Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Nasst

Default Limitations with selectivity?

Hey there, we've come up with another problem in our supers campaign, so I'll turn to your wisdom. =P The fire-based character we were talking about in the other thread wants to have an aura (as per the aura enhancement). So we gaved him aura with the selectivity enhancement. But here's our problem: Aura forces you to have melee attack!

My question is, can you have "selectivity (aura, melee attack)"? If so, does melee attack still gives you the full -30% (after all, you can still make ranged attacks)? What about other limitations, say "selectivity (malediction, uncontrollable)"?

(We've thought about using alternative attacks, but he wants to have his aura active and make ranged attacks at the same time, and alternative attacks states "since the attacks represent a single ability, you cannot use them simultaneously")
Nasst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
aesir23

Default Re: Limitations with selectivity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasst View Post
(We've thought about using alternative attacks, but he wants to have his aura active and make ranged attacks at the same time, and alternative attacks states "since the attacks represent a single ability, you cannot use them simultaneously")
I think if he's doing ranged and Aura at the same time, selectivity isn't appropriate anyway. He needs to buy his aura as a seperate power.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Nasst

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I think if he's doing ranged and Aura at the same time, selectivity isn't appropriate anyway. He needs to buy his aura as a seperate power.
What would you say about malediction with uncontrollable? I've been thinking about using the "Limited Enhancements" rules.

For example:
He takes 10 levels in innate attack (burning), so 50 points base.

Then he takes Malediction (the 150% version) with the uncontrollable limitation (-30%)

The final cost of malediction is 105% (150 * 0,7)

then simply take selectivity (malediction) +10%.

The final cost would be 50 + (1,15 * 50) = 108

Any thoughts?
Old 11-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
PK

Quote:
My question is, can you have "selectivity (aura, melee attack)"
No, but you can have Selectivity to go between Aura and the Melee-Capable enhancement.

Oh, wait. You guys don't know about that one yet. Never mind.

Quote:
You can't do both -- even if you come up with a convoluted way to make the modifiers work, you can't use a single Innate Attack as both an aura and ranged attack simultaneously. It's only one attack; you need two different ones here. (And as you noted, they can't be Alternative Attacks. You need two separate, full-cost abilities.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
Rendu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
No, but you can have Selectivity to go between Aura and the Melee-Capable enhancement.

Oh, wait. You guys don't know about that one yet. Never mind.
(emphasis added)

That was just evil.
Rendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
(And as you noted, they can't be Alternative Attacks. You need two separate, full-cost abilities.)
I'd add only one thing. If the ranged attack may be used only while the aura is active, it's about -10% accessibility on it. It's sometimes inconvenient to shine and set surroundings on fire while shooting, so it's worth discount.
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
aesir23

Quote:
What would you say about malediction with uncontrollable? I've been thinking about using the "Limited Enhancements" rules.

For example:
He takes 10 levels in innate attack (burning), so 50 points base.

Then he takes Malediction (the 150% version) with the uncontrollable limitation (-30%)

The final cost of malediction is 105% (150 * 0,7)

then simply take selectivity (malediction) +10%.

The final cost would be 50 + (1,15 * 50) = 108

Any thoughts?
I don't see any problems with this on the face of it. What is it you're hoping the ability will do?
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Nasst

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I don't see any problems with this on the face of it. What is it you're hoping the ability will do?
He can shot a fire beam, but also set people on fire with his mind... The later one happens even if he doesn't wants to when he is angry.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
B9anders

Quote:
Hey there, we've come up with another problem in our supers campaign, so I'll turn to your wisdom. =P The fire-based character we were talking about in the other thread wants to have an aura (as per the aura enhancement). So we gaved him aura with the selectivity enhancement. But here's our problem: Aura forces you to have melee attack!

My question is, can you have "selectivity (aura, melee attack)"? If so, does melee attack still gives you the full -30% (after all, you can still make ranged attacks)? What about other limitations, say "selectivity (malediction, uncontrollable)"?

If you want to have both active at the same time you have to buy them as completely separate attacks.

If you want to be able to turn your aura into a ranged attack, I don't see anything wrong or unbalanced with rolling Melee Attack into Aura and calling it a 50% enhancement.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote