Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Dark_0n3

Default Gnome ability question

When gnome uses his ability to make an illusion of monster, can he and other players play monster enhancers on that monster?
What about "Dead" card?
Dark_0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Pleh

Default Re: Gnome ability question

Actually, I looked this up fairly recently because it came up in a game we were playing.

I don't remember where it was, but I do remember that there was a post in which Andrew stated that Gnome Illusions are ONLY illusions and must be treated as such, implying that they could not have monster enhancers or other cards that are played on monsters in combat.

Think about it this way. It's an ILLUSION. You can't make an ILLUSION dead....
Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Dark_0n3

Maybe you right. Just want to be sure. There is an "Illusion" card for example and when you use it you create Illusion of another monster (the one from your hand) and he is a regular monster so you can use all those enhancers on it.
Dark_0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_0n3 View Post
Maybe you right. Just want to be sure. There is an "Illusion" card for example and when you use it you create Illusion of another monster (the one from your hand) and he is a regular monster so you can use all those enhancers on it.
The way I comprehend the difference is as follows:

I believe the narrative intent of the Illusion card is that the original monster was the illusion. The card breaks the illusion as you discover what the real monster was the whole time. So while you were applying monster enhancers to the illusory monster, none of them meant anything as it was a fake monster and they were all discarded when the illusion was broken.

I'm not fully sure what the narrative intent of the Gnome's ability is, but it is clear from the text that the created monster is the Illusion in this case. You can't apply enhancers as you know this one to be illusory, but it also happens to have a real combat bonus.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

At one time, the Gnome's illusion could be enhanced. We found this. . . complicating, among other things, and, since we took away the -1 to Run Away and gave the Gnome a new benefit, the illusion needed to take a weakening tweak.

Also, the game is Munchkin. Munchkins don't give two hoots about narrative.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Pleh

Munchkins would give three hoots if caring about narrative gave them more treasures or levels. In fact, if caring about nuances, semantics, and narrative had no in game advantage, I could guarantee you this forum would not be anywhere near so fun or valuable.