Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #71
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
And you know this because you have been to every planet in the universe? What we 'know' about chemistry and physics is based solely on what we can observe on OUR planet and has no bearing on anything else in existence. Your argument is specious at best.
That position is quite simply a denial of the possibility of science. Every major scientific theory goes from one specific set of observations or experiments to a universal assertion that is applied to things that have not yet been observed. Making such leaps to generalization is the only reason we have scientific predictions that can then be tested against further observation.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #72
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I don't know what kind of cows (or pigs, sheep, goats, mares, or camels) they have where you live, but in the real world there is no 'milking season' and never has been. A lactating female mammal will not stop giving milk once a specific time of the year has passed since they will continue to lactate until you stop milking them or they die.
http://www.prairiefruits.com/content/1083 seems to disagree with you, at least about goats. I'm certainly not an expert on animal husbandry, but I seem to recall reading that medieval cattlemen didn't milk year round, perhaps because the shortage of fodder during the winter months made it hard to sustain a process as energy-intensive as lactation.

Bill SToddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #73
Anders
Banned
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

My favorite was a sourcebook which shall not be named, where dried carrots cost 3 times as much as silver and barley flour cost a hundred times as much as barley grain. I envision a world where carrot farmer and millers are the merchant princes, and rabbits are a scourge upon the land.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #74
Polydamas
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central Europe
Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Ah well. No one is forcing you to use that price list. But I will make a suggestion to you.

Import that price list into a spreadsheet. Then, do an item by item check of those items such that you have a column that lists the Harn World price for that item, and the GURPS analog price for that item. Care to make a wager? That there will be less GURPS prices for that list than there are Harn prices? Care to bet it would be at least 50% to 25% less? I don't know as I stopped counting a long LONG time ago and ditched the GURPS units of cost for anything except perhaps my THE ARCANUM based campaigns, and even then, I still used the Silver based system from C&S to a large extent...
While the GURPS economic model is useless except for answering "how much do I start the game with," "how much does $foo cost," and (at low TLs) "how much money do I need to pay for downtime," those are the most common question gamers ask.

Its also worth remembering that all those HARN listings like "Scones," "Salmon," "Wheat" are included in generic categories ("Bread," "Fish," "High-Quality Grain" or similar ... I don't have the LT Companions) in GURPS. Others are built from a generic entry with rules for adjusting it, like dogs, slaves, and horses; or lumped into abstractions like Cost of Living or a suit of clothing. That's not better or worse, just different.

One of the GURPS projects I'm considering is taking data from prices and wages in England c. 1300 and turning them into a TL 3 price and wage list with notes on how prices might look in other times and places. We have enough data of prices actually paid to do that.
__________________
"It is easier to banish a habit of thought than a piece of knowledge." H. Beam Piper
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #75
hal
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Buffalo, New York
Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
I don't know what kind of cows (or pigs, sheep, goats, mares, or camels) they have where you live, but in the real world there is no 'milking season' and never has been. A lactating female mammal will not stop giving milk once a specific time of the year has passed since they will continue to lactate until you stop milking them or they die.
They do tend to "dry up" a little relative to peak season from what I heard. Eventually, they produce less and less milk as they get older too, but that isn't anything I can point to saying " by that much..." (I get flashbacks of Maxwell doing his finger and thumb routine while saying that).
hal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #76
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
And you know this because you have been to every planet in the universe? What we 'know' about chemistry and physics is based solely on what we can observe on OUR planet and has no bearing on anything else in existence. Your argument is specious at best.
We are able to observe quite a bit about the rest of the universe, including quite a large number of stars. Spectrography is a fairly well established observation technology, and is almost certainly reliable (if it isn't then then the universe is really weird (like Matrix-weird). The basic model of stellar nucleosynthesis pretty much can't be wrong; if it was discovered in a an earlier more arrogant time we would be calling it a Law of Nature.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #77
nik1979
 
nik1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philippines, Makati
Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
They do tend to "dry up" a little relative to peak season from what I heard. Eventually, they produce less and less milk as they get older too, but that isn't anything I can point to saying " by that much..." (I get flashbacks of Maxwell doing his finger and thumb routine while saying that).
Id like to add:

The milking season coincide the birthing season and the progress of the calf,s maturity. Unless constantly stimulated, milk production dries up. There is a season for it because moving cows to various fields and getting particular bulls have to be timed for maximum output.
__________________
GMing Blog
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #78
nik1979
 
nik1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Philippines, Makati
Default Re: Looking for fantasy/medieval weapon & equipment lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
We are able to observe quite a bit about the rest of the universe, including quite a large number of stars. Spectrography is a fairly well established observation technology, and is almost certainly reliable (if it isn't then then the universe is really weird (like Matrix-weird). The basic model of stellar nucleosynthesis pretty much can't be wrong; if it was discovered in a an earlier more arrogant time we would be calling it a Law of Nature.
I think this video is highly appropriate and adequately explains.
__________________
GMing Blog
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
equipment, fanatsy, fantasy, lists, low-tech, medieval, weapons

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.