Thread: Canon or GURPS
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
William

Default Re: Canon or GURPS

Beth's referring mostly to some situations that came up in my game, which I discussed here. I chose to run a Marches-oriented game, which broadened the scope of possible NPCs and settings considerably -- the game became almost traditional fantasy. (On the down side, it was very hard to get humans on scene consistently.) We had to make some modifications to the Ethereal combat rules to make combats shorter; a celestial with a high IQ will take a long time to fail a consciousness roll and disperse, and in the meantime there's not much you can do to somebody whose Mind Hits are already at 0! So we made it auto-fail, IIRC.

Ditto celestial combat, by the way, which took ages unless we auto-stripped a Force every time someone was reduced to 0 Soul Hits before they reset.

Stylistically, there is also the problem that almost every combat statistic in the Marches ends up defaulting to or off of IQ. There's practically no point to any of the physical statistics in a realm where everything is mental.

However, these are very specialized problems. If your game is mostly corporeal, with occasional jaunts to the Marches, it will be a lot more reasonable.
William is offline   Reply With Quote