Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
The Rampant Gamer

Default T:ISW - Weapon Bay Limitations

The rules, as I'm reading them, indicate that a small bay (50 spaces) displaces 8 turret hardpoints, while a large bay (100 spaces) displaces 10.

What is your reading on trying to put a bay on a ship that doesn't allow 8 or 10 turrets in the first place? Do you say that it can't be done, or do you go with the rule of cool/Mongoose Traveller way and say that any ship with the space can always mount at least one bay - even if it doesn't start with enough optional turrets to be displaced?

I ask because MgT has a really crazy heavy bomber design that's basically a flying 50 ton missile bay, and I'd like to try to replicate it for ISW if possible (though I think that one was only possible because of the MgT rules on bays taking up less tonnage at higher tech levels...)
The Rampant Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Apache
On Notice

Default Re: T:ISW - Weapon Bay Limitations

I would just stick with whatever ship design system you prefer and use that.

If you are going to use GISW ship design, alot of MongTrav ships are not going to convert over very well......
Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
The Rampant Gamer

Well, I really do like the ship building system in ISW better than I do Spaceships, if only for the level of detail and the ability to be flexible with ship sizes. But I'm going to have to bring a mess of weapons from G:S forward into 4th edition versions if I'm going to play Third Imperium style Traveller using the systems from ISW. So I guess I'll just tinker with things until I find a happy medium.

On a similar "it doesn't say you *can't*..." train of thought - there doesn't appear to be any prohibition against thrusts greater than 6G in ISW. None of the ships have higher than 6G, but the rules... they're vague.
The Rampant Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Apache
On Notice

In GTrav, it's possible to build spacecraft with a thrust of over 6G...but usually not very economical.

In other rulesets (CT, MT, T4, MongTrav), they usually cap max thrust at 6G.

Tags
bays, gurps, hardpoints, interstellar wars, isw, turrets