Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-03-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Gef

Default Explorer!

Got a player who wants to make an Indiana Jones type. The game is cinematic, and the character is so skill-heavy that this seems like a perfect application for a bang skill. What would you say Explorer! covers, and what would it not? I'm asking the list because my first blush seems to cover a lot more than any of the example bang skills, specifically:

Scientific skills like Archaeology, Geography, Cartography, Naturalist, Research, and maybe Architecture and Mining Engineer

Skills for getting around like Hiking, Climbing, Swimming, and Boating
Animal skills for Beasts of Burden

Search, Forced Entry, and maybe Traps and Demolition

Have I gone overboard?

PS: Kromm, thanks for all the great answers to my recent questions. You, personally, help set GURPS apart from other games and their closest approximations of system support.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Explorer!

I might split it into two wildcard skills that could float to several attributes:

Explorer! would cover Boating, Cartography, Hiking, Geography, Navigation, Packing, Riding, Seamanship, Survival, and Swimming. It's about getting there, and would suit would-be Magellans as much as would-be Indies.

Tomb Raider! would cover Archaeology, Architecture, Climbing, Connoisseur (Ancient Artifacts), Expert Skill (Egyptology), Filch, Forced Entry, Prospecting, Search, and Traps. It's about knowing enough about ancient cultures to find and steal their buried cultural treasures.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Adina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm

Explorer! would cover Boating, Cartography, Hiking, Geography, Navigation, Packing, Riding, Seamanship, Survival, and Swimming. It's about getting there, and would suit would-be Magellans as much as would-be Indies.

Tomb Raider! would cover Archaeology, Architecture, Climbing, Connoisseur (Ancient Artifacts), Expert Skill (Egyptology), Filch, Forced Entry, Prospecting, Search, and Traps. It's about knowing enough about ancient cultures to find and steal their buried cultural treasures.
Could these used as Talents instead of wildcard skills?

Explorer! in particular looks like a reasonable talent. It does overlap outdoorsman somewhat.[Not as much as I thought - just 2 skills; Navigation and Survival.] The distinction to me is that Explorer is about getting from point A to point B while Outdoorsman is about living in 'the wild'.

JeffM

Last edited by Adina; 08-03-2005 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Checked Outdoorsman Talent in Characters.
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
Gef

Thanks, Kromm.

Jeff, I like wildcard skills better than talents. These are things you learn, and having the talent doesn't mean you necessarily learn any of them. At starting level, my proto-Indie couldn't afford both the talents and the necessary skills.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Anything that can be a Talent could be a wildcard skill, and vice versa -- but as a rule, you don't have to be as balance-cautious with wildcard skills because they aren't intended for believable characters to begin with. Which way you choose to go is mostly up to the GM.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #6
Adina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef

Jeff, I like wildcard skills better than talents. These are things you learn, and having the talent doesn't mean you necessarily learn any of them. At starting level, my proto-Indie couldn't afford both the talents and the necessary skills.

GEF
And I prefer Talents to Wildcard skills for just that reason. My campaigns in the past have started at higher point totals (150 - 200 points in 3E) with larger-than-life but not fullblown cinematic characters. Personal preference, as Kromm says.

JeffM
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote