Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Jerander
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Default Re: Spellfire Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well if your going with the regeneration (ER) links or the triggered recharge then you just need the defense. I would go with Immunity to magic to handle the non damaging stuff. Possibly with a defense roll or something if he has to actively use it.
I was under the impression that Resistant (and Immunity) did not work with magic due to the existence of a separate Magic Resistance advantage. But now I can't find a reference...
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Bruno
 
Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
Default Re: Spellfire Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
I was under the impression that Resistant (and Immunity) did not work with magic due to the existence of a separate Magic Resistance advantage. But now I can't find a reference...
As far as I know, you can buy Immunity to a Power Source. This, however, does not make you protected from magic. It just means you automatically resist any resistable effects. . . which in the case of the spells-as-skills system means you can still be buffed, you can still be fireballed, you can still be hit with AOE attacks like Create Fire and the various Rain of whatever spells, and anything based on the powers system that doesn't have a resistance roll is still entirely fair game.

Note that Magic Resistance is different from Resistant: Magic. Magic Resistance gives casters skill penalties and gives bonuses to Resist magic - this means it can foil irresistable direct effects, it can trash AOE castings, and it also protects you from potions... but it still doesn't save you from Missile spells and other not-directly-applied damage.
__________________
All about Size Modifier; Grand Unified Hit Location Table
A Wiki for my F2F Group
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Default Re: Spellfire Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
I was under the impression that Resistant (and Immunity) did not work with magic due to the existence of a separate Magic Resistance advantage. But now I can't find a reference...
I am pretty sure Kromm posted an example, though not finding it in my search.
Too many pages come up with "Immunity to Magic" but I will probably look more later.
Note that immunity would only help against regular type spells for the most part. Specifically it wont help against direct damage, for that you still need the DR.
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
Praxian
 
Praxian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Default Re: Spellfire Translation

I'm wanting to steer away from the Magic Resistance as well, it was never any harder in the books for a person to have a spell put on them or cast at them, they just absorbed it was all if they were ready for it.

It's not harder to cast magic on someone with Spellfire, they are simply just more able to ignore spells and effect as they are capable of absorbing the spells energies.

Which reminds me, I need to put some kind of limitation on the DR that says single-target spells only (aka spells that target the person). So explosive fireball and the like won't get absorbed, unless the person was the aiming point.

Or was Shandril able to absorb the magical energies from an AoE? Been a while since I read the book and I can't find it anymore. = \


Anyways, I'm wandering. Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it!
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
Praxian
 
Praxian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Default Re: Spellfire Translation

Looking @ Leech, here's what I came up with for that as it pertains to draining the magical effects from them and items:

Leech: (-25% / -55%)
Accelerated Healing +25%
Only heals ER -20%
Magic Only -20%
Origin: Magic -10%

Contact Agent -30%

Unsure about Contact Agent, but it sounds good from what I read of Leech on p. 96 in Powers - opinions?

From post 1, powers redesign here:

DR:
Absorption +80% (b/c it's only able to heal ER), Limited: Magic Only -20%, Magical, -10%

Energy Reserve (Magical):
Abilities Only -10%, Special Recharge -70%

================================================== =

So that would be the basics for that.

For any of the powers, it would be "Costs FP" (with -5% per +1 Fatigue) and "ER Only" (also -5%). Add the Origin: Magical (-10%) and you'd more or less have the basics for the burning attack, healing, and flight powers.

For the burning attack it would be appropriate to add the +300% cosmic modifier of "Ignores DR".

One of the things I've always wondered, would it be approriate to change it from "Cosmic: Ignores DR" to "Magical: Ignores DR"?

In this case, Spellfire and all associated abilities do not work in a no magic zone. However with a burning attack that has a cosmic modifier from my understanding of the rules it would work in a no magic zone.

Now that my brain is rested, and my thoughts are somewhat coherent, thoughts? :)

Last edited by Praxian; 12-23-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #16
Jerander
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Default Re: Spellfire Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
Looking @ Leech, here's what I came up with for that as it pertains to draining the magical effects from them and items:

Leech: (-25% / -55%)
Accelerated Healing +25%
Only heals ER -20%
Magic Only -20%
Origin: Magic -10%

Contact Agent -30%

Unsure about Contact Agent, but it sounds good from what I read of Leech on p. 96 in Powers - opinions?
I wonder about Contact Agent as well. Against living things, Contact Agent necessitates skin contact. Do unliving things have skin? Do they normally have protective coverings of some sort? Maybe Contact Agent with an unliving target necessitates direct contact, while not having Contact Agent means you can drain the item through a pouch, or back pack, or other item in which it is carried?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
For the burning attack it would be appropriate to add the +300% cosmic modifier of "Ignores DR".

One of the things I've always wondered, would it be approriate to change it from "Cosmic: Ignores DR" to "Magical: Ignores DR"?

In this case, Spellfire and all associated abilities do not work in a no magic zone. However with a burning attack that has a cosmic modifier from my understanding of the rules it would work in a no magic zone.

Now that my brain is rested, and my thoughts are somewhat coherent, thoughts? :)
A Cosmic Power Modifier (what I believe you're refering to as "Origin") is different than a Cosmic enhancement. Cosmic, Irresistible Attack does not automatically give an ability the Cosmic Power Modifier. EDIT: So, no, your burning attack would not work in a no mana zone unless you apply another Cosmic enhancement to it (or just removed the "Mana-Sensitive, -5%" portion of the Magical PM).

So Cosmic, Irresistible Attack does not change to Magical, Irresistible Attack. You list the two separately: "Cosmic, Irresistible Attack, +300%" and "Magical, -10%".

Last edited by Jerander; 12-23-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #17
Gold & Appel Inc
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: One Mile Up
Default Re: Spellfire Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
Which reminds me, I need to put some kind of limitation on the DR that says single-target spells only (aka spells that target the person). So explosive fireball and the like won't get absorbed, unless the person was the aiming point.

Or was Shandril able to absorb the magical energies from an AoE? Been a while since I read the book and I can't find it anymore. = \
IDHTBWM, but IIRC there's a part near the end when she protects whossname from a blast of dragon fire by lying on top of him and absorbing it. It's pretty safe to assume that her powers move at the speed of plot and do whatever Ed felt like she needed at the moment from what I remember, though. Power Mod: Mary Sue -10% would not be inappropriate. ;]
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
Praxian
 
Praxian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Default Re: Spellfire Translation

Quote:

A)
I wonder about Contact Agent as well. Against living things, Contact Agent necessitates skin contact. Do unliving things have skin? Do they normally have protective coverings of some sort? Maybe Contact Agent with an unliving target necessitates direct contact, while not having Contact Agent means you can drain the item through a pouch, or back pack, or other item in which it is carried?

B)
A Cosmic Power Modifier (what I believe you're refering to as "Origin") is different than a Cosmic enhancement. Cosmic, Irresistible Attack does not automatically give an ability the Cosmic Power Modifier. EDIT: So, no, your burning attack would not work in a no mana zone unless you apply another Cosmic enhancement to it (or just removed the "Mana-Sensitive, -5%" portion of the Magical PM).

C)
IDHTBWM, but IIRC there's a part near the end when she protects whossname from a blast of dragon fire by lying on top of him and absorbing it. It's pretty safe to assume that her powers move at the speed of plot and do whatever Ed felt like she needed at the moment from what I remember, though. Power Mod: Mary Sue -10% would not be inappropriate. ;]
A)
Reason I wondered about contact agent is because of how it's worded. "Your attack must touch bare skin or porous clothing to have any effect at all." So while unliving things may not have "skin" per se, they do have equivalent things to be setup to be "touched" to be drained. That was my logic behind not being sure as to add CA or not.

B)
Good to know. I just wasn't sure about that as a whole which is why I was asking it.

C)
=D With that in mind, may not worry about aoe spells then. :) Just leave it as it is so that my brain doesn't crunch so hard on other things. =D
================================================== ======

I was double-checking "Absorption", and while the +80% is more appropriate than the 100% version, ER = FP for terms of figuring out this and that. Would using the "Accelerated Healing" from Leech be appropriate for Absorption as well as it pertains to using energy associated with using the Spellfire ya think?

As it stands right now, for every 3 points of damage absorbed, 1 point of ER would be healed. With the Accelerated healing, it would be a 1 to 1 basis.
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
Jerander
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Default Re: Spellfire Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
A)
Reason I wondered about contact agent is because of how it's worded. "Your attack must touch bare skin or porous clothing to have any effect at all." So while unliving things may not have "skin" per se, they do have equivalent things to be setup to be "touched" to be drained. That was my logic behind not being sure as to add CA or not.
Yeah, I'm not sure either. Hopefully someone else can help with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
C)
=D With that in mind, may not worry about aoe spells then. :) Just leave it as it is so that my brain doesn't crunch so hard on other things. =D
For Area Spells, if it's Resisted, then Immunity to Magic should protect the character. If it's damage-dealing, then DR should protect the character. Either way, Area Spells are covered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
I was double-checking "Absorption", and while the +80% is more appropriate than the 100% version, ER = FP for terms of figuring out this and that. Would using the "Accelerated Healing" from Leech be appropriate for Absorption as well as it pertains to using energy associated with using the Spellfire ya think?

As it stands right now, for every 3 points of damage absorbed, 1 point of ER would be healed. With the Accelerated healing, it would be a 1 to 1 basis.
Seems reasonable to me as it's equivalent values to Leech.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
translation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.