Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Desthro

Default Essence Control from 3rd In Nomine

I am cannibalizing a part of that system to introduce it into a separate world of my own, where "Essence" has a profound impact on the development of technologies at hand.

Essentially, Essence performs its necessary functions, being able to spend points of it to increase a non-damage roll that you make.

In addition, as a reasoning for the development of missile weapons and firearms, but NOT their widespread usage, points of essence a character is in the possession of will make the target harder to hit on a 1-for-1 basis. Total the EP for both combatants, that's the penalty to hit in addition to all other penalties. Missile weapons only suffer from the current EP the target has.

EP regenerate at the proscribed rate of 1 point per day, up to whatever maximum they have.

I don't have my 3rd ed on hand at the moment, but I am unsure how to price this in comparison to everything else. Als

Last edited by Desthro; 06-16-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Desthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: Essence Control from 3rd In Nomine

Are you going to make this the default for everyone, to have conscious Essence Control? (In which case making it a 0-point advantage is certainly an option for your campaign/setting.) Or do most people have the IN mundane human ability to only use it with Unconscious Only? (In which case... As I recall, we were basing Essence somewhat off of Extra Fatigue? http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/in-nomine/mechanics/ suggests as much.)
Old 06-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Dalillama

In 3e, it was a kind of kludge based on Extra FP. In 4e, I'd start with an Energy Reserve, and modify from there.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
Desthro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Are you going to make this the default for everyone, to have conscious Essence Control? (In which case making it a 0-point advantage is certainly an option for your campaign/setting.) Or do most people have the IN mundane human ability to only use it with Unconscious Only? (In which case... As I recall, we were basing Essence somewhat off of Extra Fatigue? http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/in-nomine/mechanics/ suggests as much.)
Well, everyone is going to have conscious essence control, that's not the problem, it's the pricing of the pool I am kind of worried about. Because in 3.5 I believe it was 1pt to add a level of Essence, and for what I am intending to apply to it I think it should be a tad more pricey... Of course I could just give them 5 points as a 0-point feature. >.>
Old 06-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I'd go with DAlillama's suggestion, then -- treat as Energy Reserve, and then figure out the rest of the stuff piece-by-piece. Maybe take the rest of the bennies as individual powers, with a -10% of "exact value based on Essence Reserve"? Or just average how much Essence you'd expect someone to have at any given time and cost it from there. (That's what we did on a lot of attunements/Distinctions, as I recall.)
Old 06-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Desthro

Thanks a lot for your input i'll try and juggle it and see what I come up with I want it to be purchasable, but if it's too much i might break down and just base it off of HT/2 or something.

Tags
gurps in nomine, in nomine