Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

Because I know it will come up, what happens when:

A cone attack hits a PC and they want to block with their (large) shield?

An explosion attack hits the PC and they want to block with their (large) shield?

A very large melee weapon hits the PC and they want to block with their (large) shield?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'
 
simply Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wyoming, Michigan
Default Re: Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
A cone attack hits a PC and they want to block with their (large) shield?
Pretty sure cones are area attacks, which cannot be blocked or parried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
An explosion attack hits the PC and they want to block with their (large) shield?
Take a Ready maneuver or several to kneel behind the shield and use it as Cover DR, not a block. Because you can't block an area effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
A very large melee weapon hits the PC and they want to block with their (large) shield?
The attack gets blocked. If you use the optional damage to shields rule, the shield might be damaged or destroyed and the arm underneath might take some damage too.
__________________
Ba-weep granah wheep minibon. Wubba lubba dub dub.
simply Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #3
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Pretty sure cones are area attacks, which cannot be blocked or parried.
.
The player seems to believe that standing behind a (large) shield is equivalent to standing behind cover. I am unable to disuade them of this notion as it kind of makes sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Pretty sure cones are area attacks, which cannot be blocked or parried.
.
The knight ducking behind a shield to avoid dragon breath is in so many pictures it seems to make sense as an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post

The attack gets blocked. If you use the optional damage to shields rule, the shield might be damaged or destroyed and the arm underneath might take some damage too.

You can't though block a speeding car with a shield in real life. I am talking about a massive weapon for a giant.

I suppose resolving the damage and knockback might make some sense, but a bit of damage to the arm seems dubious when you are hit by a two handed sword for a ST40+ giant.

I am also a bit unclear of when a shield take damage. Is it every block? or just where the DB makes the difference.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'
 
simply Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wyoming, Michigan
Default Re: Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
The player seems to believe that standing behind a (large) shield is equivalent to standing behind cover. I am unable to disuade them of this notion as it kind of makes sense to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
The knight ducking behind a shield to avoid dragon breath is in so many pictures it seems to make sense as an option
The large shield doesn't completely cover you, it covers more like from your knees to your chest. So you kneel behind it and use it as Cover DR instead of as a Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
You can't though block a speeding car with a shield in real life. I am talking about a massive weapon for a giant.
If you're using breakable shields as a rule, then a shield can't block more than (HP+DR) damage, I'm pretty sure. It's just that from the Basic Set, this is almost always more than enough to stop any reasonable-sized muscle-powered attack.

If an attack does enough damage to destroy the shield outright, the first thing that gets hurt is the arm using the shield and you can use Overpenetration rules to see where it goes from there.

And a lot of attacks are simply marked as "Cannot be Blocked or Parried", so you can neither block them nor parry them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
I am also a bit unclear of when a shield take damage. Is it every block? or just where the DB makes the difference.
Only when DB makes the difference, or when it's being used as Cover (since passive environmental fixtures always take damage).
__________________
Ba-weep granah wheep minibon. Wubba lubba dub dub.
simply Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

I don't believe they ever bothered to actually publish rules for using a shield as cover, unfortunately.

But yes, it's logically possible with a large enough shield and the right positioning.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
GWJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I don't believe they ever bothered to actually publish rules for using a shield as cover, unfortunately.

But yes, it's logically possible with a large enough shield and the right positioning.
Maybe something like this will eventually emerge in Pyramid :)
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #7
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
The large shield doesn't completely cover you, it covers more like from your knees to your chest. So you kneel behind it and use it as Cover DR instead of as a Block.
Only you cant kneel you can only dodge and drop....

So is dropping to your knees an dodge and drop and the shield takes the damage?
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:30 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Default Re: Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Only you cant kneel you can only dodge and drop....

So is dropping to your knees an dodge and drop and the shield takes the damage?
Taking cover behind a shield as an active defense is asking for more than just taking cover behind the shield.
__________________
I don't know any 3e, so there is no chance that I am talking about 3e rules by accident.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #9
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'
 
simply Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wyoming, Michigan
Default Re: Shields, explosions, area effects, cones and large area attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Only you cant kneel you can only dodge and drop....

So is dropping to your knees an dodge and drop and the shield takes the damage?
No, you aren't doing it in Active Defense timeframe, you're seeing the dragon telegraph his flame breath several turns ahead of time and setting up behind your shield accordingly over multiple turns of your own.
__________________
Ba-weep granah wheep minibon. Wubba lubba dub dub.
simply Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
block, cones, explosions, gurps, shields

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.