven't thrown history too far off course, though. Baseline TL is 8, but buy that up or down however you please as long as you can come up with some kind of backstory justification for it. Go wild with the backstory. I'll be willing to twist the setting around to match it, and may even award bonus character points for a good one!

It's widely believed by the people of this world that people with special powers must keep secrets, and they're right! No one is immune to every form of attack an enemy might try, and a superhero who didn't keep their identity a secret would be putting friends and loved ones at risk. Secret, at least at the -5 to -10 level, is encouraged though not mandatory. It can represent any information that could be used against you but which is not otherwise on your character sheet (i.e. I'll assume by default you don't go around telling everyone about your Vulnerability, or the fact that your abilities are subject to mundane countermeasures, so keeping those secret will not give you points for a Secret). Zeroed might not be a bad idea, and even Paranoia could work in your favor, though I'd insist that players whose characters have Paranoia role-play the negative aspects the disadvantage.

The PCs will represent a group of powered individuals who can, at minimum, get in touch with each other when need be. Though if people want to start off with their characters as a full-time team, that's fine too. It's also up to individual players how much they info about their characters they want to share with other players. It can be full character sheet, partial character sheet with FNORD [X points], or the bare minimum that the other characters would know.

PM me or post here if you're interested.

Last edited by Michael Thayne; 05-22-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Skullcrusher

Default Re: [OOC] Weird Supers

Oh count me in.....

Thinking of a Super Soldier type....or Vigilantee martial artist and guns type....or a guy who found Alien tech.... not sure yet.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer

Last edited by Skullcrusher; 03-23-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
ErhnamDJ

I want in too. I have a few ideas I'm looking at.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
zoncxs

I am interested too. I can think of a few things.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Lamech

I'm certainly interested.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Skullcrusher

Ok I am definately do the archtypical Vigilantee...pain in the ass to the police...not sure what type...Super Soldier or Alien Tech or Wealthy guy who makes gadgets....

Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Skullcrusher

Believe I settled on a Vigilante with a Patron who has access to higher tech level equipment. the Patron is very secretive and my character only knows him by a name (a psuedo name) and gets help via cache of equipment left in disclosed areas for him. He also provides a secret base for him in the form of an sublevel room in an abandoned factory. Perhaps the patron owns that property and others to utilize as safe houses and equipment drop off points.

Let me know if this ok so I don't put toom much time into it.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
zoncxs

I'm thinking of a Telekinetic type, using Psionic powers book to make him.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
ErhnamDJ

I think I'll be going with a Speedster, if I can get the numbers to work.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Lamech

A psion, slightly modified from standard psionics in psionic powers in that the power modifier is replaced with cosmic. Is my current idea. The main power will be mighty affliction, are we the "good guys"? Cause that is about -20 points of disadvantages just right there.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weird supers