View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #13
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

I've never understood that. Not even intellectually, especially not now with DFRPG.

That someone will happily sit down with Pathfinder and make a character with no quibbles and then complain that DFRPG is "complicated"?!?!?! It blows my mind.
The salient comparison isn't RPG A vs. RPG B; it's RPGs vs. board games. Relative to board games, most RPGs are complicated.

Right now, the games market is on a treadmill: New stuff shows up on Kickstarter or in shops, flashes in the pan, and is replaced in a matter of days to weeks by newer stuff. People want to buy, learn, play, and move on from their new purchases on roughly that schedule. The attention span needed for a "grow your lovingly built character" game isn't there, so RPG creators are largely out of luck unless they keep their rules at board-game-level complexity.

Which isn't to say that nobody plays or has fun with RPGs! But speaking as a publisher, the people who buy once and then play forever aren't the income stream that people who buy new games weekly are.

There are exceptions. D&D and its derivatives have the momentum of history and a massive corporate sales engine on their side. If you're not part of that, then your alternative is to do as I said: Shoot for board-game-level complexity. I believe that's the goal for TFT.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote