Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
Clipper

Default Re: Stealing a Reloaded Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Unfortunately, the official answer is that I'm torn. I know I'd say that it can't be used to prevent the theft, since it's the target of the theft, but there's a part of me that believes that SJ would think it funny in just this one instance for the Reloaded Die to be used in this way. To the Brain Trust!

(I will note, however, that a Reloaded Die is not the final say on the die roll's outcome unless it's the last Reloaded Die played. A Reloaded Die can be trumped by a Loaded Die or another Reloaded Die, meaning that playing the card does not necessarily determine the final outcome of the roll, and what happens if someone else sympathizes with the Thief, or the Thief happens to have a Loaded Die? Do they get the now-used Reloaded Die, or does the card go into the discard pile and the Thief gets to not lose a Level and the knowledge of a job well half-done?)
Sorry for bringing up the old information, I'll keep that in mind in future. Oh, and the thread you bumped wasn't the one I found the misinformation in, but several others, unfortunately.

On your new quandary, surely the thief can't steal a used item that is usable once only and then be able to use it again.

However, just to be Munchkinly, has it ever been ruled that the Thief has to announce the item that will be stolen before the theft attempt? The Thief card does not indicate that s/he needs to do this, so it would seem that you should be able to roll without a target item or choose your target item after the roll. Using this interpretation, if a Reloaded Die was chained by another Reloaded Die or Loaded Die to make the theft successful again, the thief would be able to pick any of the remaining small items owned by another player...
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:40 AM   #12
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
However, just to be Munchkinly, has it ever been ruled that the Thief has to announce the item that will be stolen before the theft attempt? The Thief card does not indicate that s/he needs to do this, so it would seem that you should be able to roll without a target item or choose your target item after the roll. Using this interpretation, if a Reloaded Die was chained by another Reloaded Die or Loaded Die to make the theft successful again, the thief would be able to pick any of the remaining small items owned by another player...
The Thief must pick first, and that is implicit in the wording of the Thief card. The Thief must discard a card in order to attempt to steal a small Item, therefore the discard must happen first and the Thief must pick the Item before rolling.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

A Reloaded Die may be used to change an opponent's die roll, unless the reason given for the die roll precludes it. Therefore, the Reloaded Die could turn an opposing Thief's successful theft attempt (even of the Reloaded Die) into a failure, costing the Thief a level and costing you the Reloaded Die you have just expended.

But better than letting him have it, right?

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Ozzmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
A Reloaded Die may be used to change an opponent's die roll, unless the reason given for the die roll precludes it. Therefore, the Reloaded Die could turn an opposing Thief's successful theft attempt (even of the Reloaded Die) into a failure, costing the Thief a level and costing you the Reloaded Die you have just expended.

But better than letting him have it, right?
So very very true.
Ozzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
thedag

Thanks for the ruling. I don't really like it personally so may have to go into house rule territory.
thedag is offline   Reply With Quote