Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #11
trans

Default Re: Sex Appeal & other oddities

Seems to me that sexual orientation is a kind of continuum. Some are hetero, some are bi, some are homo, and everything in between. I also know several people who have drifted back and forth between all of these.

So I could see a truly heroic level of Sex Appeal working on at least some of the people who would normally not be interested.
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans View Post
Seems to me that sexual orientation is a kind of continuum. Some are hetero, some are bi, some are homo, and everything in between. I also know several people who have drifted back and forth between all of these.

So I could see a truly heroic level of Sex Appeal working on at least some of the people who would normally not be interested.
When you get into such complex preferences you open up the can of worms from fetishes and less overt interests.
Hetero but absolutely no interest in some age bracket, height, weight, etc.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:55 AM   #13
Ts_

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
How does Sex Appeal work against someone who isn't attracted to your sex?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Short answer: It doesn't.
Does this mean that I cannot use Sex Appeal with Animal Empathy after all, unless the sheep is already into humans? That might explain why the sheep gave me that stern look after what I thought was a really successful influence roll ...

Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:01 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
When you get into such complex preferences you open up the can of worms from fetishes and less overt interests.
Hetero but absolutely no interest in some age bracket, height, weight, etc.
Perk:Classic Looks (category) and Quirk:Likes (category) usually add some of that aspect to GURPS.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts_ View Post
Does this mean that I cannot use Sex Appeal with Animal Empathy after all, unless the sheep is already into humans? That might explain why the sheep gave me that stern look after what I thought was a really successful influence roll ...
I realize this was a joke, but the serious answer is that using Sex Appeal on animals is a matter of tricking the animal into thinking that there are conditions under which it can mate. It doesn't have to be attracted to you. Your goal is to trick it into thinking that if it does <X>, it will encounter willing sheep of the opposite sex.

Also, it's worth noting (and Social Engineering goes to great pains to point out) that Sex Appeal is not "the skill of getting laid." You can use Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Intimidation, etc., to get laid. Sex Appeal is "the skill of using sexual innuendo, promises, and flirtation to obtain what you want."

So when used on animals, Sex Appeal + Animal Empathy lets you set up a situation where the animal is likely to go along with your instructions because it thinks doing so will put it in a situation where it will be able to mate. There's nothing perverted or wrong about the actions involved. The whole thing is not that different from human Sex Appeal, which can be used to get you all sorts of non-sexual things (admittance to a restricted area, a better price when haggling, etc.) by making the target think there might be mating chances because of it.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:48 AM   #16
Flyndaran
Untagged

I've seen such "futile" uses of sex appeal when young twits make men fall over themselves giving things away even though it's obvious that there is no way in hades that actual sex will occur.

Though an odd situation may appear such as a hetero that doesn't want sex... with anyone for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #17
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I've seen such "futile" uses of sex appeal when young twits make men fall over themselves giving things away even though it's obvious that there is no way in hades that actual sex will occur.

Though an odd situation may appear such as a hetero that doesn't want sex... with anyone for the foreseeable future.
No - as the Rev just explained ^ - Sex Appeal isn't the skill of talking someone into having sex with with you, use fast-talk, diplomacy, etc. The woman was using Sex Appeal successfully to get stuff from the twits she had no intention of sleeping with.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #18
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
With Attribute Substitution, you can move Sex Appeal to IQ. Can you move it to other ones, such as Will? ST?

Related to the last one, can you move any skill to ST? In a cinematic campaign, can you move any skill to any attribute? (I wield this axe with my mind! I'm healthy enough to get math!)
Attribute substitution on Power Ups 2 pg. 15 says: "The GM decides what to allow, and the change should make sense."

It then gives guidelines. Quite detailed. In those guidelines, none of the skills substitute over to ST. It doesn't recommend Sex Appeal substituting to things other than IQ. But again it depends on what the GM decides to a allow and what the GM thinks would make sense.

Also, I want to point out that while I'd generally not let you wield an ax with your mind (unless we are talking about the use of telekinesis), I can see numerous moments where I'd have you float the skill over to IQ...to figure out something about where the axe comes from...to figure out something about an axe that is now missing but was used to kill that body over there...to figure out the best axe for this job over here, etc.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
No - as the Rev just explained ^ - Sex Appeal isn't the skill of talking someone into having sex with with you, use fast-talk, diplomacy, etc. The woman was using Sex Appeal successfully to get stuff from the twits she had no intention of sleeping with.
That's what I wrote. She used sex appeal to convince the men that she might sleep with them. If said man didn't care to, then she would fail miserably automatically.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
Bruno

Incidentally, I would totally allow a Telekinetic a suite of Attribute Substitution skills for DX based skills to be based on IQ "Only while using TK to do it" (no discount for the limitation, it's a perk!).

And then when they fall into the trap of dumping ST and DX because they "don't need them", they get Neutralized at least once to make them regret the decision.

I'll even WARN them that this will happen. *beams innocently*
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote