Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 01-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
litlfrog

Default Question about mortals and die mechanics

I'm gearing up to run my first IN game soon. In researching some of the pitfalls others have run across, I noticed that many players say that the d666 mechanic doesn't "scale well" for mortals to be good at much. I don't think Bob the Bouncer should be able to win a wrestling match against a Malakite of Stone, but I would like a system where a cop can fight and a scholar can research successfully without GM fudging. What say you, experienced IN players and GMs?
Chief Jesuit in the Church of Firefly
"Without art, we're just baboons with car keys."
litlfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Padre

Default Re: Question about mortals and die mechanics

My theory on this is to extend the Risk Mechanic. Default IN allows players to take a -1 to their check digits in return for a +1 on the target number for success. You could extend this as far as -5 to CD/+5 to TN, representing somebody taking an incredibly small amount of risk in return for a much higher chance of success.

If the negative to CD would reduce it below 1, count it as 1.

What this results in is an environment where mundane, low-skilled humans still achieve things from day to day simply because they don't take risks and play it safe, whereas celestials have the stat numbers to be able to take risks now and then.

You may want to limit this ability for extreme risk avoidance to mundanes (play it as part of their familiarity with the Corporeal plane, or something) or set limits to it (say only allowing a -3/+3 shift) depending on what works out best for you.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
milliken

The Corporeal Players Guide tried to make humans more viable, with a number of suggestions. I don't recall the details offhand, since I've never had human PCs that much, so I haven't had to deal with it much.

I think part of it was that humans didn't need to roll for skills they used routinely, like Driving or their professional skills, except under extraordinary circumstances.

---Walter
milliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
iamevan

Also humans can start with a number of skills without haveing to pay for them. Skills like ones relating to hobbies, drivieing, and swiming.
iamevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I think they said all the stuff I might have, yeah. If you have a lot of human activity, the CPG is really useful. It also included Mastery (close to no-fail) and some other stuff about when a human character doesn't need to play with the dice.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
I think they said all the stuff I might have, yeah. If you have a lot of human activity, the CPG is really useful.
I would go so far as to say that if any Mortals are significant Characters in your game you need the CPG. It's the best IN Supplement in my opinion.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tips