Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Epic Kobold

Default Liquored Lizard inc [OOC]

Still looking for one more player!! A D&D 3.5 game that is moving well and doesn't take its self too seriously. You and the rest of the party run odd jobs for a short-tempered owner of the titular guild. You get to build the world as you play, also, silliness and good role playing are rewarded. Interested? Send me a message or post it here.
Here's the link for the IC thread.

House Rules

Rolling 20's: Of course rolling20's (or 1's for that matter) only applies to attack rolls. **** that. Any time you roll a nat 20 you succeed in the best possible way, that being said, sometimes the result is not spectacular. You listen at the door and hear just as much nothing as you would on a 19 or a 10, but when I can make it special, I will. The same applies to 1's.

Knowledge (critter): this is a throwback to my former group, the only thing this is good for is identifying the creature you now face. Just like real you doesn't need a biology degree to recognize an elephant when you see one, your character doesn't need special training for a mind flayer. If you'd rather use the traditional knowledge skill for the creature you face, this is of course an option. Knowledge (critter) is always a class skill. Five ranks in another appropriate knowledge skill will give you a +2 bonus to recognize the creature you're rolling on.

Wickid Cool points: (not a misspelling, it's to be read with a New England accent) WC points are not entirely different from action points.
In combat, turn a miss into a hit.
In combat, turn a hit into a crit.
Re-roll a failed skill roll
+4 to AC for one round
Reduce damage taken by number of points spent.
Improve initiative roll by number of points spent.
Gain one round of use of one feat you don't already have (you still must meet prerecs)
Instantly stabilize when dying
Gain one more daily use of a used up power/ability/feat/whatever
Extra attack this round
+2 caster level for one use of one spell
Warp reality! Spend your wickid cool points to make a situation more favorable to your character. The sky's the limit except 1) you may not contradict anything that's already been established and 2) the exact cost will be judged on a case-by-case basis.
Only one per round, folks. But, you can keep them until you use them.
How do you get them? Earn them. I like funny in my campaigns. Make it funny and good stuff will happen to you. Do something (in character) that makes me laugh, you earn a WC point. Do something funny enough that the game would stop while everyone laughs it out (were we sitting around a table) and you earn 2. Make me literally ROFL and you earn 10. Three votes from other players for a humorous act or a good RP moment will be awarded WC points as well (I reserve the right to veto). If I find that these points are being awarded too much or not enough with this particular system, it will be adjusted accordingly. From person to person if need be. Also appreciated is playing your character well, and creative use of skills. Be a good player and, again, good stuff will happen to you.

Alignment: I read an interview some years back wherein Gygax said that alignment was not intended to be taken as seriously as it is. Moreover, I've got a few philosophical issues with the thing. This gives me the following view on alignments; **** it. If you want to be a paladin you're committing yourself to a philosophical viewpoint. Beyond that, alignment is to be taken as a loose guideline. If you want to play a chaotic monk, just work it into your back story and I'm pleased. Detect evil, or magic circle against X still works as per the books. If you want to be chaotic evil, you still have to deal with societies laws and I'm putting my DM boot down and saying no arbitrarily killing party members, beyond that, anything goes. Alignments are more about modern civilization's view point, but those “evil” Goblins are often just trying to keep their young fed they only way they can.

The Campaign:

Stats: 38 point point buy. 4th level. 5400 Gold.

Online resources: You will be required to use an online character sheet. There are a lot of acceptable sites that provide them, but if you need guidance, I favor this one.
We will be rolling dice here.
Finally, this has nothing to do with the game at all, but it makes for good listening.

Source Books: You may build out of the Hypertext D20 SRD as well as the Arms and Equipment Guide, Book of Challenges, Book of Exalted Deeds, Book of Vile Darkness, Cityscape, Complete Adventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Champion, Complete Divine, Complete Mage, Complete Psionic, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Warrior, Defenders of the Faith, Deities and Demigods, Draconomicon, Dragon Magic, Drow of the Underdark, Dungeon Master's Guide, Dungeon Master's Guide 2, Dungeonscape, Elder Evils, Enemies & Allies, Epic Level Handbook, Fiend Folio, Feindish Codex 1, Feindish Codex 2, Frostburn, Ghostwalk, Hero Builder's Guidebook, Heroes of Battle, Heroes of Horror, Libris Mortis, Lords of Madness, Magic Item Compendium, Magic of Incarnum, Manual of the Planes, Masters of the Wild, Miniatures Handbook, Monster Manual, Monster Manual 2, Monster Manual 3, Monster Manual 4, Monster Manual 5, Oriental Adventures, Planar Handbook, Player's Handbook, Player's Handbook 2, Psionics Handbook, Races of Destiny, Races of Stone, Races of the Dragon, Races of the Wild, Rules Compendium, Sandstorm, Savage Species, Silver Marches, Song and Silence, Spell Compendium, Stormwrack, Stronghold Builders Guidebook, Stronghold Builders Enhancement, Sword and Fist, Tome and Blood, Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, Unearthed Arcana, Weapons of Legacy, An Adventurer's Guide to Eberron, City of Stormreach, Dragonmarked, Dragons of Eberron, Eberron Campaign Setting, Explorer's Handbook, Faiths of Eberron, Five Nations, Magic of Eberron, Player's Guide to Eberron, Secrets of Sarlona, Secrets of Xen'drik, Sharn: City of Towers, and the Forge of War.

The Setting: We are all building the world by RPing about it.
Example: Your character mentions an island of pygmy centaurs to the east, from that point on there's an island of pygmy centaurs to the east.
The only time that doesn't work is if A) it contradicts something previously established or B) the DM says "no" (sometimes I'll need things a certain way for a particular campaign to work)
As long as it doesn't give you or a party member a foreseeable advantage at the time of posting it, any such piece of the world you build doesn't cost any WC points.
["Traditionally, this kingdoms of this nation paint their castles green." : free]
["The land to the north was burned to the ground during the war between the Minotaur and the Drow some ten years ago.": free]
["Every planet has it's own weird customs. About a year before we met, I spent six weeks on a moon where the principle form of recreation was juggling geese.": free]
["Kobolds are worshiped in this nation and never have to pay for anything in shops.": Very, very expensive. ]

The Story: Plagueton is a small town wedged between the foot of the great mountains and the shimmering sea. The town, which started as a quarantine colony hundreds of years ago., consist mostly of merchants, inns, restaurants blacksmiths, tourist traps and taverns, because Plagueton lays on the rout between most of the A's and B's out there.

A tavern in the heart of Plagueton called the Liquored Lizard failed as a house for drink, but excelled as a location for adventurers to meet up and/or receive quests. The building was modified to serve as a company of adventurers-for-hire who receive regular pay to quest and run errands for the current owner of Liquored Lizard inc, a tough-as-nails Halfling named J. Jodo Jaredson.

Of course you are a part of that guild. A fact you are keenly aware of as you are summoned to J's office early one morning...

Last edited by Epic Kobold; 08-13-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: DM stuff
Epic Kobold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Epic Kobold

Default Re: Liquored Lizard inc [OOC]

What we have so far:

CrestHillGamer12632 as Kaulathol "paintfinder" Makonthaovmoa, the Goliath Barbarian
Harry O'Gane as Dungar Swiftanvil, the Dwarf Fighter
Zoncxs as Deadpool, the Human Ninja.
Barna10 as William Fosnight, the Human Factotum.

Last edited by Epic Kobold; 08-27-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
LadyEladrin

I'm in. Doing the killoren druid. The Killoren can be found in the Races of the Wild book if anyone wants to look it up. I'll be focusing on the Hunter aspect most often, stealth and precision.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Epic Kobold

Ah yes, subtly and stealth. A scalpel amongst sledge hammers. Let us hope that no baddies are armed with a spray bottle and no pit traps are baited with catnip.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
ladyarcana55

Could I play a Half Elf Bard? Even though bards got nerfed pretty badly in 3.0...
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
Epic Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
Could I play a Half Elf Bard? Even though bards got nerfed pretty badly in 3.0...
Classic! I like it.
Something I'm asking everyone: How often can we reasonably expect to see you post?

Last edited by Epic Kobold; 05-08-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
Classic! I like it.
Something I'm asking everyone: How often can we reasonably expect to see you post?
I'm up everyday. If I see a post I'll probably answer it.

Oh, how do we figure out HP?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
Epic Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post
Oh, how do we figure out HP?
Excellent question.

First level is full die of course, every level thereafter you can
A) take the average or
B) roll for it, but if you do roll you must keep whatever you get.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
Epic Kobold

Five would be nice, but with four players, this ship can float. I'd like to get this thing going on Wednesday, anyone have issue with that?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
Five would be nice, but with four players, this ship can float. I'd like to get this thing going on Wednesday, anyone have issue with that?
Not I. I think I have my sheet just about done but I'll need you to look at it and let me know if I'm missing anything.