Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Hellboy
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Default Optional Damage to Cloaks

Checking out B287 DR and HP for cloaks. And wondering about B484 rules. Makes sense for cutting/impaling/fire... But having hard time imagining a 2 damage punch is able to damage a cloak....

Is this because it is being held taut by the defender making it more able to rip?

In situations where it is not (lessay, my cloak is bundled loosy on the ground and enemy is just punching it) wouldn't some resistance/DR against crushing attacks make sense?
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Optional Damage to Cloaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Checking out B287 DR and HP for cloaks. And wondering about B484 rules. Makes sense for cutting/impaling/fire... But having hard time imagining a 2 damage punch is able to damage a cloak....

Is this because it is being held taut by the defender making it more able to rip?

In situations where it is not (lessay, my cloak is bundled loosy on the ground and enemy is just punching it) wouldn't some resistance/DR against crushing attacks make sense?
A cloak in use is not held taut. It probably should be resistant to crushing damage
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Optional Damage to Cloaks

I'm not entirely sure what the cloak as a shield is supposed to represent. It could just be 'wrap it around your arm and then block with your arm', which is a completely realistic thing to do, but it's not clearly a cloak skill, it's more like brawling parry plus heavy layered cloth armor on your forearm. All the other options I can think of are better described as a parry or obscurement.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Optional Damage to Cloaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Checking out B287 DR and HP for cloaks. And wondering about B484 rules. Makes sense for cutting/impaling/fire... But having hard time imagining a 2 damage punch is able to damage a cloak....

Is this because it is being held taut by the defender making it more able to rip?

In situations where it is not (lessay, my cloak is bundled loosy on the ground and enemy is just punching it) wouldn't some resistance/DR against crushing attacks make sense?
Author James Loriega visited a HEMA school in Spain where the cloak was mentioned. Descriptions make it sound more like a whip then a shield.

Probably a direct parry would be impossible, but you can tangle the weapon or better yet the arm and you can blind your opponent with a whack at the eye long enough to set up your attack. Or things like that.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
evileeyore
 
evileeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 100 hurricane swamp
Default Re: Optional Damage to Cloaks

It's primary use is distraction and to parry aside lightweight blades.
__________________
Feel free to steal, borrow, fold, spindle, mutilate any rule, advantage, etc I come up with it.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Optional Damage to Cloaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
It's primary use is distraction and to parry aside lightweight blades.
Right. It can probably parry a small sword as not all of these had edges and those that did mainly had it to prevent grasping.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:48 AM   #7
Tomsdad
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Default Re: Optional Damage to Cloaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
A cloak in use is not held taut. It probably should be resistant to crushing damage
yep,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I'm not entirely sure what the cloak as a shield is supposed to represent. It could just be 'wrap it around your arm and then block with your arm', which is a completely realistic thing to do, but it's not clearly a cloak skill, it's more like brawling parry plus heavy layered cloth armor on your forearm. All the other options I can think of are better described as a parry or obscurement.
The cloak is held loose in the hand and used to effect the fight much like a shield or weapon would. (terms themselves that are not mutually exclusive in RL)

link to an article on it

Bit of re-enactment that looks pretty kosher
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:06 AM   #8
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Optional Damage to Cloaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I would describe everything in that video as use of an entangling weapon to parry. I see no justification for a non-zero DB, or for it being effective against missile weapons (it's comparable utility to a main-gauche, which does not have either one).
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.